Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

back in NZ after 2 wks in UK

back in NZ after 2 wks in UK

Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road
Default back in NZ after 2 wks in UK

Just reporting back. Had a lovely holiday with friends and family, and am now back in NZ. I've been in NZ 13 years and have never settled completely, always had that yearning for home. But after this time, it's gone. I've been back to the UK 5 times over those years and this time I enjoyed my time there, but could not imagine living there again. It's taken a long time to feel like this, but I knew 5 minutes after leaving Heathrow that I would not move back. We have a wonderful life here in Napier, my 3 boys have a great lifestyle and we have things so easy compared to back there. I like the space we have for the boys, the outdoor living, the better weather, the friendlier schooling, the more laid back everything. My trip to Asda was stressful and I'd rather my lack of choice down the road here than experience that kind of shopping every week. YUK, not for me anymore. What I did enjoy was the chips and mushy peas!! But I can live without them!!! Anyway, I'm sure I'll get tons of people telling me why I should love it there, but honestly, I would not swap my life now. Flying back into Napier was brilliant, small plane coming into our little airport with the hills and ocean and vineyards. It was such a great feeling to know I could finally call it home. I'm so pleased I spent the money so I can now get on with my life here.

All the best to everyone deciding where to live, it's a hell of a journey, but after 13 years I think mine has finished. From now on it will be a matter of when and how I can go back to visit family.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:03 pm
Merlot

Default Re: back in NZ after 2 wks in UK

Originally Posted by DaisyNZ
Just reporting back. Had a lovely holiday with friends and family, and am now back in NZ. I've been in NZ 13 years and have never settled completely, always had that yearning for home. But after this time, it's gone. I've been back to the UK 5 times over those years and this time I enjoyed my time there, but could not imagine living there again. It's taken a long time to feel like this, but I knew 5 minutes after leaving Heathrow that I would not move back. We have a wonderful life here in Napier, my 3 boys have a great lifestyle and we have things so easy compared to back there. I like the space we have for the boys, the outdoor living, the better weather, the friendlier schooling, the more laid back everything. My trip to Asda was stressful and I'd rather my lack of choice down the road here than experience that kind of shopping every week. YUK, not for me anymore. What I did enjoy was the chips and mushy peas!! But I can live without them!!! Anyway, I'm sure I'll get tons of people telling me why I should love it there, but honestly, I would not swap my life now. Flying back into Napier was brilliant, small plane coming into our little airport with the hills and ocean and vineyards. It was such a great feeling to know I could finally call it home. I'm so pleased I spent the money so I can now get on with my life here.

All the best to everyone deciding where to live, it's a hell of a journey, but after 13 years I think mine has finished. From now on it will be a matter of when and how I can go back to visit family.
Hi there Hun

Great to hear you are back safely and being so much more resolved to where you belong, must be a wonderful feeling.

As you said a hell of a journey, many of us are on that path and appreciate you sharing your story.

Best wishes for your future in NZ.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 9:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to hear that you have found a sense of certainty about your situation.

I don't think you'll get many people on this part of the site telling you you're crazy. Even those (like me) who think the UK is the best seem to respect that others may prefer their lives in NZ, Oz, US, wherever.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's wonderful you feel settled. Everyone wants different things from life and thats not wrong! You should have that freedom to find your own place that feels home to you (without others putting you down and telling you that you're wrong.)
Now, to get on with your life and your future!
Old Apr 9th 2005, 11:50 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere to call home - isn't that really the ultimate achievement? I envy you.
From someone who's travelled for far too long.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:40 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post, Daisy. I share your thought that the idea of going back to live in UK is a bit offputting! We might have to do it for a few years to get my kids speaking perfect English and to earn some money
Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:11 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

I think that is wonderful that you have finally feel that NZ is your home, its a great feeling isn't it when you finally realise where home is for you. As for the chips and mushy peas, just think of the calories!! you can look forward to having them when you visit on holiday.

Susan
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Daisy

What a treat to read your post.
Like you (before your last trip), I often feel "where is home" and feel that I should now be settled and not still pine for Scotland.
It is encouraging to read that sometimes it takes a little longer, but it does come for some people.
Enjoy your family and life in NZ.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Kiwilamb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Daisy, this might seem a bit silly but homemade mushy peas can be had in NZ. As an ex-pat northerner, it seems a crime to have battered fish and chips without the peas but I couldn't find the type which are steeped over night and then boiled to liquification for a couple of hours. I have recently hit upon green split peas which I found in the local Supervalue. I found the receipe on the internet but its real simple, put them in a pan add water and simmer for a while until mushy, add seasoning to taste - nothing to it.

I am still at a loss for double cream though so if anyone has any tips on that .....
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Woolworths sell, Batchelors, {made in the UK} mushy peas, ordinary style and chip shop style. Just discovered them last week...delicious !!!

I was looking for the dried peas. The assistant repeated the word ma-ro-fat as if it was in a foreign language !!!

As for finding marrowfat peas to home make mushy peas, these could take over from bisto gravy granules as the mysterious missing item.

Gill
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, we have a couple of supermarkets locally that sell cans of mushy peas. They are nice, but just not the same as from a chip shop with those English soggy chips!!! I once made my own too. I used what we called 'blue peas' which then needed soaking overnight. I presume they are the same. But that was 10 years ago, before the days of 'English' shelves at the supermarket, and having loads of expats all over the place. I swear I was the only one back then!! LOL.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:43 pm
Franklin

Good for you! Karma coming your way!