British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   New DEFRA Regs from January 2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/new-defra-regs-january-2012-a-723046/)

Jerseygirl Jun 30th 2011 2:33 am

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

It looks like the process to get pets ready to travel into the UK without quarantine is going to get much easier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ts-Europe.html

Mummy in the foothills Jun 30th 2011 3:43 am

Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

:thumbsup:
Makes it easier, doesn't it.
Chip them and get a rabies shot 21 days before traveling from the sound of it.

pennylessinindia Jun 30th 2011 12:23 pm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

Poppy girl Jun 30th 2011 7:01 pm

This is fantastic news so pleased you posted this JG after my last trip to the UK I realised that if Mum needs me and I have to go back for a length of time I needed to get Puss sorted to come back with me I was actually going to find out about getting him a pet passport today funnily enough so this is Great :thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Jun 30th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9467583)
This is fantastic news so pleased you posted this JG after my last trip to the UK I realised that if Mum needs me and I have to go back for a length of time I needed to get Puss sorted to come back with me I was actually going to find out about getting him a pet passport today funnily enough so this is Great :thumbsup:

Isn't it just? What a timeline difference...26 weeks down to 3! :thumbsup:

When I came to live in the US you had no choice...pets had to be quarantined for 6 mths...then DEFRA kicked in...how times change.

Scout Jun 30th 2011 7:39 pm

I hope this takes off a lot of the stress for those moving back to the UK with their pets. An international move is stressful enough........and I know that making sure my dog was ok & up to date with the DEFRA regs was the most stressful part of the move. :thumbsup:

sueffun Jun 30th 2011 7:51 pm

Thank you for posting this information. I have three cats and in the back of my mind always worried if I left South Africa what I would do as its so expensive to put them into quarantine for 6 months. They already have microchips and are vaccinated yearly for rabies as we live in KwaZulu Natal where rabies is endemic.
I emmigrated to SA in 1980 and in 1983 very nearly returned to the UK except I had two beautiful cats that I didn't want to leave behind. Had several kitties since then.:)

Poppy girl Jun 30th 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9467631)
Isn't it just? What a timeline difference...26 weeks down to 3! :thumbsup:

When I came to live in the US you had no choice...pets had to be quarantined for 6 mths...then DEFRA kicked in...how times change.

I remember my old kitty back on the 90's had to stay in Newmarket for 6 months under quarantine, thanks god the UK has finally come to their senses this has been very much over due.

killerhales Jun 30th 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks so much for posting this.

Ironically our three animals just had their blood samples taken yesterday! I phoned our carrier, Jetpets, and the blood tests have been cancelled. We had a vet visit at home so we still have to pay for that, but we have saved $200 per animal.

They had just picked up the information about 5 minutes before I called.

Whoever actually does the tests will be losing a lot of business!

odee Jul 1st 2011 2:05 pm

so we can take our pets, but not our wives....

aaaand the UK keeps getting stranger!

Poppy girl Jul 1st 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by odee (Post 9469047)
so we can take our pets, but not our wives....

aaaand the UK keeps getting stranger!

Never heard of a spouse carrying the rabies virus :blink:

sallysimmons Jul 2nd 2011 12:40 pm

Excellent news! Thanks for posting.

kgirl2011 Jul 4th 2011 2:30 pm

new defra rules2012 for taking pets back to uk

be sure to check out DEFRAs website, if your taking your pet home..there are new policies coming for 2012 :)

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

odee Jul 4th 2011 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9469127)
Never heard of a spouse carrying the rabies virus :blink:

yeah but i dont go to those countries :D

pilottinker Jul 5th 2011 4:42 am

Re: new defra rules2012 for taking pets back to uk

Thanks Kira

1chumly Jul 5th 2011 12:10 pm

See the READ ME section in this forum

ann m Jul 5th 2011 12:26 pm

So have I read that correctly? You no longer need to faff about with microchips/rabies vaccinations/titre tests all in the correct order - you just need to (use a pet export company to avoid quarantine, and) do the tick and tapeworm within 48 hrs of travelling?

That seems remarkably straight forward. (That'll be a first :p ).

Pollyana Jul 5th 2011 2:27 pm

Threads merged :)

Poppy girl Jul 6th 2011 12:01 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 9476304)
So have I read that correctly? You no longer need to faff about with microchips/rabies vaccinations/titre tests all in the correct order - you just need to (use a pet export company to avoid quarantine, and) do the tick and tapeworm within 48 hrs of travelling?

That seems remarkably straight forward. (That'll be a first :p ).

I would not use a pet export company did not use one before and be darned if I am gonna pay someone to do something this simple.

ann m Jul 6th 2011 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9477594)
I would not use a pet export company did not use one before and be darned if I am gonna pay someone to do something this simple.

I read this:

It must then enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route (see below).

If your pet enters the UK with an unapproved transport company or on an unauthorised route you will need to arrange for it to be licensed into quarantine. It can be released from quarantine as soon as a documentary check confirms that it complies with the PETS rules. This usually takes no more than a few working days.

which is why I thought one might feel "obliged" to use a company to keep things simple and quick ...

Does the DIY route equal "unauthorized transport company", I wonder. You would hope not. Not everyone can afford extra for pet companies.

sallysimmons Jul 6th 2011 1:31 am

I think "approved transport company" means one of the airlines or ships that are approved by DEFRA. So if you chartered a jet (ha!) or travelled on an unapproved airline, your pet would be put in quarantine.

Poppy girl Jul 6th 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9477710)
I think "approved transport company" means one of the airlines or ships that are approved by DEFRA. So if you chartered a jet (ha!) or travelled on an unapproved airline, your pet would be put in quarantine.

Yep when I took my last cat in he was taken from Cargo Air Portugalia at Faro Airport (Portugal) and flown over.

Poppy girl Jul 6th 2011 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 9477696)
I read this:

It must then enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route (see below).

If your pet enters the UK with an unapproved transport company or on an unauthorised route you will need to arrange for it to be licensed into quarantine. It can be released from quarantine as soon as a documentary check confirms that it complies with the PETS rules. This usually takes no more than a few working days.

which is why I thought one might feel "obliged" to use a company to keep things simple and quick ...

Does the DIY route equal "unauthorized transport company", I wonder. You would hope not. Not everyone can afford extra for pet companies.

I managed to do it without a company, if I can then there is hope for anyone lol :)

Poppy girl Jul 6th 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9477710)

Correct mother called Defra to confirm what this meant and it is indeed refering to the Airline carrier not the Pet carrier company..you DO NOT have to use one.

sallysimmons Jul 6th 2011 5:25 pm

God I am just dreading this. Somehow the new rules have brought it home to me. We have 3 cats who are all terrified of everything except us. They are going to be so afraid :(

Poppy girl Jul 6th 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9479206)
God I am just dreading this. Somehow the new rules have brought it home to me. We have 3 cats who are all terrified of everything except us. They are going to be so afraid :(

I thought the same when Puss flew, I was sure she would have a heart attack, but she was fine they are well cared for and sleep most of the time they are in a seperate compartment of the hold, not thrown in with the luggage lol....I was told that they cannot have any kind of pet calm tablet incase it makes them sick and they choke on their own vomit (lovely):blink: but serioulsy it does make sense, they will be fine kittys fly every day.

nh94110 Jul 6th 2011 7:51 pm

Hi, I am supposed to be on the QM2 in May of 12. I just contacted Cunard about the new regs from DEFRA. They are still figuring them out. I am coming from the US. In the old schema, the blood test had to be certified by a USDA vet. It isn't clean in the new scheme if the USDA vet has to certify the vaccination or not. And, if your pet has had rabies vaccines in the past, what do you do about a booster shot? Do you need all the paperwork that links back to the original vaccine? I couldn't find the answers to any of these questions on the DEFRA web site. Anyone know?

Also I noticed that one of the posters above was using PetJets...has anyone used them? Are they very expensive? Can you fly with your pet?

Thanks!

Poppy girl Jul 6th 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by nh94110 (Post 9479534)
Hi, I am supposed to be on the QM2 in May of 12. I just contacted Cunard about the new regs from DEFRA. They are still figuring them out. I am coming from the US. In the old schema, the blood test had to be certified by a USDA vet. It isn't clean in the new scheme if the USDA vet has to certify the vaccination or not. And, if your pet has had rabies vaccines in the past, what do you do about a booster shot? Do you need all the paperwork that links back to the original vaccine? I couldn't find the answers to any of these questions on the DEFRA web site. Anyone know?

Also I noticed that one of the posters above was using PetJets...has anyone used them? Are they very expensive? Can you fly with your pet?

Thanks!

With all due respect I think this does answer everything.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications...o-uk110706.pdf

Jerseygirl Jul 6th 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by nh94110 (Post 9479534)

Thanks!

If I had any concerns over the new scheme I would contact DEFRA.

TBH given that your trip is so far away and your Cunard trip is booked I would go down the present route for taking your pet back to the UK...then you know for sure everything is OK. Good luck and welcome to BE. :)

Wawa Jul 7th 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9479206)

Sal, at least they will have each other on the plane! I wonder if they can be in the same cage (if its large enough?) or if they can be loaded closely enough together so they know their buddies are next door? Its worrying, I know. Mine will be flying solo, and she's a Siamese so God help the other animals, she never shuts up. :lol:

Jerseygirl Jul 7th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wawa (Post 9480981)
Sal, at least they will have each other on the plane! I wonder if they can be in the same cage (if its large enough?) or if they can be loaded closely enough together so they know their buddies are next door? Its worrying, I know. Mine will be flying solo, and she's a Siamese so God help the other animals, she never shuts up. :lol:

The each have to be in separate crates. I suppose you can request for the crates to be put side by side...but you won't really know if they are.

Poppy girl Jul 7th 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9480991)
The each have to be in separate crates. I suppose you can request for the crates to be put side by side...but you won't really know if they are.

They can do the crossword together on the flight over!! :lol:

Miss Daisy Jul 15th 2011 8:45 pm

Hello everyone has anybody used or heard of Skydogs Pet Transport Matlock Derbyshire I plan on using them for my dog but dont seem to be able to find much info on them any help or knowledge of them would be greatly appreciated
Thank You Miss Daisy

Jerseygirl Jul 15th 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Daisy (Post 9498024)
Hello everyone has anybody used or heard of Skydogs Pet Transport Matlock Derbyshire I plan on using them for my dog but dont seem to be able to find much info on them any help or knowledge of them would be greatly appreciated
Thank You Miss Daisy

Hello and welcome to BE. As this thread is about the new DEFRA regs for taking pets back to the UK....I think you would be best starting a new thread...otherwise your question is going to get lost in this thread.

Miss Daisy Jul 15th 2011 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9498085)
Hello and welcome to BE. As this thread is about the new DEFRA regs for taking pets back to the UK....I think you would be best starting a new thread...otherwise your question is going to get lost in this thread.

thank you jersey girl for your prompt reply

Jerseygirl Jul 15th 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Daisy (Post 9498168)
thank you jersey girl for your prompt reply

You're welcome...give me a shout if you need help with anything.

Miss Daisy Jul 15th 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9498192)
You're welcome...give me a shout if you need help with anything.

I am searching at the moment how to start the new thread you mentioned sorry im new

Miss Daisy Jul 15th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Daisy (Post 9498194)
I am searching at the moment how to start the new thread you mentioned sorry im new

Thanks again Jersey Girl i think i got the hang of it now new thread

leavingcanada Jul 18th 2011 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9480991)

this very morning i had a price from boomerang in calgary about shipping 2 poms back to UK...i gave her my crates sizes..we shipped 3 bichons over a few years ago and still have the crates.....they have assumed that so long as the dogs can stand to move and turn around and that they get on well together that they will be shipped in one crate..approx 34 kgs air canada climate controlled cargo at 686 bucks cdn.....on the same note did any one ever have to pay charges for customs clearance and defra on arrival at london heathrow? the total costs would be a tad under 2000 bucks cdn..AND there still has be be a government approved vet sign off on the papers as well as your local vet...even under the new rule change in january 2012

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by leavingcanada (Post 9503351)
this very morning i had a price from boomerang in calgary about shipping 2 poms back to UK...i gave her my crates sizes..we shipped 3 bichons over a few years ago and still have the crates.....they have assumed that so long as the dogs can stand to move and turn around and that they get on well together that they will be shipped in one crate..approx 34 kgs air canada climate controlled cargo at 686 bucks cdn.....on the same note did any one ever have to pay charges for customs clearance and defra on arrival at london heathrow? the total costs would be a tad under 2000 bucks cdn..AND there still has be be a government approved vet sign off on the papers as well as your local vet...even under the new rule change in january 2012

Very interesting I'd read that each animal had to be isolated from one another...maybe not.