Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ok, you can whack me if you want!!!

View Poll Results: should we emigrate back to canada-if so, when?
now, before its too late
39.13%
later once the kids education is over
21.74%
leave the kid with his g/parents and the rest of us go
13.04%
forget about emigrating-let the kids finish their education in the uk
28.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

ok, you can whack me if you want!!!

Old May 4th 2005, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, you can whack me if you want!!!

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi, iaink, matey! thanks to you and also everyone else who has posted so far! we were running out of ideas, so thats the reason why i thought we may as well put it to the vote, too. sorry, iaink, if i'm driving you lot nuts, but imagine how we feel!! we are in absolute limboland at the mo, going back n forth from one idea to another--quite funny really, in a very not-so-funny situation, if you see what i mean! one of the problems my kid had was that he was mistakenly placed in a top level class for his year in canada, due to the mistaken belief over there that education standards are far superior in the uk than canada. so that resulted in my kid being taught university level theory, when in essence he had only left year 9 of secondary school in the uk!! of, course, he felt he was a thicko, as 90% of what the teacher was saying just went above his head! i tried to get him moved to a lower, normal standard class, but apparently he felt that would be like being put with below-normal kids!! so obviously, when we came back to the uk, he fitted straight in as normal--no pressure, no nothing, easy-peasy life! just to show you, altho he will be in GCSE from september this year, in the time we have been back here, thats around 12 weeks, i have only seen him doing homework around 5 or 6 times!! and the rest of the school kids say that is normal here......! the other thing is, he is a quiet lad, and not very social, so he probably had trouble making friends in canada, as he never went around to his mate's houses nor did anyone come round to meet him. then there is the spectre of first doing a batchelors degree for 3 yrs, then being taken on at medical school for another 5 years, making a total of 8 yrs, whereas here in the uk he says he can do his A levels and get straight into med school and be out qualified in 5 yrs (plus 1 yr for the A levels of course). phew! basically, thats all it boils down to! as for listening to the kids, iaink, well, i dont know--how would you feel if we forced him to accompany us, then he just completely went wild over there, out of control, as revenge for forcing him? we would have lost control of a dear son! as i say, nothing is writ in stone yet--we are still postulating (sounds like a dirt word, heehee!), and the more replies we get plus the more votes we get on the poll, will sort of help ua to amke our judgements, remembering of course to keep whats important to our family intact!
Hi.. Forgive me if I am incorrect, but from your post, are you saying you have been back in the UK for 12 weeks?
Old May 4th 2005, 1:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Hi.. Forgive me if I am incorrect, but from your post, are you saying you have been back in the UK for 12 weeks?
To be fair, he was only in Canada for a little longer than that!
Old May 4th 2005, 1:11 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I think you will find that Julius does not do what anyone on here wants him to do. LOL!! We all tried to tell him that it was just culture shock and for him to hang around in Canada until it subsided and then make a decision.......Julius decided to return to England regardless.
Seems like he is in culture shock now too, only this time it's the UK. Maybe he should consider giving himself some more time to try and settle. I've been here in Florida 3 years and only really just starting to get that settled feeling. You really can't make a decision about a place in 6 months or even worse 12 weeks. Feeling at home and comfortable with a place is a long process. This is really not the time to be making such knee jerk reactions.
Old May 4th 2005, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I realize I'm not British nor am I Canadian nor am I an immigrant. However, I felt compelled to participate in your poll and I hope that my participation does not cause a problem for anyone here.

My thoughts are from the old school of parenting. The parents are the ones in control of the household, not the children. While it is nice of parents to allow their children to have a voice in minor day to day decisions such as what to have for dinner, which movie to go to, etc., major changes to a family's lifestyle is the sole responsibility of the parents. Sounds harsh to today's young parents, I'm sure. But I'm 56 and my children are raised and living on their own. They do not and did not consult me on whom they chose to live their lives with nor where they were to move to when they left home. Once they were adults and financially self-sufficient, they had earned the right to make the sole decisions on their lives and lifestyles. Until that day arrived, regardless of their ages, they were living under my domain and had to adhere to house rules even at the age of 30.

I see today's society as being far to permissive with children and allowing them freedom to make decisions that their minds and emotions are not equipped to make in a responsible manner. An 8, 9, 10 or 14 year old child is just that ... a child. They are not adults and even the law does not treat them as adults when they commit heinous crimes against society. Why are parents giving them responsibilities that they are ill equipped to deal with.

If you and your wife have carefully researched the return to Canada and weighted the pros and cons for yourselves and what they are for your children and your decision is that the best place in the world for you to be at this time in is Canada, then go to Canada. Your sons are planning careers in medicine you said. Do you think this profession will coddle your son and that he will advance far in his field of choice if he is unable to deal, at his young age with the added educational challenges presented to him in Canada? By allowing him to remain in the UK with his grandparents so he can attend a school where he is not expected to be challenged academically are you doing him a favor?

The choice of where you live is up to you. Remember that it is YOUR choice. Not the choice of your sons.

Rete

Flame retardant suit is in place ...

Last edited by Rete; May 4th 2005 at 1:18 pm.
Old May 4th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Flame retardant suit is in place ...
No flame thrower from this direction. As an example allowing 16/17 years olds to vote. More pre-occupied with the first love story and certainly as a general rule not able to decide between Tory/Labour/Lib Dem. Even I have trouble seeing the differences and I doubt many 20 somethings ever sat through days of no electricity/gas/local services as I recall doing in the lovely days of the 70's. Experience and world knowledge should come with age but not always.
Old May 4th 2005, 1:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Seems like he is in culture shock now too, only this time it's the UK. Maybe he should consider giving himself some more time to try and settle. I've been here in Florida 3 years and only really just starting to get that settled feeling. You really can't make a decision about a place in 6 months or even worse 12 weeks. Feeling at home and comfortable with a place is a long process. This is really not the time to be making such knee jerk reactions.
In this case I dont think it is culture shock, as they werent ever in Canada long enough to get used to a new culture. I think its just a fresh reminder of the reasons they wanted to leave in the first place that were forgotten on arriving in Canada.
Old May 4th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in the US for 3 years now and it took my son probably 12-18 months to really settle in at school and find a group of really good friends. He loves it here now and considers it home.

During those first 18 months he went through some really tough times and a couple of times we really did consider all moving back to the UK but we stuck with it and eventually everything turned out OK. At no point did we ever consider sending him back to the UK to be with his grandparents (who would have loved having him). We would have missed him terribly and his younger sister would be completely lost without him even though they do fight like cat and dog most of the time. Plus I wouldn't want my parents having to go through the trauma of living with a teenager in the house again, they've done it 3 times already.

When children visit their grandparents for a couple of days or weeks they think it's great because they get spoiled and can do more or less what they want but living with them permanently is another matter.

Can't offer you any advice but whatever you decide stick with that decision and good luck.
Old May 4th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure after a few weeks of Canada and then 12 weeks in the Uk your not getting into a trap of being scared to commit yourselves to any one place. Making the decision to move is hard, the moving process is pretty easy however making a life and working through issues is the really tough part.
Old May 4th 2005, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

My thoughts are from the old school of parenting.
I think there lies the problem in that nowadays it's very tough to apply the principles of yesteryear good parenting. Family life now seems to be under attack from every direction and children are too easily given the ammunition they need to make life so difficult for parents. Personally I've tried the approach of not just requiring respect from my children (simply because I'm their Dad) but also as they've grown in earning it through my actions. I believe it's worked for me and as my daughters have grown up I think it's all about mutual respect and once they start becoming young adults working hard to keep the communication open at all times. Of course as individuals we are going to have our own set of standards that we wish to apply but I think that above a certain age we must give careful consideration to what our children need (and desire) and not to think we always know what's best. After all is moving to another continent really what's best? It has to be considered as a calculated gamble.

In summary all I'm saying is that our children are not stupid and will learn to make judgements themselves on what decisions we make. If we don't know what we want ourselves or we can't stick with it they notice these things. What do we want from our children? Their love and respect or to just do as we tell them because we are always right?
Old May 4th 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Anybody notice that MrsG voted?
Old May 4th 2005, 6:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Anybody notice that MrsG voted?
I Dont think its that MrsG, judging by other posts.
Old May 4th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
I Dont think its that MrsG, judging by other posts.
Sorry. I am obviously not up to speed.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

who's Mrs G?
Old May 4th 2005, 10:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ladylisa
who's Mrs G?
Theres "MrsG" who voted in this poll, and theres Glaswegians better half, who often signed "Mrs G" AFAIK they are unrelated. Glaswegian is sadly missed from the canada forum since work interfered with his leasure time and he retired to get on with real life rather than hang around here. I'm actually rather jealous as I cant break my addiction Probably time to try again though.