Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which one to follow Head or Heart

Which one to follow Head or Heart

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which one to follow Head or Heart

Originally Posted by nicky1969
Dont really post much on here, but ive taken the plunge!! We arrived in Perth, June 2010 myself, oh & 2 kids, I remember when we were about to sign the house over saying to one another shall we go for it or not, and we both decided to give it a shot because i think the regret of not giving it a go would have always of been greater than not. Probably like most of you, we have a good life, we were comfortable, nice home etc, we just thought we would give it a go. Well i can tell you from the minute i arrived i thought "what the hell have i done", we moved into rental, kids settled in school, made new friends who i have to say i really dont know what i would of done without (probably been back in the uk long ago), i found job after 6 months of applying, all this time i have shred tears after tears, I would wake up on a morning with one eye and say am i dreaming, its been a total tester on our relationship, my oh keeps saying hang in there, youll get through this, etc etc, I feel he is really not listening to me, as like so many stories oh loves it and i just cant bare the thought of staying here. I hear the same old you have to give it 2 years lark, but i know in my heart its not home, not for me anyway. I feel i just dont belong here and im also scared about going back and not belonging there (if you can relate to this im not sure). My oh says its for the kids we are doing this, is it selfish of me to take my family back just because of my feelings. My head is in a turmoil, I know its good to bring kids up here, but my heart is to return home.

Hopefully will make the right decision, come what may
There should be a health warning on migrating.....lol....seriously you really have to do what is right for you as well....we lived in Perth for 12 years and it was mostly okay.....we made friends from all walks of life and really did not do the "Pommy thing" ie just struck up friendships with people from the old country etc....we have been "back home" nearly 9 months now and so far have no regrets...its home...for us that was the main thing Perth was not and for all the travelling around Aus etc and making sure we took time out to explore everthing on our doorstep it still was not home no matter how hard we tried....we were "advised" keep trying...go to the pub with all the brits.....northern soul nights...move north of the river.....if I was being honest I would say it "did" us all good in a way but we payed a price like you do in life...we now know what we appreciate and what we took for granted...as I always say though "everyone has their own story" you just have to work out what is really important to you.....it is easier in some ways for Men....they go to work...sarni's packed....come home to a meal....etc....kids are sorted.....so nothing really new there, for the main the woman are the homemakers whether we like it or not....and home for me is also where the heart is....your trying something knew so it will be strange at first, sometimes I think time can also make you go with the flow whether you like it or not, its easier to do that, we never worried about not fitting in when we returned home, we were a bit wiser after our time away. Good luck xxx
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:42 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Typical woman
Yeah and like a typical man he caved at the first site of a few tears...works everytime
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pommybird
You simply throw a complete wobbler, collapse to the floor kicking and screaming and then shout in a high pitched voice 'I hate it here, I've always hated it here.'

Then you book some one way tickets to the UK, present them to the OH whilst stating in an assertive tone, 'it's Australia/Canada/US/Mozambique (delete as applicable), or me, make your choice' and then storm off out the room in a huff and pray he decides to come with you.

Well it worked for me
Love it! It makes me feel better just to read it, but is there a more subtle, sophisticated way of doing that, though?
Anyone?