Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

Old Mar 30th 2009, 8:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
full-time being the difference
True enough.
I was just working on the basis that people generally mean full time when talking about having a job.

Originally Posted by exvj
I wouldn't like to think I was going back to any country to go on income support. It's a pretty humiliating experience nowadays from all accounts.
When I was on it in 1976 for 3 months it was easy peasy and no problema and we sat in comfy seats and had a chat and they sent me the giro through the mail every 2 weeks and didnt even need me to turn up (more than 7 miles from an office) - but since thatcher/blair and the common use of hard drugs everywhere, it's pretty humilating sat there with all the drunks and junkies and hopeless people and security screens and notices about violence etc etc and they have toughened up a lot on the regs
Yes...just passing through the doorway can be unpleasant enough in some offices.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 5:19 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OK The biggie - Can we 'claim'?

Ah, come on - you're suggesting that DSS offices are a cross between a punk gig and Gin Lane based on your experience from 30 years ago? I was on it ten years ago and it was all pretty civilised and relatively efficient. Not worse than a railway waiting room, for instance. Luckily I wasn't totally dependent on it (there were a couple of weeks' delay) but everything went fine.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That article is about migrants...this person is a UK citizen.
The article is ambiguous fluff on the BBC website, unfortunately. For instance, it says "The basic principle behind the rules is that nobody is allowed to claim income-related benefits without meeting new residential rules and registering as a worker". But it doesn't mean nobody...

In any case, citizenship is not necessarily the important factor in benefits, entitlements etc - residency in previous years can be much more important. Just because you're allowed in the country legally, it doesn't mean you're entitled to make a claim. Unfortunately, there's no concise summary that I can see on the DWP website...

"The rules for some benefits are different if you have just come to Great Britain, even if you are a United Kingdom (UK) national. These extra rules vary and for some benefits and services, there are no extra rules."
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/work...ing_abroad.asp
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Upon our return, (missus, 3 kids under 16 & myself), can we claim 'benefits' until we find employment again? My family in UK says not as we haven't paid NI for just over 2 years.

No an ideal situation, we would prefer to be going back to jobs and will move heaven and earth 'til we get 'em!!! In the meantime the kids will keep asking for this food stuff.....
(SNIP)
seriously go to citizens advice bureau they will put you in touch with people who can help.Normally the DHSS can be very unhelpfull

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 31st 2009 at 11:56 am. Reason: Removed reported remark
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:38 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you've worked in an EU country and paid NI there is a possibility that you can claim job seekers allowance( the old unemployment benefit) by reciprocal arrangement ( the DSS will look into this when you make a claim) and if not you would be looking at the means tested income support ( as long as you or partner are not working over 16 hrs per week).
I have not worked in benefits for years but that was how it was, there is someone on the site that has worked for DSS hopefully they'll be along to help.
But when I was assessing benefits people came straight from abroad and were able to (and did) make a claim for income support straight away.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:45 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are DSS help lines you can ring now for advice, contact them.
But if there is a possibility that you can claim something make a claim.
they may try to put you off saying that you won't be eligeable for benefit but the adjudication section of benefits will decide that, not the person on reception.
I saw too many people being turned away by inexperienced staff that would be entitled to benefits.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terese677
But when I was assessing benefits people came straight from abroad and were able to (and did) make a claim for income support straight away.
That's pretty much why the HRT was brought in...to prevent benefit tourism.

Those entering the UK with Indefinite Leave had the same rights as anyone resident in the UK and that includes the right to benefits.

There was certainly a time when Europeans and Commonwealth citizens could receive UK benefits easily...although this was supposed to be reported and could impact negatively on their rights to reside in the UK.

But plenty of people came in with "No recourse to Public Funds" stamped in their passports.

Originally Posted by terese677
I saw too many people being turned away by inexperienced staff that would be entitled to benefits.
Not just inexperienced staff....downright obstructive ones too. Yes, you, Debbie.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's pretty much why the HRT was brought in...to prevent benefit tourism..
HRT - Hormone replacement therapy?

Wondered why they all had beards in there