Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS eligibility after very long absence

NHS eligibility after very long absence

Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS eligibility after very long absence

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why do you, and the other resident of Thailand that you mention in your post, pay taxes in the UK? That's the bit I don't get. Surely if you live in Thailand you pay tax there?
Because my incomes are from pensions which a paid from the UK, State Pension and my Civil Service Pension from my employment with the Home Office, and as such fall outside the double taxation agreement and are taxed at source.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:03 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why do you, and the other resident of Thailand that you mention in your post, pay taxes in the UK? That's the bit I don't get. Surely if you live in Thailand you pay tax there?
+1
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
+1
I've already answered that.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:19 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thanks. I didn't know that because the Canada/UK tax agreement is different.

I agree that it seems very unfair that if you still pay UK tax, you should be denied NHS care.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the GP. My own did not require any proof of residence whatsoever.
Nor mine. I entered the UK on Sat. July 4th, registered with a random GP on Mon. 6th (without an NHS number or proof of address) and had my first consultation on Thursday 9th.

Simples.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theoldgit

I've written to Cameron and the Health Secretary calling foul, I've pointed out that I wouldn't be liable for NI contributions if I lived in the UK and already pay a fair amount in income tax. I added that this unfairness could be the tipping point to return "home" where I would receive my full state pension, it's currently frozen, full NHS cover and they would even throw in a bus pass, so it's not really economic sense. I'm not really expecting a meaningful reply from the appropriate Correspondence Unit.
The Conservatives tried to get that passed as it was in their consultation in 2012(?) for the then Immigration Bill. It just didn't make it into the law in 2014 on the way though Parliament and the Lords, and with a coalition government.

Back with a majority this year and Cameron's repeated statement of stopping the something-for-nothing people and now making it something-for-something, I could see that 'free NHS for Brits residing outside the EEA and with x years of paying into the UK' being back on the table. He has already made a lot of changes with this government that got blocked before by the LibDems.

Last edited by formula; Jul 15th 2015 at 12:52 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by formula
The Conservatives tried to get that passed as it was in their consultation in 2012(?) for the then Immigration Bill. It just didn't make it into the law in 2014 on the way though Parliament and the Lords, and with a coalition government.

Back with a majority this year and Cameron's repeated statement of stopping the something-for-nothing people and now making it something-for-something, I could see that 'free NHS for Brits residing outside the EEA and with x years of paying into the UK' being back on the table. He has already made a lot of changes with this government that got blocked before by the LibDems.
Do you have any evidence at all that this was blocked by the Lib-Dems? I doubt whether it would have been.

But you may be right about change. My understanding is that Osborne is keen on giving the vote to ex-pats who have been outside the UK for more than 15 years. I don't see him doing that without simultaneously righting at least some of the grievances of ex-pats, including this one.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thanks. I didn't know that because the Canada/UK tax agreement is different.

I agree that it seems very unfair that if you still pay UK tax, you should be denied NHS care.
Tons of people pay at least some UK income tax, reside abroad and aren't eligible for NHS coverage. For example, anyone with income taxed at source by the UK, rental properties etc. If the rule were that any payment of UK income tax conferred free NHS use, you'd be opening free access broader than I think would be good public policy. And sometimes leaving eligibility to the whims, as in this case, of what a tax treaty says is taxable by the UK.

What seems odd to me is that the Thai/British tax treaty doesn't cover pensions in the way that many other treaties do. I wonder what the Thai treatment of such income is?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 16th 2015 at 1:19 am.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:10 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Tons of people pay at least some UK income tax, reside abroad and aren't eligible for NHS coverage. For example, anyone with income taxed at source by the UK, rental properties etc. If the rule were that any payment of UK income tax conferred free NHS use, you'd be opening free access broader than I think would be good public policy. And sometimes leaving eligibility to the whims, as in this case, of what a tax treaty says is taxable by the UK.

What seems odd to me is that the Thai/British tax treaty doesn't cover pensions in the way that many other treaties do. I wonder what the Thai treatment of such income is?
Maybe Thailand doesn't have much in the way of public services, and so the government judges that comparatively wealthy foreign residents more than pay their way with purchase taxes, property taxes etc?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

mandevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all this good information not2old ... I'm planning to move back to UK from USA.