NZ-UK

Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ-UK

Just having a browse for RightMove... if we aren't going to ever buy a house in NZ I might as well look in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:52 am
Just Joined

HP74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope people dont mind me jumping on here. My husband and I are currently having a never ending debate around returning to the UK. We have been here 10 years and that was all good, then came the children, 3 of them under 3. I am really struggling without family in the same timezone and feeling quite unhappy with my life here, not sure how much better it would be in UK. Hubby not 100% swayed on the idea as love the lifestyle here but misses family and friends. I am keen to make a decision but dont really know where to begin. Also really worried I am taking a great opportunity away from kids. His job is not that flash at the moment lots of redundancies and I keep hoping it happens to him so we are forced into making a decision, otherwise I can see will will still be debating it when the kids are at school. How did you guys make the final decision??
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Originally Posted by HP74
How did you guys make the final decision??
Hiya

Sorry to hear that your struggling at the moment.

For us.. We never 100% settled in NZ and we've lived in Chch and AKL. We always felt in some sort of bubble if that makes sense?

I think we have always known we wouldn't want to be here when we get older and we had a great offer from my Dad for 6 months rent free living which pushed us that little quicker to move back as we were going to wait til next year and citizenship.

I am now starting day 3 of being back in the UK
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Just having a browse for RightMove... if we aren't going to ever buy a house in NZ I might as well look in the UK.
I live on Rightmove and pleased to see property is still affordable
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
Congratulations, you lucky people! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy................
Best of British to you and yours and hope it all goes marvellously! It would be brilliant to read your update when you settle including the good, the bad and the ugly!
Cheers!
Thanks Hun 🇬🇧
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope people dont mind me jumping on here. My husband and I are currently having a never ending debate around returning to the UK. We have been here 10 years and that was all good, then came the children, 3 of them under 3. I am really struggling without family in the same timezone and feeling quite unhappy with my life here, not sure how much better it would be in UK. Hubby not 100% swayed on the idea as love the lifestyle here but misses family and friends. I am keen to make a decision but dont really know where to begin. Also really worried I am taking a great opportunity away from kids. His job is not that flash at the moment lots of redundancies and I keep hoping it happens to him so we are forced into making a decision, otherwise I can see will will still be debating it when the kids are at school. How did you guys make the final decision??
Hi,
I think anybody with 3 kids under three would struggle wherever you are.
Don't beat yourself up to much trying to make a decision go with your heart. I think people make the mistake of thinking there leaving wonderful NZ with its fantastic scenery to return to awful drab Britain.
Well I didn't. After 6 years we returned to a totally new place. Not inner city but lovely North Yorkshire near Harrogate and York.
A small town with beautiful old houses, people stopping to chat an abundance of countryside.
You have to decide what you want for your family. Im afraid I wanted choice, a house, shops, Europe and the most important thing a decent education for my kids.
Personally I was sick of picking my son up from school and seeing the kids playing, (yr 6) I wanted him doing proper work. I was embarrassed looking round the oh so popular Intermediate school.
My sons confidence was going slowly down hill, the way teachers spoke to the kids was crap and I wanted out.
That's just me and it came at a huge cost. But I love it back in England.
Theres so many lovely places to live. You just need to find them.

Good Luck
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

OMG today went to Westfields in London the biggest in Europe and all I can say is WOW!

So much choice, cheap and good quality compared to NZ! We did find the crowds a bit overwhelming but the whole experience was amazing then centre itself has 60 restaurants in it and so many shops!

Tomorrow I need to sort bank account out and do some admin things x
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:21 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HP74 welcome to our group!

I will also say follow your heart. I had to tell my hubby I wasn't happy here. I felt so guilty because he loves the scenery and the outdoors. But we could never afford to buy a house here. We cant even really enjoy the lifestyle properly. The financial side is crippling us. I will always feel a sense of guilt, even for bringing him and my daughter out here in the first place. I'm not happy though and going through the sadness and feeling sick in my stomach every day made the decision for me. You probably have to have "the talk" with your hubby"!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

We have a perfectly good property in the UK, which we could never afford over here in Auckland.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 10:53 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
This is how I cheer myself up when I'm feeling really down. Not much point at present as it's not clear which county we will return to or when.

However, looking at properties within ten miles of where we used to live with my guestimation budget seems to help.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 9:26 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
This is how I cheer myself up when I'm feeling really down. Not much point at present as it's not clear which county we will return to or when.

However, looking at properties within ten miles of where we used to live with my guestimation budget seems to help.
that lifts my spirits too Hun. isn't it funny what makes you happy when you're feeling down. just the little things. Keep smiling everyone.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Please keep the updates coming - it's really helping to keep me going at the moment. Still suffering guilt on both fronts - coming here in the first place and returning. Had what can only be described as the mother of all sobbing sessions on Saturday night - under the duvet in private! Woke with swollen eyes and a giant headache and realised that I am going to make myself ill if I carry on like this. Trying to focus on the fact that it has to work when we get back and taking all the steps I can to ensure that rather than worrying that it might not work. (easier said than done for me though)

For all of you still trying to make the decision - it is a really hard one to make and I don't remember being in this kind of a state coming here. It just seems worse going back.

Anyway back to the job hunting.

Any news on goodies bought from M and S most welcome!!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:10 am
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by Choccie
Hi

Please keep the updates coming - it's really helping to keep me going at the moment. Still suffering guilt on both fronts - coming here in the first place and returning. Had what can only be described as the mother of all sobbing sessions on Saturday night - under the duvet in private! Woke with swollen eyes and a giant headache and realised that I am going to make myself ill if I carry on like this. Trying to focus on the fact that it has to work when we get back and taking all the steps I can to ensure that rather than worrying that it might not work. (easier said than done for me though)

For all of you still trying to make the decision - it is a really hard one to make and I don't remember being in this kind of a state coming here. It just seems worse going back.

Anyway back to the job hunting.

I honestly think that when you first come here you are full of hope and are excited for the future. When things don't go to plan or you find out that NZ is not for you, you do take a battering emotionally

So you are bound to be full of different emotions going home. I sometimes wonder how I will make it to April without becoming ill. But we will all get there eventually. Back in the UK will be people you know and family for support. It makes a huge difference.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Choccie
Had what can only be described as the mother of all sobbing sessions on Saturday night - under the duvet in private! Woke with swollen eyes and a giant headache and realised that I am going to make myself ill if I carry on like this. Trying to focus on the fact that it has to work when we get back and taking all the steps I can to ensure that rather than worrying that it might not work. (easier said than done for me though)

Oh! Poor you Choccie, really feel for you. Keep positive - if you want to go back you will make it work. It is easy to let the worries run away with you so good to hear you are taking positive steps towards what you can do now. I am doing the same. Currently clearing the house and garage of excess 'stuff', painting a few rooms in the house and having a garden tidy up. Definitely feels better to be doing something towards our move back.

Online M&S shopping with free delivery to NZ makes me happy! Just bought some bath goodies for a pound each and two pairs of summer shoes in their end of season sale for 15 quid the pair! One of the advantages of being in opposite seasons! No need to spend a fortune, just so nice to have a little piece of home come through the post every now and then.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

welshfarm is an unknown quantity at this point

just returned after 35 years, and joined up to see whats going on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.