Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS eligibility after very long absence

NHS eligibility after very long absence

Old Jul 12th 2015, 12:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS eligibility after very long absence

Originally Posted by themajor
O.K> Thanks for clarification. I googled to get my info and some of it was as clear as mud.

Not2old was spot on.
Well, the Google search engine is one of the best ways to search the open Web. It's certainly what I use on a regular basis.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
O.K> Thanks for clarification. I googled to get my info and some of it was as clear as mud.

Not2old was spot on.
There is is much stuff on the www that often it is difficult to find the correct information.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks kindly to all for the time spent and detailed responses to assist and research this. I now see that the rules can be quite confusing based on various immigration scenarios and circumstances.

But as per robin, it looks like in my situation it's fairly straightforward and affirmative in eligibility. I hope the new government doesn't implement in the future what had been previously considered. In the meantime, I'm glad I asked! Thanks very much.

Last edited by Richard8655; Jul 12th 2015 at 1:32 pm. Reason: Edit my thoughts
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
the form
"You are entitled to receive free NHS care if you:
*get a UK state retirement pension or another state benefit and normally live in a non-EEA country. You must have lived lawfully in the UK for at least ten years continuously in the past, or worked for the UK government for at least ten years continuously. Your spouse, civil partner and dependent children are also entitled to free NHS hospital treatment if they fall ill. They must be living with you throughout your stay in the UK
That particular rule was withdrawn earlier this year, though, like anybody, you can still get free emergency treatment in the NHS.

An expat from outside the EU visiting the UK is now liable for 150% of the actual cost of treatments, even if they've made NI Contributions for 40 years and remain a UK Taxpayer.

If you return to the UK to settle, you are then covered.

Originally Posted by You Gov
Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately
This is the response I received from the DoH on the subject.

Dear theoldgit

Re: Youre recent email (yes that how it was spelt)

Thank you for your correspondence of 31 March to David Cameron about access to healthcare. As your email relates to healthcare, it has been passed to the Department of Health and I have been asked to reply.

I note your concerns about access to NHS treatment for ex-patriates. However, now that Parliament has been dissolved before the general election, the Department cannot comment further on this matter. Any decisions on British pensioners living overseas will be a matter for the incoming Government.

For further information on plans for British pensioners living overseas, you may wish to contact the relevant political parties.

The contact details can be found at www.parliament.uk Home page - UK Parliament at the following link:

http://www.parliamen...of-the-parties/

More generally, anyone who lives outside this country for more than six months is no longer automatically entitled to free NHS hospital treatment. If the person is away on, for example, a one-off extended holiday, then they will continue to be fully entitled to free hospital treatment as soon as they return to live permanently in the UK. They will then be ordinarily resident again.

Whilst the Department is aware that many UK nationals living overseas still consider themselves to be UK residents, sometimes even maintaining accommodation here, someone who regularly and routinely spends the majority of each year settled in a residence outside the UK cannot legitimately be considered as being ordinarily resident here.

I am sorry I cannot be more directly helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Caroline Soury
Ministerial Correspondence and Public Enquiries
Department of Health
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theoldgit
That particular rule was withdrawn earlier this year, though, like anybody, you can still get free emergency treatment in the NHS.

An expat from outside the EU visiting the UK is now liable for 150% of the actual cost of treatments, even if they've made NI Contributions for 40 years and remain a UK Taxpayer.

If you return to the UK to settle, you are then covered.

This is the response I received from the DoH on the subject.
I dug and dug for clarification on the closure of access to NHS hospital treatment for UK State Pensioners from outside of the EEA on an arising basis after it was mentioned by formula around April 6th - the effective date of its closure, but was unable to find anything outside of the Daily Telegraph.

As late as two or three weeks ago the NHS Visitors website still had UK State Pensioners as an exception for hospital treatment but this now appears to have been 'pulled' or confined to the National Archives, leaving only the Citizens Advice Bureau with it still in there - incorrectly so it now seems.

Sorry about that!

Here is the BMA directive and underlying charge rules:

BMA - Overseas Visitors and Primary Care | British Medical Association

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tions_2015.pdf

page 23 refers, but only in the Exemption as of 6th April 2015 column
Old Jul 14th 2015, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

As late as two or three weeks ago the NHS Visitors website still had UK State Pensioners as an exception for hospital treatment but this now appears to have been 'pulled' or confined to the National Archives, leaving only the Citizens Advice Bureau with it still in there - incorrectly so it now seems.
They also ended those Brits who are retired to another EEA country from getting healthcare paid for by the UK in that country, and they now have to be in receipt of a UK state pension to get that. Although Spain had already put a block on EEAs retiring there if they didn't have savings. Many who were getting their healthcare in the EEA country paid for by the UK, now have to buy private health insurance. Of course from next April UK state pensions change and only those who have contributed to the UK themselves and for at least 10 tax years gets a UK state pension.

Most of the sites seem to be late giving information or are giving incorrect information and not just on the NHS. Even the calculators that spring up on various sites for the recent budget don't seem to be giving the correct information when you look at the changes and then work it out for yourself.

The problem seems to be that there isn't set times that all these changes happen now. It feels like every day is bringing something new i.e. this last week has seen some big changes to the Tier 4 student visas, yet he wasn't going to announce more immigration changes until the autumn.

Last edited by formula; Jul 14th 2015 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Hello all,

Am I correct that a returning UK citizen who establishes residence is automatically (and from the first day) eligible for NHS coverage? In my case, I left UK at age 4 (yes, a toddler), and now many decades later would like to return and retire there.
Maybe for clarification without rehashing or what has already been posted or discussed on the many threads before this one as well as without any long winded response or links to something - for the OP question above, on the basis they are 'ordinarily resident in the UK', is the simple answer a yes or a no?

And does it matter if they are state pension age or not?
Old Jul 14th 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Maybe for clarification without rehashing or what has already been posted or discussed on the many threads before this one as well as without any long winded response or links to something - for the OP question above, on the basis they are 'ordinarily resident in the UK', is the simple answer a yes or a no?

And does it matter if they are state pension age or not?
I think the consensus here was yes, regardless of state pension. Thanks for restating for clarity. As an aside, your Canadian state health system seems similar to the NHS. Very nice to have, especially from the perspective south of the border.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

I just returned to UK and registered with the local doctor, this is what they ask for

You will also need to provide proof of your address (e.g. a recent utility bill, bank statement or driving licence) and proof of identity (e.g. Passport, Driving Licence, National Identity Card)
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john5655
I just returned to UK and registered with the local doctor, this is what they ask for
Looks like there might be a slight lag to coverage until one gets established (bank statement, utility bill, etc.). So just stay healthy until then!
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the GP. My own did not require any proof of residence whatsoever.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Neither did mine. We just had to fill forms for the two of us. I was actually in the GP's surgery yesterday and a man came in to register and he was told to fill the form and that he would have to wait for three days (for it to be processed I guess).
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

I have lived outside the U.K. for a number of years. During that time I paid into and kept up to date my national pension payments. I now receive a British pension overseas. If I return to the U.K. I assume I will automatically be able to receive NHS medical care.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barrybriggs
I have lived outside the U.K. for a number of years. During that time I paid into and kept up to date my national pension payments. I now receive a British pension overseas. If I return to the U.K. I assume I will automatically be able to receive NHS medical care.
If you now live in the EU or are returning to the UK full time, then yes will be entitled to full NHS medical care.

If you live outside the UK or are just visiting and require emergency treatment for a new condition, then that will be covered, but not any ongoing care.

I chap I know here in Thailand was visiting the UK recently, he's a UK National who is retired here, he pays tax on his pension and "paid his stamp" for over 40 years. During his trip he received emergency treatment for a bleeding gastric ulcer, whilst the initial treatment wasn't charged for, he was hospitalised and when he was discharged he was presented with a bill for a tad over £4,000.

The fact that he is a UK taxpayer and therefore already paying for the NHS is apparently regarded as "irrelevant" by the government, who claim that this measure will greatly improve NHS finances.

The Government recommend that Expats take out travel insurance to cover them for medical emergencies that they would be covered for at no cost if they were still resident in the UK.

Following a heart attack in Singapore last year I'm finding it very difficult to obtain cover, and would have a problem if I had another heart attack when visiting the UK, which I'm doing next week, I pay UK tax at up to 40% on my pensions.

I've written to Cameron and the Health Secretary calling foul, I've pointed out that I wouldn't be liable for NI contributions if I lived in the UK and already pay a fair amount in income tax. I added that this unfairness could be the tipping point to return "home" where I would receive my full state pension, it's currently frozen, full NHS cover and they would even throw in a bus pass, so it's not really economic sense. I'm not really expecting a meaningful reply from the appropriate Correspondence Unit.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:48 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theoldgit
If you now live in the EU or are returning to the UK full time, then yes will be entitled to full NHS medical care.

If you live outside the UK or are just visiting and require emergency treatment for a new condition, then that will be covered, but not any ongoing care.

I chap I know here in Thailand was visiting the UK recently, he's a UK National who is retired here, he pays tax on his pension and "paid his stamp" for over 40 years. During his trip he received emergency treatment for a bleeding gastric ulcer, whilst the initial treatment wasn't charged for, he was hospitalised and when he was discharged he was presented with a bill for a tad over £4,000.

The fact that he is a UK taxpayer and therefore already paying for the NHS is apparently regarded as "irrelevant" by the government, who claim that this measure will greatly improve NHS finances.

The Government recommend that Expats take out travel insurance to cover them for medical emergencies that they would be covered for at no cost if they were still resident in the UK.

Following a heart attack in Singapore last year I'm finding it very difficult to obtain cover, and would have a problem if I had another heart attack when visiting the UK, which I'm doing next week, I pay UK tax at up to 40% on my pensions.

I've written to Cameron and the Health Secretary calling foul, I've pointed out that I wouldn't be liable for NI contributions if I lived in the UK and already pay a fair amount in income tax. I added that this unfairness could be the tipping point to return "home" where I would receive my full state pension, it's currently frozen, full NHS cover and they would even throw in a bus pass, so it's not really economic sense. I'm not really expecting a meaningful reply from the appropriate Correspondence Unit.
Why do you, and the other resident of Thailand that you mention in your post, pay taxes in the UK? That's the bit I don't get. Surely if you live in Thailand you pay tax there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.