British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   New DEFRA Regs from January 2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/new-defra-regs-january-2012-a-723046/)

Celticspirit Mar 30th 2013 1:55 am

Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10630586)
I think it might break MY brain ;) Can you imagine me trying to get on a train with four pet carriers and luggage? I would have to use my teeth to carry some of them ;) Of course, perhaps I could dump two carriers in Paris and have the dogs on leashes but, even then, with their wanting everyone's attention, it could be a logistical nightmare.

It's definitely worth consideration to save this much money with four pets but when the time comes, I think I might have to take two over (this way, avoiding airport taxes) and then come back for the other two and do it the same way. I have a feeling I will be demented taking four animals and a suitcase by myself. I could take two over, wait 24 hours for a break, and then fly back to the US to get the other two. I will be exhausted but it's a bit more manageable, I think, and I would still save money, even with the additional flight.

Windsong.....I know for sure people have taken two or more dogs in one cabin bag.... Chihuahuas.....larger.....not so sure. The other practical aspect is going through security. I travel with one or two frequently. Of course one has to take them out of the bag to carry them on one's persons through security. Mine are tinies.....but still a stressful moment until they are safely secured back in their spot. Dogs generally sleep on board without any issue. I think it is the droning noise of the engines that helps.

Celticspirit Mar 30th 2013 2:11 am

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10631464)
Thank you!!!! It will be you one day :fingerscrossed:

Currently cleaning up my apartment (sniff, will miss it), chucking out crap and packing the things I didn't ship into HUGE suitcase and backpack. Here's where I wish my dog was a husky, and I had a sled....

(Every time I pack something, pooch looks concerned, then very carefully unpacks it for me)

My dogs are so used to travelling....when I open a suitcase they jump in!!

happyglow Mar 30th 2013 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10631670)
My dogs are so used to travelling....when I open a suitcase they jump in!!

:rofl: cute!

:fingerscrossed: that mine enjoys this trip so much he'll do the same from now on. Maybe that's why he's unpacking - to make room in the suitcase for himself?

windsong Mar 30th 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10631660)
Windsong.....I know for sure people have taken two or more dogs in one cabin bag.... Chihuahuas.....larger.....not so sure. The other practical aspect is going through security. I travel with one or two frequently. Of course one has to take them out of the bag to carry them on one's persons through security. Mine are tinies.....but still a stressful moment until they are safely secured back in their spot. Dogs generally sleep on board without any issue. I think it is the droning noise of the engines that helps.

If I had to take the cats out of their carriers at security, one would run away - no doubt about it. She is very shy and timid. So long as she is with my other cat whom she loves, she is fine - but in an airport setting and terrified out of her life, she would jump out of my arms. The other cat and the two dogs (17 lb, 15 lb and 8 lb respectively) would be okay.

This has got me a bit concerned now. Even if I send all the animals with me on the plane directly to my destination in the UK (shipped in the hold of the plane), do they have to be taken out of their carriers at any time?

I could take the little dog on the plane with me, I think. He would be fine. It is the timid cat I am concerned about. There's no way I could get her through security with all her wriggling and trying to escape. She'd be terrified. She would be better in the hold of the plane but I am now concerned the carrier has to be opened by some official and she would escape. Although, when I take her to the vet, once in the carrier, she is so scared she won't come out even when she's back home. I have to put the carrier on the floor and let her come out in her own time. She comes out within minutes and then runs to hide for about an hour.

happyglow Mar 30th 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10632066)
If I had to take the cats out of their carriers at security, one would run away - no doubt about it. She is very shy and timid. So long as she is with my other cat whom she loves, she is fine - but in an airport setting and terrified out of her life, she would jump out of my arms. The other cat and the two dogs (17 lb, 15 lb and 8 lb respectively) would be okay.

This has got me a bit concerned now. Even if I send all the animals with me on the plane directly to my destination in the UK (shipped in the hold of the plane), do they have to be taken out of their carriers at any time?

I could take the little dog on the plane with me, I think. He would be fine. It is the timid cat I am concerned about. There's no way I could get her through security with all her wriggling and trying to escape. She'd be terrified. She would be better in the hold of the plane but I am now concerned the carrier has to be opened by some official and she would escape. Although, when I take her to the vet, once in the carrier, she is so scared she won't come out even when she's back home. I have to put the carrier on the floor and let her come out in her own time. She comes out within minutes and then runs to hide for about an hour.

In that environment most cats would run - my pooch would too.

If they have to open the door of the crate they do it in a closed room. I suspect they're quite used to dealing with animals who are a little bit freaked, and humans too :o:zzz:

gailc Mar 30th 2013 3:47 pm

:amen:

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10631464)
Thank you!!!! It will be you one day :fingerscrossed:

Currently cleaning up my apartment (sniff, will miss it), chucking out crap and packing the things I didn't ship into HUGE suitcase and backpack. Here's where I wish my dog was a husky, and I had a sled....

(Every time I pack something, pooch looks concerned, then very carefully unpacks it for me)

:thumbsup:

gailc Mar 30th 2013 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10632066)

That would be one of my concerns with the cats - one of which is an ex-feral - as well.
Maybe you could ask to take them to a separate room while where carriers are being checked - you would think they would understand with cats - anything can happen, even with the most stable of them - too easy for them to jump out of your arms.
I really don't know about what they do if they are travelling in the hold - one time when we were leaving, someone has a large dog in a carrier and it went through with the rest of the luggage, but whether they turned off the x-ray machine I have no idea. That is the reason you have to take them out at security, so they don't go through the x-ray machine.
Hope you can find out from the airports in question.

gailc Mar 30th 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10632285)

If they have to open the door of the crate they do it in a closed room. I suspect they're quite used to dealing with animals who are a little bit freaked, and humans too :o:zzz:

Should have read previous post from happyglow - that is good to know :)

gailc Mar 30th 2013 3:58 pm

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10631673)
:rofl: cute!

:fingerscrossed: that mine enjoys this trip so much he'll do the same from now on. Maybe that's why he's unpacking - to make room in the suitcase for himself?

windsong Mar 30th 2013 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by gailc (Post 10632305)
Should have read previous post from happyglow - that is good to know :)

Yes, it is good to know. This particular cat doesn't liked being handled by strangers so I hope they wear gloves - just in case. She freaked out at the vets once and he had to wear gloves to get her out of the carrier. Actually, the noise was the worst because she was too scared to do anything else - poor thing. When he got her out, she stayed completely still because she was scared.

windsong Mar 30th 2013 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10632285)

So it seems they don't always open the crate. I wonder what would make them have to open it.

happyglow Mar 30th 2013 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10632416)
So it seems they don't always open the crate. I wonder what would make them have to open it.

I popped by the airport info desk the other day and asked about the procedure - apparently at check-in you have to take your pet out and hold it while the crate goes through the scanner.

gailc Mar 30th 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10632517)
I popped by the airport info desk the other day and asked about the procedure - apparently at check-in you have to take your pet out and hold it while the crate goes through the scanner.

I think that is pretty much standard procedure.

windsong Mar 31st 2013 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10632517)

Okay, then kitties have to go in the hold of the plane. I think that means they then open the crate in a closed room. But even that's not a good situation, though.

windsong Mar 31st 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10630884)
Four at once sounds like too much for sure, especially since carriers have to follow IATA rules so are way bigger than the actual pet.

Do you know anyone who might welcome a free return flight in exchange for help with the pets on the first half? They wouldn't have to come back straight away. Perhaps a local pet sitter or other reputable animal person might be interested?

That's a good idea. My business partner flies to the USA 2-3 times a year from his own country on the Mediterranean, so I don't think it would be too difficult to persuade him to do this with me. Besides, he would be thrilled to see me settled in the UK :) He knows how very much I want to go home. He's also a huge animal lover so he would treat my pets like gold :D