Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

Old Nov 2nd 2021, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One stop advice service for returning to the UK?

Originally Posted by dean350
Your main issue will be dealing with the requirement to get a residency visa for your wife. EU citizens no longer have the right to live in the UK even if they have been married to a UK citizen for many years. It will cost you about 7K GBP all in over five years to get what is effectively permanent residency for your wife (its called Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK). You will also have to show that you have had 62,000 GBP in a bank account for six months to do this. I am faced with the same issue in a couple of years time.

You will be able to bring money in and HMRC will not tax you on that.
You don't have to show 62,500 GBP in savings if you have a job to go to in the UK, and/or pensions which meet the financial requirements. You also don't have to have had the savings in an account for 6 months if the money has come from assets you have owned prior to the sale of assets.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

FlameAura is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Maybe not.

I'm still gobsmacked by the financial requirements - not the paperwork.
The financial requirements should be increased if anything. If you can't get a job paying £10/hr to meet the requirements then you shouldn't be bringing any spouse over.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 9:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlameAura
The financial requirements should be increased if anything. If you can't get a job paying £10/hr to meet the requirements then you shouldn't be bringing any spouse over.
Sorry, but I maintain that a British citizen should have a right to live in their own country with whomever they choose as a spouse irrespective of their earning power. It's a personal matter, not a matter for the state.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 11:38 am
Just Joined

kstokell is an unknown quantity at this point

Your main issue will be dealing with the requirement to get a residency visa for your wife. EU citizens no longer have the right to live in the UK even if they have been married to a UK citizen for many years. It will cost you about 7K GBP all in over five years to get what is effectively permanent residency for your wife (its called Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK). You will also have to show that you have had 62,000 GBP in a bank account for six months to do this. I am faced with the same issue in a couple of years time.

You will be able to bring money in and HMRC will not tax you on that.
Fortunately for us we have a small nest-egg from the sale of our house in the Netherlands so the lump sum of 62,000 GBP will be no problem. I am curious though how the 7K GBP is built up over five the years prior to settled status being awarded, is it a lump sum or an annual fee?
Old Nov 4th 2021, 11:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kstokell
Fortunately for us we have a small nest-egg from the sale of our house in the Netherlands so the lump sum of 62,000 GBP will be no problem. I am curious though how the 7K GBP is built up over five the years prior to settled status being awarded, is it a lump sum or an annual fee?
Fees below, in GBP
First visa - Leave to enter visa - 1,523
Second visa 2.5 years later - Further leave to remain visa - 1,033
Third visa 2.5 years later - Indefinite leave to remain visa - 2,389
International Health Surcharge (IHS) - 624 per annum x 5 years (paid upfront along with leave to enter and further leave to remain visa application fees)

British citizenship by naturalisation - 1,330
Old Nov 4th 2021, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

kstokell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Fees below, in GBP
First visa - Leave to enter visa - 1,523
Second visa 2.5 years later - Further leave to remain visa - 1,033
Third visa 2.5 years later - Indefinite leave to remain visa - 2,389
International Health Surcharge (IHS) - 624 per annum x 5 years (paid upfront along with leave to enter and further leave to remain visa application fees)

British citizenship by naturalisation - 1,330
Wow! I Wasn't expecting that, still I suppose she's worth it 😉!
Old Nov 4th 2021, 12:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kstokell
Wow! I Wasn't expecting that, still I suppose she's worth it 😉!
I'm sure she is. Maybe no expensive birthday or Christmas presents for 5 years though
Old Nov 6th 2021, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that, as with any third country applicant seeking to join their spouse in the UK, the spouse needs to demonstrate an income of £18,600 if they don't wish to use, or don't have, sufficient savings.

This, I'm afraid, is one of the benefits of Brexit, and of course I'm referring to the abolution of Free movement which affects the spouse of the OP as well as dean350 , not the financial requirement which we are subject and have been so for many years.

Last edited by theoldgit; Nov 6th 2021 at 4:41 am.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

delete