British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Be nice to OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/nice-oz-414636/)

Lord Pom Percy Dec 20th 2006 12:36 pm

Be nice to OZ

Anyone want to say something nice about OZ for a change, poor OZ seems to be getting a big bashing down here in this forum. :(

Exile Dec 20th 2006 1:20 pm

Re: Be nice to OZ

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Anyone want to say something nice about OZ for a change, poor OZ seems to be getting a big bashing down here in this forum. :(

I like kangaroos. Amazingly weird creatures.

rugbymatt Dec 20th 2006 1:31 pm

You'd be lucky!

Pollyana Dec 20th 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Exile
I like kangaroos. Amazingly weird creatures.

Fairy Penguins, especially when i get the chance to see them on Tassie. In fact all of Tassie is a Good Thing - my fave restaurants, fab scenery, lovely wildlife...... :)

gruffbrown Dec 20th 2006 1:39 pm

Rolf Harris.

chippie74 Dec 20th 2006 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Rolf Harris.

home and away. p cell block H

Miss Naughty Dec 20th 2006 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by chippie74
home and away. p cell block H

Neighbours :D

Old William Dec 20th 2006 2:23 pm

Its 18000 miles away from here?

HiddenPaw Dec 20th 2006 2:27 pm

Being able to drive to the snowfields after work on a Friday. Superb!

Great coffee.

The Top End: camping, wildlife, stunning scenery.

My sister's place.

Tons more things, too many to mention.

Hayley Dec 20th 2006 7:02 pm

Because people here prefer England.
I wish this was really the moving back to the UK forum and not the moving back from Oz forum but oh well. :rolleyes:

Eric Hitchmo Dec 20th 2006 8:26 pm

http://hfboards.com/images/smilies/nopity.gif

Craftybanshee Dec 20th 2006 8:50 pm

Hmmmmmmmm, well I like Koala bear's and think they're cute 'n' cuddly. Also the late Steve Irwin was a good embassador for Australian wildlife :)

Other than that I'm afraid I don't have much of good word to say about Australia, so I will stop there.

Dreamaway 10 Dec 20th 2006 8:56 pm

Coffee,Koalas ,Kangaroos,Scenery.Beaches.Friendliness.The Sunshine.
You see there are lots of good things too.

northernbird Dec 20th 2006 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Hmmmmmmmm, well I like Koala bear's and think they're cute 'n' cuddly. Also the late Steve Irwin was a good embassador for Australian wildlife :)

Other than that I'm afraid I don't have much of good word to say about Australia, so I will stop there.

Koalas are not bears.

LouiseD Dec 20th 2006 9:03 pm

You can get a plane out of here ;)

FPM Dec 20th 2006 9:19 pm

We'll start saying nice down here when you start saying something bad up there. See my point, probably not going to happen is it :rolleyes:

Admin Sue, you were complaining about the 'them and us' situation here lately, yet you let people post this kind of stuff. We'd get bashed up in the Godzone for saying anything bad about Oz up there, yet it seems perfectly ok for them to invade our space with their 'defend Oz at all costs' crap. What's that all about then?

meljor Dec 20th 2006 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by LouiseD
You can get a plane out of here ;)

OMG nearly fell off me chair laughing v.v.v. funny :D

FPM Dec 20th 2006 9:25 pm

NB,

If your 'can't be arsed' reply was to me, i was not referring to you. In general you seem quite balanced in your approach down here.

northernbird Dec 20th 2006 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by FPM
NB,

If your 'can't be arsed' reply was to me, i was not referring to you. In general you seem quite balanced in your approach down here.

It was mate, look I think this was meant to be a light hearted thread. Yours was the first antagonistic post in it. Nobody has defended Australia in this thread and nobody has slated the anti-australia brigade in this thread either.

FPM Dec 20th 2006 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
It was mate, look I think this was meant to be a light hearted thread. Yours was the first antagonistic post in it. Nobody has defended Australia in this thread and nobody has slated the anti-australia brigade in this thread either.

I know, but this type of thread seems to be coming ever more common down here. I guess I was referring to the trend rather than this particular thread. But it always seems to be the same people (with the exception of Lane,,haha)

Craftybanshee Dec 20th 2006 9:58 pm

Koalas are not bears.

Ok no need to split hairs! :p

I had a Koala bear as a cuddly toy when I was small :rolleyes:

MrsB Dec 20th 2006 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Being able to drive to the snowfields after work on a Friday. Superb!

They're all on fire at the moment HP. There was a bit in the Age about how Mt Buller or Buffalo might get hit! :mad:

northernbird Dec 20th 2006 10:01 pm

I hope you didn't call them Koala Bears when you were in Australia, my friends well take the mick when we call them Bears.

FPM Dec 20th 2006 10:10 pm

I hope you didn't call them Koala Bears when you were in Australia, my friends well take the mick when we call them Bears.

Pandas aren't bears either (not that they are Australian), and all Polar bears are left handed ;) There used to be bears in the UK, according to my 'A Natural History of the British Isles' dvds.

also Sth America has the most marsupials of any continent.

rugbymatt Dec 20th 2006 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by FPM
also Sth America has the most marsupials of any continent.

EH?

If you are referring to the Monito del Monte it is the only marsupial mammal in South America, there are however thousands of types of Gastrotheca in South America but since those are frogs they cant really be included in the whole marsupial mammal thing.
Australasia has far more marsupials than anywhere on earth.

FPM Dec 20th 2006 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
EH?

If you are referring to the Monito del Monte it is the only marsupial mammal in South America, there are however thousands of types of Gastrotheca in South America but since those are frogs they cant really be included in the whole marsupial mammal thing.
Australasia has far more marsupials than anywhere on earth.

Not according to 'Wild Sth America' I'm sure it said there are over 40 types of marsupial there. I'll check the dvds again tonight, been a while since I watched them.

I lived in Colombia for a while and can't say i saw any there. Did eat a guinea pig though! :beer:

rugbymatt Dec 20th 2006 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by FPM
Not according to 'Wild Sth America' I'm sure it said there are over 40 types of marsupial there. I'll check the dvds again tonight, been a while since I watched them.

I lived in Colombia for a while and can't say i saw any there. Did eat a guinea pig though! :beer:

There are loads of marsupial frogs but as far as i know there are over 200 species of marsupials in Australasia of the 334 species world wide. Think there are a few in central America and some in the US

Rascal Dec 20th 2006 10:39 pm

OZ is Utopia!! :D :D
But then again, I can be forgiven, I have spent 4.5 years existing in NZ. :o
Anyone coming from here to OZ would think its Utopia! :D

FPM Dec 20th 2006 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There are loads of marsupial frogs but as far as i know there are over 200 species of marsupials in Australasia of the 334 species world wide. Think there are a few in central America and some in the US

Perhaps they were lobbing the frogs in then as well then? I'll check out the dvds.

But polar bears are left handed, check one out next time you see them write something :D

rugbymatt Dec 20th 2006 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by FPM
Perhaps they were lobbing the frogs in then as well then? I'll check out the dvds.

But polar bears are left handed, check one out next time you see them write something :D

Yeah, never heard that one. How strange though!

sassenach Dec 20th 2006 11:06 pm

The airports . :)

northernbird Dec 20th 2006 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by sassenach
The airports . :)

shame you haven't used the Perth one yet :rolleyes:

Rascal Dec 20th 2006 11:13 pm

Well I should sit on the fence on this one.
Cannot slate anything about OZ as I have never lived there yet. Been on holiday and loved it, felt FAR more at ease with the Ozzies than I do with any kiwi.
Hubby's relatives have lived happily in OZ for last 50 years or so.
Uncle in Melbourne and Mums cousin in Adelaide.
Both love OZ and would never live anywhere else.
Me? I have yet to try it. But I liked what I saw on my visit to Brisbane/Gold Coast very much, but am not blinkered, holidays and living are two very different experiences. :) :) as I know so well. :o

kiwi_child Dec 21st 2006 1:39 am

So did me and my sister. We called them koala bears because that's how they were marketed to the public. So NB should perhaps go blame the makers of them for being the cause of this situation :)

northernbird Dec 21st 2006 1:40 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
So did me and my sister. We called them koala bears because that's how they were marketed to the public. So NB should perhaps go blame the makers of them for being the cause of this situation :)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

kiwi_child Dec 21st 2006 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Rascal
OZ is Utopia!! :D :D
But then again, I can be forgiven, I have spent 4.5 years existing in NZ. :o
Anyone coming from here to OZ would think its Utopia! :D

You're suffering from a delusional episode ! Take a few deep breaths, have a lie down. Give it a couple of years and you'll be running back to NZ or UK :D

kiwi_child Dec 21st 2006 1:46 am

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Confused? Your post pointed out that koalas are not a species of bears. My point was that the soft toy koalas were (and still are) marketed as bears. This is where the issue came from...marketing. Parents/Kids were familar with teddy bears, panda bears etc, hence the creation of the koala bear.

arkon Dec 21st 2006 1:55 am

Err, No. When I have something good to say about it you'll be the first to hear it, untill then I'm back outside finding ways to kill the local pests.

northernbird Dec 21st 2006 1:56 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Confused? Your post pointed out that koalas are not a species of bears. My point was that the soft toy koalas were (and still are) marketed as bears. This is where the issue came from...marketing. Parents/Kids were familar with teddy bears, panda bears etc, hence the creation of the koala bear.

It was your use of the word blame that was confusing, who was I blaming for what. Anyway call them what you like, I don't give a chuff.

arkon Dec 21st 2006 2:04 am

It was your use of the word blame that was confusing, who was I blaming for what. Anyway call them what you like, I don't give a chuff.

Now I know you are all bored witless here but the idea of an argument over whether or not a koala bear is a bear or not just shows how people can argue over the most trivial of things just for the sake of it.

I think if we have always called them koala bears then that is what they are, it's thier name, just like a teddy bear, afterall are all bears called 'teddy'? So a koala bear is exacty that just like you're called northernbird when in fact you don't have any feathers nor a beak, at the last inspection I don't think you laid eggs either. Geez looks like I got too much sun today too.