Wikiposts

New to Web Site

Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Web Site

Welcome to BE
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cindyabs

I have been in California for nearly 5 years.. hauled my wife and kids with me... the kids love it and don't want to go home, but my wife still has bouts of homesickness. She misses her sisters and mum - I could care less myself. She also misses the socializing.. you know the way only Brits do it... eating good old British food, getting drunk, making fools of ourselves, and finally falling down. But what we both recognize is that we do have a better life here, more cash, bigger house, more free time, better weather. If we just had a few more Brits around us I think my wife would be so much happier.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:10 am
Banned

Yassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
Ha! Thanks for the reply to my posting, which, in my paranoia (another symptom of my isolated condition) I deleted. As for British grocery stores - there is an international section at our local HEB. It's full of stuff well past the 'sell by' date and also home to dubious look alike items which claim to be be British but which aren't; it's crap which has been created by ruthless gits for ex-pats living abroad who get homesick. Honestly - you should try the Liquorice Allsorts, the ones with the Union Jack on the box. They're not Bassett's, I can tell you.

I go home once or twice a year, and I definitely haven't morphed into one of those awful Brits. I do talk to myself a lot, though, especially when I'm walking down the street. Actually, I'd say I'm caught between two cultures. Whereas I used to wear Doc Marten's all the time, I now wear Frye boots (as worn by soldiers during the American Civil War), and I wear them proudly. I've also applied for citizenship, but my married surname is Hispanic, so it'll probably never happen....
Its improved here though hasn't it? When I first came here the only beer you could get was Bass in a bottle. Bleurgh! I used to nuke it
"Caught between two cultures" is about the size of it. But - look at it this way: you pick and choose the best from each and you really can understand both. Its all a bit karmic, really.

Funny last name "Hispanic" - don't you think they might suspect??
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:11 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

hello and welcome to BE...

you'll fit in nicely...as there's nowt wrong with a Lancashire Lass....
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:20 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

I do talk to myself a lot, though, especially when I'm walking down the street. Actually, I'd say I'm caught between two cultures.
Welcome, and worry not... Talking to oneself is, seemingly. the reality of the modern world, even here in the UK! Here, too, we're caught between two cultures - religion and politics! So what's so different over there??? ...
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much to everyone for a really lovely welcome. Yassir, I just got it, about Hispanic being my surname, guffaw! It took me a minute... It is indeed a good life in the States in many ways and I don't see us leaving forever. We live pretty simply, being the tight wads we are, and should be able to afford a little place over here too, eventually. Husband will get a decent pension, (which at the present exchange rate is equivalent to about 34 pence a week). I do contract work - I'm an occupational therapist - so I have it in mind to come over once a year for the first four or five years and do a three month stint, just to help pay the bills. I couldn't bear to work in the NHS again. Dunno how that will work out. The hubby's had to work away from home, so why not me too?
It's all about sex, really, isn't it Ray? Talking about sex, we have three cats and I'm wondering whether to pay out thousands of dollars to take them to England with us, or to have them put down. Any thoughts? We are quite fond of them, though in a non-sexual way, and have even given them names.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lisag8070
hello and welcome to BE...

you'll fit in nicely...as there's nowt wrong with a Lancashire Lass....
Thanks
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jenniferpa

I have wondered whether my views on living here have been coloured by the fact that unlike most people I see posting I didn't want to live here in the first place - I only came because I happened to fall in love with an American.

Jennifer
Hello Jennifer - possibly - I only intended to stay for a year and never expected that here i would be, over 12 years later. It has been a mixed blessing, I can't imagine leaving the States and never coming back, but I always feel most at home in England. I even miss the weather. Do you work outside the home? I stayed at home for 7 years after my daughter was born and it wasn't good for me personally. I work 20 hrs a week now, and it's helped me feel better about being here.

Elaine
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Hello Jennifer - possibly - I only intended to stay for a year and never expected that here i would be, over 12 years later. It has been a mixed blessing, I can't imagine leaving the States and never coming back, but I always feel most at home in England. I even miss the weather. Do you work outside the home? I stayed at home for 7 years after my daughter was born and it wasn't good for me personally. I work 20 hrs a week now, and it's helped me feel better about being here.

Elaine
I work, but inside the home (we have a software company). I think you're right though - working outside the home would probably make it easier to fit in. Don't get me wrong, I have some great friends here, and in many ways I suppose I feel more at home here than I do when I go back to the UK. It's just...

I know what you mean about the weather - I live in PA and it's either too damn hot or too damn cold

Jennifer
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........we have three cats and I'm wondering whether to pay out thousands of dollars to take them to England with us, or to have them put down. Any thoughts? We are quite fond of them, though in a non-sexual way, and have even given them names.

Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Double and a
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:54 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

or to have them put down. Any thoughts?
Yeah. WTF?!?!?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about sex, we have three cats and I'm wondering whether to pay out thousands of dollars to take them to England with us, or to have them put down. Any thoughts? We are quite fond of them, though in a non-sexual way, and have even given them names.
I can send you the three bullets ....
I'm not a great animal lover..
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:42 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
I can send you the three bullets ....
I'm not a great animal lover..
Ship them to Ray. He loves pussies.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:59 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...Talking about sex, we have three cats and I'm wondering whether to pay out thousands of dollars to take them to England with us, or to have them put down. Any thoughts? We are quite fond of them, though in a non-sexual way, and have even given them names.
In case you're not sure:

WTF = What The Fuck

...and I'll second everyone else's comments regarding your cats.

WTF?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.