British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Newbie Intro: Planning to move back - Brexit impact? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/newbie-intro-planning-move-back-brexit-impact-884212/)

Giantaxe Oct 8th 2016 2:46 am

Re: Newbie Intro: Planning to move back - Brexit impact?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12071176)
The FTSE isn't in dollars so that is also moot. Obviously it will have dropped if you want to make an arbitrary conversion into dollars.

The fall in the pound may have made shares cheaper for overseas investors, but the main investors in UK listed companies will be UK entities and shares did not become cheaper for them on June 24th.

No, the majority of investors are overseas. The fall in the pound is therefore anything but moot:

ONS statistics on UK share ownership - Business Insider

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12071176)
For the overseas investors, well the shares they have bought since June are worth less to them every day at the moment because they will ultimately have to cash them in in pounds and then use pounds to buy back their own currency. So if overseas investors are buying UK stock in droves then the overseas investors must also expect sterling to recover. (As do I).

As do I - eventually. Essentially buying UK shares at this point is a punt on sterling.

Bermudashorts Oct 8th 2016 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12071179)
No, the majority of investors are overseas. The fall in the pound is therefore anything but moot:

ONS statistics on UK share ownership - Business Insider

As do I - eventually. Essentially buying UK shares at this point is a punt on sterling.

I didn't say the fall in the pound was moot. I said converting the FTSE index into dollars was moot as UK shares are in £ not $.

So FTSE up, sterling expected to recover. All looking good for OP

Giantaxe Oct 8th 2016 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12071197)
I didn't say the fall in the pound was moot. I said converting the FTSE index into dollars was moot as UK shares are in £ not $.

No. If one is thinking of converting dollar assets into Uk shares, converting the FTSE index into dollars most certainly isn't moot; it's what you're making your judgement call on as to the value of those shares versus other assets. A major reason FTSE shares look attractively priced to such buyers right now is that the index is lower in dollar terms than it was at the beginning of the year.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12071197)
So FTSE up, sterling expected to recover. All looking good for OP

Which assumes that the FTSE will remain "up" if and when the pound recovers.

Bermudashorts Oct 8th 2016 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12071213)
No. If one is thinking of converting dollar assets into Uk shares, converting the FTSE index into dollars most certainly isn't moot; it's what you're making your judgement call on as to the value of those shares versus other assets. A major reason FTSE shares look attractively priced to such buyers right now is that the index is lower in dollar terms than it was at the beginning of the year.

Which assumes that the FTSE will remain "up" if and when the pound recovers.

The exchange rate alone would be sufficient to indicate to an overseas investor that they might be able to buy UK stocks on the cheap.

Looking at an arbitrary conversion of the FTSE index into $ at two different points of time is clouding two distinct features of underlying business performance and exchange rates which would be better considered separately.

Giantaxe Oct 8th 2016 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12071218)
The exchange rate alone would be sufficient to indicate to an overseas investor that they might be able to buy UK stocks on the cheap.

What? No, that's only half the equation. If the FTSE index had climbed more than the pound has declined, then Uk shares would look nowhere near as cheap to dollar investors.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 12071218)
Looking at an arbitrary conversion of the FTSE index into $ at two different points of time is clouding two distinct features of underlying business performance and exchange rates which would be better considered separately.

If you are a dollar investor who expects eventually to sell back into dollars, it's exactly what you need to consider.

durham_lad Oct 8th 2016 10:58 am

:popcorn:

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12071338)
:popcorn:

Quite. Can we just accept that the whole thing is an almighty f*** up?

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2016 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 12070781)
HMG said that a few weeks ago, but speeches at the Conservative conference from hard Brexit fans like Liam Fox have put those rights back on the table as a bargaining chip. This is probably why Hollander was so tough in his speech yesterday

Hollande. He's French you know.

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12071016)
Only because the EU wants to show it's willing to play hardball to stop others from considering jumping ship. It's just both sides wanting to be billy big bollocks. Transitional arrangements for existing residents will be the first thing to be agreed come April.

Perhaps, but only one side really is.

I'm glad that "transitional arrangements" will be made in April, but it's quite unlikely given that the "transition" will have no chance of being defined by then.

"Oh duckies, whatever we do to destroy each others position won't have any affect on bits of the status quo?"

Riight.

durham_lad Oct 9th 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12072272)
Quite. Can we just accept that the whole thing is an almighty f*** up?

Absolutely we can, I'm just amused listening to the continued to and fro on the subject on this thread. I learned long ago to worry only about the things within my sphere of influence. In my career I had to put up with a couple of big projects that I argued strongly against, but once the decision had been made to proceed then I did my utmost to ensure they were implemented as well as possible.

nun Oct 9th 2016 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12072276)
Hollande. He's French you know.

Il est Francais?..........mis-type........

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2016 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12072277)
Absolutely we can, I'm just amused listening to the continued to and fro on the subject on this thread. I learned long ago to worry only about the things within my sphere of influence. In my career I had to put up with a couple of big projects that I argued strongly against, but once the decision had been made to proceed then I did my utmost to ensure they were implemented as well as possible.

Fair enough, but have you ever dealt with a decision to go ahead with a "project" which at the time of the decision was utterly undefined in terms of goals or outcomes?

BritInParis Oct 9th 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12072276)
Perhaps, but only one side really is.

I'm glad that "transitional arrangements" will be made in April, but it's quite unlikely given that the "transition" will have no chance of being defined by then.

"Oh duckies, whatever we do to destroy each others position won't have any affect on bits of the status quo?"

Riight.

Care to offer a prediction of your own then?

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2016 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12072286)
Care to offer a prediction of your own then?

No. It would be stupid to do so. But after that Tory rush to hard Brexit, it's hard to be optimistic.

durham_lad Oct 9th 2016 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12072285)
Fair enough, but have you ever dealt with a decision to go ahead with a "project" which at the time of the decision was utterly undefined in terms of goals or outcomes?

Oh most certainly.

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2016 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12072292)
Oh most certainly.

Oh good. How did that work out?

Did the enterprise survive?