Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

O/T drivers liscense experience

O/T drivers liscense experience

Old Jun 27th 2004, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default O/T drivers liscense experience

For those of you following Angela's saga of obtaining a drivers license heres the latest development. After finally passing her written exam on the fourth attempt Angela passed her written exam. You see they give the exam in spanish but the eighty page drivers guide is only in english.

I snooped around and finally found a thirty year old out of print Louisiana drivers guide booklet in spanish. The maximum allowed speed was 55 MPH! She then passed with flying colors.

So we have been practicing for a few hours every day for two months now. Decided to go for the exam last Thursday. The nearest office is actually in a different city but I elected to go there as it was closer and more rural. Bad choice on my part.

I searched and search for my registration to no avail. No problem I'll just get a duplicate at the office. So we strolled and present Angela's learners permit, proof of insurance, and the request for a duplicate title. No problem, the lady takes my proof of insurance and enters the VIN in the computer and her eyes nearly pop out of their sockets!

She tried to retain her composure and discretely excused herself to "make a call." Turns out there was a red flag from when my car had been jacked back in November. In hindsight thats probably when " I lost" my registration.

Twelve dollars and ten minutes later with new registration in hand Angela and the examiner stroll out to the parking lot.Ten minutes later after checking wipers, lichts, turn signals the examiner gets in the cars and ask Angela to turn on the AC. It was broken. He then told her to back out to the right and head for the highway.

Angela put the car in reverse backed a short distance and stopped to verify which direction he wanted to her to back. She did this by asking..."Do you want me to go like this?" motioning in a leftward sweep of her hands to indicate backing out to the left and going right. The examiner told her to cut off the car and come inside.

He flunked her for not knowing how to operate the car. I explained that she was asking directions as to where they were going, not how to back the car. He wasn't open to any discussion. He exclaimed that shew certainly did understand him and she didn't know how to back the car, come back in 30 days...sigh. She does know how to back but I suppose we'll just practice for another 30 days and go to the metro office instead of returning to the country office.

Maybe the gay examiner didn't want to sweat a little. Or maybe is was the fact that I unwittingly brought Angela to the national capitol for racism. Or maybe she needs a little more practice. Oh well, 27 more days to go.

ALP & ALP
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:16 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: O/T drivers liscense experience

Originally posted by lpdiver
Maybe the gay examiner didn't want to sweat a little. Or maybe is was the fact that I unwittingly brought Angela to the national capitol for racism. Or maybe she needs a little more practice. Oh well, 27 more days to go.

ALP & ALP
It's probably the former, LP. I'm not sure about the racism though... Things will probably change as Angela becomes more Americanised... But then what do I know about racism.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

we will just go elsewhere. Denham Springs was the old stomping grounds of David Duke. A realtor told me I really didn't want to move there with a hispanic wife. I just didn't think about it crossing over into a governmental agency. My bad.

Originally posted by Ranjini
It's probably the former, LP. I'm not sure about the racism though... Things will probably change as Angela becomes more Americanised... But then what do I know about racism.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:56 pm
Banned

we will just go elsewhere. Denham Springs was the old stomping grounds of David Duke. A realtor told me I really didn't want to move there with a hispanic wife. I just didn't think about it crossing over into a governmental agency. My bad.

I am trying to picture this:

"Angela put the car in reverse backed a short distance and stopped to verify which direction he wanted to her to back. She did this by asking..."Do you want me to go like this?" motioning in a leftward sweep of her hands to indicate backing out to the left and going right. The examiner told her to cut off the car and come inside."

That was brutal. Poor Angela (and poor you). How does she feel about facing up to the test again? I was describing this scenario to my husband and he agrees with your take on the situation Move to the pacific northwest LP. We get less of that crap here....
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's my fault. I wanted to spare her from the fifteen way intersection at the other station. I simply forgot about the KKK and all the crap locally in the other small town. Instead she got exposed to a different problem. She has learned all about road rage already..lol. I'll send you a resume if you think it'd do any good...lol.

ALP & ALP

Originally posted by Ranjini
I am trying to picture this:

"Angela put the car in reverse backed a short distance and stopped to verify which direction he wanted to her to back. She did this by asking..."Do you want me to go like this?" motioning in a leftward sweep of her hands to indicate backing out to the left and going right. The examiner told her to cut off the car and come inside."

That was brutal. Poor Angela (and poor you). How does she feel about facing up to the test again? I was describing this scenario to my husband and he agrees with your take on the situation Move to the pacific northwest LP. We get less of that crap here....
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:19 pm
Banned

It's my fault. I wanted to spare her from the fifteen way intersection at the other station. I simply forgot about the KKK and all the crap locally in the other small town. Instead she got exposed to a different problem. She has learned all about road rage already..lol. I'll send you a resume if you think it'd do any good...lol.
ALP & ALP
A fifteen way intersection... all I've ever had to deal with was a four way Don't beat yourself up, LP... you just want to protect your wife and that's totally understandable...
Ranjini
Old Jun 27th 2004, 6:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

ALP & ALP
Driving test aside, if your city/state is that bigoted towards your wife, then why the hell are you still in the area? Why are you deliberating placing your wife, whom you love, admire and cherish, in a situation where she is going to almost daily face hostility, prejudice and quite likely physical harm?

Just trying to understand.

BTW I find it ironic that you mention racism in your post and yet you are the one to label the examiner with the term "gay" as if his sexual preferences had something to do with this.

Rete
Old Jun 27th 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have found bigotry and racism every where I have been. I also find good people everywhere too. This isn't the city where I live they just have a license office that is nearer to where I live than the one in my city.

She married a white American she is just stuck with the bigotry that goes with it. My objection is when decisions are made that affect my life based on that bigotry. Can't prove it, I just know it wasn't based on her driving skills. Communication skills maybe. I will insist accompaning her on the next exam.

I pity any body from Livingston Parish that thinks they are gonna harm my little Colombiana.

I really was just describibg the guy really. I am sure he wouldn't deny or object to being called gay. Is there a P/C prrase for gayness? Testicularly challenged? Nothing was really meant by it just as nothing would be meant by my describing my secretary as black. She is and he was gay and prissy. I think the true reason we failed was because he didn't want to get sweaty on the test drive with the AC broken and all that.

I was gonna swap to a different location but what the heck. would you let prejudice and racism force you to move?

Anthony

Originally posted by Rete
Driving test aside, if your city/state is that bigoted towards your wife, then why the hell are you still in the area? Why are you deliberating placing your wife, whom you love, admire and cherish, in a situation where she is going to almost daily face hostility, prejudice and quite likely physical harm?

Just trying to understand.

BTW I find it ironic that you mention racism in your post and yet you are the one to label the examiner with the term "gay" as if his sexual preferences had something to do with this.

Rete
Old Jun 27th 2004, 8:42 pm
Banned

I was gonna swap to a different location but what the heck. would you let prejudice and racism force you to move?

Anthony
Exactly what I was hoping you'd say Lp. Way to go!! Right now you are disappointed that Angela didn't pass her drivers test for questionable reasons. But that will pass, along with all the anxiety that goes with helping her cope with adjusting to a new environment. You will reap the rewards for being a good and understanding husband to your "little Colombiana"... Good luck with the next test. Keep us posted
Old Jun 27th 2004, 8:54 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you following Angela's saga of obtaining a drivers license heres the latest development. After finally passing her written exam on the fourth attempt Angela passed her written exam. You see they give the exam in spanish but the eighty page drivers guide is only in english.

I snooped around and finally found a thirty year old out of print Louisiana drivers guide booklet in spanish. The maximum allowed speed was 55 MPH! She then passed with flying colors.

So we have been practicing for a few hours every day for two months now. Decided to go for the exam last Thursday. The nearest office is actually in a different city but I elected to go there as it was closer and more rural. Bad choice on my part.

I searched and search for my registration to no avail. No problem I'll just get a duplicate at the office. So we strolled and present Angela's learners permit, proof of insurance, and the request for a duplicate title. No problem, the lady takes my proof of insurance and enters the VIN in the computer and her eyes nearly pop out of their sockets!

She tried to retain her composure and discretely excused herself to "make a call." Turns out there was a red flag from when my car had been jacked back in November. In hindsight thats probably when " I lost" my registration.

Twelve dollars and ten minutes later with new registration in hand Angela and the examiner stroll out to the parking lot.Ten minutes later after checking wipers, lichts, turn signals the examiner gets in the cars and ask Angela to turn on the AC. It was broken. He then told her to back out to the right and head for the highway.

Angela put the car in reverse backed a short distance and stopped to verify which direction he wanted to her to back. She did this by asking..."Do you want me to go like this?" motioning in a leftward sweep of her hands to indicate backing out to the left and going right. The examiner told her to cut off the car and come inside.

He flunked her for not knowing how to operate the car. I explained that she was asking directions as to where they were going, not how to back the car. He wasn't open to any discussion. He exclaimed that shew certainly did understand him and she didn't know how to back the car, come back in 30 days...sigh. She does know how to back but I suppose we'll just practice for another 30 days and go to the metro office instead of returning to the country office.

ALP & ALP
Ouch!! I am so sorry Tony!, what an as@%$&$!!! (Excuse my language). I can't believe he didn't even let her start the test
Give her a huggie from me please!!((ANGELA))
I took my driving test 3 years ago (for a minor license at that time) and the examinator was rude but I passed. I only drove for 5 minutes and that was it!. In Spain the examinator asked me to park 2 times, one was uphill and the other one was in a very busy street, I went on the highway.. city.. outskirts of the city.. 45 minutes later I was finished, I still hold the record for the longest driving test
I passed the writting and the driving test at first and paid 1000 Euros.. yeah that's how much it costs in Spain:scared:
His excuse was that I was very young and he wanted to make sure I was a good driver.. Crap! (Excuse me again!)
Hope she passes next time!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 8:59 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

ALP & ALP

Geez!!! What a bunch of ***** (Sorry again!!)
!!!
I have never been treated "different" and I am also latin (Spanish but latin!)!!
Poor little thing.. tell her we support her!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah sure you have Tweeky, your like me though you just never bother to notice.

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Geez!!! What a bunch of ***** (Sorry again!!)
!!!
I have never been treated "different" and I am also latin (Spanish but latin!)!!
Poor little thing.. tell her we support her!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:08 pm

I always get compliments on how beautiful Spain is and that my english is very good. So far so good. If I ever get treated differently.. I will fart on them!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Women don't fart! Do they?

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
I always get compliments on how beautiful Spain is and that my english is very good. So far so good. If I ever get treated differently.. I will fart on them!!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:54 pm
Banned

I think I know what tweeky is saying, LP. She probably gets less of that crap up in Colorado like here in Washington. If someone acts like they don't like me, I tend to think maybe they had a fight with the hubby in the morning or woke up from the wrong side of their bed I just wouldn't notice... it would go right over my head whoosh.... hehe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.