In need of some advice

Old May 10th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of some advice

Originally Posted by lf1
I brought my Eddie Bauer down coat. I wore it, at times, the first winter I was back, but this winter, it didn't see the light of day. I did bring some bed linen, that I already had as a Cdn Queen size fits a UK King size. I did buy a couple of bed skirts from Restoration Hardware as I couldn't find a similar quality here, however, as you are handy with a sewing machine, you could probably make them yourself. Maybe bed skirts (valances) aren't that popular here. I do wish we had Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn here, they have such nice home accesories, but maybe I just haven't found their equivalent here.
In that case, I will take my down coats. I hate to leave them behind and I think, especially by the coast, they will be handy in colder weather.

I don't use bed skirts. I have allergies so I try to live with out excess fabric in my life. I also buy leather furniture for this reason. Here, I had a Danish bedframe that didn't require a bedskirt so hopefully I can find something similar over there.
Old May 10th 2014, 7:34 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
In that case, I will take my down coats. I hate to leave them behind and I think, especially by the coast, they will be handy in colder weather.

I don't use bed skirts. I have allergies so I try to live with out excess fabric in my life. I also buy leather furniture for this reason. Here, I had a Danish bedframe that didn't require a bedskirt so hopefully I can find something similar over there.

I remember, a few years ago, on a visit to Edinburgh, in early January, I was very happy to be wearing my EB down coat. It even kept me warm whilst sleeping on the floor of CDG Airport, but that is a long story.

You'll be able to find lots of beds that don't need skirts. I chose to go with beds that have drawers underneath, so skirts finish them off nicely.

Last edited by lf1; May 10th 2014 at 7:41 pm.
Old May 11th 2014, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erin0259
Hi Englishmaple,
As you and others on this forum know i am also moving back to the UK next year, i am also 50 and moving back with no job or a place to live, i have been looking at places and have decided on a i bed annexe or bed sit if i can find one that accepts pets as i am taking my small dog with me.

I won't lie i am scared to death, i am planning to have at least 6 months savings to live on but worry about finding a job also, but i cannot stay here, i miss the UK so much, i am also currently separated after a bad marriage, but honestly i would rather live in the UK broke than stay in the US for the rest of my life lonely and miserable, as you know i have no family here and my only child lives in the UK now.

So i say go home girl!!!! we are not spring chickens but we are not old either, better now than never, alot of people on here wish they would have gone home when they had the chance, yes it will be tough at times but we will be stronger and happier in the long run.

Good luck and keep us posted, we are all here for you and understand what you are going through
Without doubt it was the hardest thing I have done, Far harder than in reverse when I had practically nothing financially and materially but drive, youth, and determination.
There was far far more to sort out this time, including new passport and unaccompanied + carry on luggage. It was all done on a stringent budget.

What drove it was steely determination to keep going. Once an income was established not one damn thing was going to stop me. Needing to leave-needing to return was my rod and staff.

Cliché it may be: if you want it enough you will do it.

Originally Posted by Sheliaa
Dear lady...I read your post and I can sympathies with you.I am a lady on my own,and a bit older than you. I am in Australia{Brisbane} and want to return to U.K. later this year.I have been here over11 years and like you, have no family back in U.K.
Yes it wont be easy I know,but the feelings you feel won`t go away, they will always be there.Also I lived in Canada many years ago with ex husband. I lived in Edmonton and it was horrible{sorry] Desolate, freezing in Winter, and the only thing that interested people as far as I could see was sport.If you don`t like Ontario you definitely won`t like Edmonton..
It doesn`t get any easier with time and in fact gets worse..
I expect it to be alien and difficult to begin with back home .So much has changed and it takes time to readjust.Not having family support makes it harder for me too.However I look to all the things I enjoy there and I know it is worth it just to be home..
Sheliaa- it is as I have said above. I had no family support either-both going (Adelaide) and returning.

Good luck and good fortune to you!
Old May 11th 2014, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Sheliaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello..E.I.N. Thanks for your words of support.It is always so comforting to know someone else has done it too!
May I ask you how you are getting along in U.K. and how long you have been there?I think it also depends on the part you choose to return to.The London area[as far as I can tell}would be much more difficult and expensive than say Scotland.I`m looking at residential park homes around the U.K.
You know,even when we think we have it tough..there is always someone had it tougher.. Sheliaa
Old May 12th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheliaa
Hello..E.I.N. Thanks for your words of support.It is always so comforting to know someone else has done it too!
May I ask you how you are getting along in U.K. and how long you have been there?I think it also depends on the part you choose to return to.The London area[as far as I can tell}would be much more difficult and expensive than say Scotland.I`m looking at residential park homes around the U.K.
You know,even when we think we have it tough..there is always someone had it tougher.. Sheliaa
I've been back 5 months. Settling back was seamless-I'm back where I should be so that was not a problem.

There are major problems with dysfunction in a retirement complex that I live in, but it is a work in progress with various agencies and an MP involved. Whilst the management company have routinely denied things they have been changing them! Par for the course!
Whenever any organisation or even individual does something wrong the first thing they do is deny, but as I think I've said before, I don't care what they say, I care what they do.

I don't discuss my specific location, but suggest that there are obvious areas that are very expensive. I know that some parts of Scotland are more cost effective. We have a member who lives in an area where they are looking to repopulate and thus accommodation is cheaper.
He may pop by, you never know!

Research,research,research. It takes hours of it to look at areas/how they function/what is available there,cost,employ etc. Before any other preparation, that is the one that should come first if you are alone.

We will do what we have to do, and as you say so many are so much worse off.

Good luck!