In need of some advice

Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of some advice

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
I'm a female (50) and I think I want to move back to the UK - but am struggling with some issues:

1. I now have a disability (repetitive strain) thanks to working for a Canadian employer on a contract with no redress - have spent thousands trying to get things better since 2004-ish and I can use a computer for periods of time providing I take breaks but it's put the kibosh on my previous career - librarianship - where I was using a computer all the time. I got a Canadian degree in social work last year but I don't know how useful that's going to be for getting work in the UK given my disability (and I'm not registered disabled .. just in that horrible grey area where dr's here can't help/aren't helpful and I can't fix the injury myself completely). I currently weight train and exercise - trying to strengthen my upper body to see whether I can manage to use the computer for longer without pain (I get pain within around 20 mins/to 1 hr of continual use at the moment).

2. I'm now separated from my husband - have some separation money and some spousal support for the next 2 years and then it's likely to stop - anyone know who I pay tax to on spousal support if I move back? (UK govt? Cdn govt?) (I don't have any kids though).

3. I have no family support and feel very overwhelmed at the prospect of sorting everything out.

The few friends I have in the UK have all said the economy is awful don't move back ... but I moved to Ontario in 2002 for my ex's job and have never settled here - I miss the UK so much. I am still exploring moving to Alberta in an effort to get work there but to be honest my heart isn't in it and after the freezing temps in Ontario recently I'm just not sure I could manage the cold winters.

Is it better to die in exile or in poverty? I kind of feel if I move back to the UK I probably face the latter but on the other hand, the prospect of staying here is so hard to contemplate .. I don't have anyone back in the UK that I could stay with for a month or so to get myself sorted out. And I've few friends here ... it's been really hard.

Anyone faced this situation and got through it? Any thoughts? Am thinking about taking a trip to Edmonton to do some job networking and see what it's like and then go back to the UK for a couple of weeks and see how I feel there ... but then I think that's such a lot of money ... maybe I should just try and take steps to go back to the UK?
I can really relate to your story even though my circumstances are a bit different.

I lived in the Midwest for 30 years and have always wanted to go home but the desire has to much stronger over the last six years. I stayed in the Midwest hoping I could find a decent job but could only find temp and short-term contract jobs for the last four years. For those four years, my goal was to go home but I began to lose hope. I needed a job to save in order to make it happen.

Well, a month ago I made a drastic move - sold everything and moved to CO where there are many more jobs. The only way I could make mysel do it was to see it as the first step in going home to the UK - selling everything! I am interviewing and things look hopeful or going home fairly soon.

When I was in the Midwest, I was prepared to save only the minimum to get me into the UK. I planned to stay with my half-sister with my pets until I could save enough to get settled on my own.

Now that I am in CO, if I get a job soon, I could get back with the bare minimum funds by early summer I think. However, I came to CO with minimum funds and am living with a friend until I get a job and my own place here. This was enough of a lesson to make me rethink going home to the UK with only my airfare and little in my pocket. The good thing is that even if I delay to the end of the summer/fall, I should be able to have a small savings - enough to get settled in the UK when I find a job there - to take back with me. Fingers crossed . . . I am interviewing for a fabulous job and, if I get it, I can turn my life around very quickly!

I just read my own message back People here are suggesting I stay in CO long enough to take back considerable funds to the UK. Isn't that always the case? We get swayed by external circumstances or people rather than listen to our own hearts. My heart has told me for YEARS to go back home so the big question now is will I go as per my original plan (minimum funds) or stay a little longer to take more money? I am 61 - I have waited way too many years to delay! My heart wants to go by yesterday but my head tells me wait a little longer. At least in my case, we are only talking of a difference of about five months. It's not an eternity.

Now, whenever I go back, it is only flights that are involved and the mailing of a few possessions. I no longer have to get rid of a house full of "stuff". It's already done.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 28th 2014 at 4:11 am.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting this Windsong - I'm in awe of you!

I did think about moving to Edmonton/Alberta and working there for a while before I moved back to the UK to get a job and more money - but when I realised what Winter would be like there, I decided not to - and my heart really wasn't in it either.

I think that's the big lesson that I've taken from all this - to listen to my heart. The day after I made the decision to definitely leave Canada, I physically felt the tension around my heart ease - I hadn't been aware of how much physical tension was there until I felt that part of my body physically relax and I was stunned. I think it's not until you experience that, that you realise what the emotional costs are with living somewhere that you are not happy in. And all the naysayers are quick to judge but usually haven't experienced what that's like.

I also hear you about the money - but I'm realising more and more how much I spend which is related to my unhappiness - even if it's only small amounts (like Starbucks) - but on a regular basis it adds up and I realise the many tiny ways I try to cheer myself up by spending bits of money. I really feel I won't do this in the UK because I will be that much happier.

For instance, when I last went back for a visit (in 2012 after a gap of 7 years) I remember standing in the countryside and thinking how beautiful the landscape was and being broken open by its beauty and the contrast between where I'd been living in Canada and what I'd left behind in England ... and things like that, you can't put a price on.

I know I'm going to be lot poorer in the UK compared to the lifestyle I have now but I think I will be more at peace with myself ... and if I'm not, well, nothing is set in stone and I will change things up again. Being an expat has definitely made me more resilient and going through the current process of moving has made me more aware of this too.

I've ditched more books since I last wrote! - I'm down to about 50 now! I would love to get rid of more but I'm down to the kind of reference books that I will need for work - so until I've got some secure employment I'm keeping them! Letting go of stuff is definitely a process - it's got easier for me as I've gone along. I'd like to let go of more stuff but I think I'm down to bare bones now - probably 12 to 15 boxes total. It may still be too much for my tiny bedroom in the UK! - but I'll manage somehow.

Good luck Windsong - keep listening to your heart.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update - I submitted my tax paperwork yesterday. And today is the first day of March and the last full month I spend in Canada. I cannot believe how many changes have happened the last few months but I feel so much lighter and happier in myself even as I realise there are things I'm going to miss here too - but I'm so looking forward to returning to the UK as well. Bittersweet.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Quick question about flights - so I looked up some and am finding that a one way ticket seems to cost a lot more than a return ticket .. which surprises me! Does anyone have advice about the best way to purchase a fairly cheap ticket to the UK - is it better to buy a return and not use the return portion?

BTW ideally I would like to get a day flight so that I arrive in the UK in the evening as I don't travel well and this is the best arrangement for me with respect to my well being. However most of the one way flights during the day are astronomical prices - around 1500 dollars.

Any suggestions appreciated - I am looking around the mid April period which I know coincides with Easter - I'm hoping to come back just before Easter but can be flexible with my dates.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the same thing about ticket prices, and I think many others on BE will echo that. I ended up buying a return, and not using the return portion. I believe others were able to get a refund for the unused portion, but I left it too late to do that as I was undecided about staying v returning to the US for the first few months of my UK life.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:19 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question about flights - so I looked up some and am finding that a one way ticket seems to cost a lot more than a return ticket .. which surprises me! Does anyone have advice about the best way to purchase a fairly cheap ticket to the UK - is it better to buy a return and not use the return portion?

BTW ideally I would like to get a day flight so that I arrive in the UK in the evening as I don't travel well and this is the best arrangement for me with respect to my well being. However most of the one way flights during the day are astronomical prices - around 1500 dollars.

Any suggestions appreciated - I am looking around the mid April period which I know coincides with Easter - I'm hoping to come back just before Easter but can be flexible with my dates.

I'd get a return if it is cheaper. Where are flying from and to? sorry if you have already posted this info. I know that flying out of Calgary to the UK the scheduled flights are overnight. Not sure about the charter flights. If you can't find a day flight from your location you could consider connecting through another city. I think there used to be daytime flight out of Toronto, but not sure if that is still the case. Best of luck
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lf1
I'd get a return if it is cheaper. Where are flying from and to? sorry if you have already posted this info. I know that flying out of Calgary to the UK the scheduled flights are overnight. Not sure about the charter flights. If you can't find a day flight from your location you could consider connecting through another city. I think there used to be daytime flight out of Toronto, but not sure if that is still the case. Best of luck
I'm going to fly out of Toronto - and yes there are day flights out of there - but the prices are astronomical. I think I will get a return and just not use the return portion - it seems crazy but it definitely looks cheaper.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheapest from Toronto that I know of are Air Transat or Iceland Air. Iceland Air also give double the baggage allowance of anyone else that I'm aware of.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
Cheapest from Toronto that I know of are Air Transat or Iceland Air. Iceland Air also give double the baggage allowance of anyone else that I'm aware of.
Thanks - I'll look into that. When I looked up on expedia, the only day flights that came up were aircanada though.

I have an xe.com query - I'm going to open an account with them but I'm just wondering - I won't have a UK account to transfer money to until I get to the UK - is it still possible to open an xe account if one doesn't have a UK account? (I'll have the canadian account details though).
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada is your most expensive flight option. Depends whether flying in the day is worth the extra money to you I guess
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
Air Canada is your most expensive flight option. Depends whether flying in the day is worth the extra money to you I guess
I've never done a night flight (altho' I did get on an overnight coach from Newcastle to London once which was horrendous - no sleep at all) - but even with day flights I find it takes me at least a week to feel like I can function - I travel really really badly and it throws out my sleep something rotten. At least doing a return ticket on a day flight will work out cheaper than one way.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:25 am
Just Joined

merciacanuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a female (50) and I think I want to move back to the UK - but am struggling with some issues:

1. I now have a disability (repetitive strain) thanks to working for a Canadian employer on a contract with no redress - have spent thousands trying to get things better since 2004-ish and I can use a computer for periods of time providing I take breaks but it's put the kibosh on my previous career - librarianship - where I was using a computer all the time. I got a Canadian degree in social work last year but I don't know how useful that's going to be for getting work in the UK given my disability (and I'm not registered disabled .. just in that horrible grey area where dr's here can't help/aren't helpful and I can't fix the injury myself completely). I currently weight train and exercise - trying to strengthen my upper body to see whether I can manage to use the computer for longer without pain (I get pain within around 20 mins/to 1 hr of continual use at the moment).

2. I'm now separated from my husband - have some separation money and some spousal support for the next 2 years and then it's likely to stop - anyone know who I pay tax to on spousal support if I move back? (UK govt? Cdn govt?) (I don't have any kids though).

3. I have no family support and feel very overwhelmed at the prospect of sorting everything out.

The few friends I have in the UK have all said the economy is awful don't move back ... but I moved to Ontario in 2002 for my ex's job and have never settled here - I miss the UK so much. I am still exploring moving to Alberta in an effort to get work there but to be honest my heart isn't in it and after the freezing temps in Ontario recently I'm just not sure I could manage the cold winters.

Is it better to die in exile or in poverty? I kind of feel if I move back to the UK I probably face the latter but on the other hand, the prospect of staying here is so hard to contemplate .. I don't have anyone back in the UK that I could stay with for a month or so to get myself sorted out. And I've few friends here ... it's been really hard.

Anyone faced this situation and got through it? Any thoughts? Am thinking about taking a trip to Edmonton to do some job networking and see what it's like and then go back to the UK for a couple of weeks and see how I feel there ... but then I think that's such a lot of money ... maybe I should just try and take steps to go back to the UK?
the key words you used are "live" in the Uk and "die" in Canada so that should help you make your mind up. Just don't expect to live like a Canadian in the UK.My friends are always whinning over there but they still go to exotic places for vacation and purchase the latest Tv's cars etc so I would not let that influence you. I've been in Ontario for 25 years and all my friends here are immigrants! Hopefully homebound in the next 2 years! good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merciacanuk
Just don't expect to live like a Canadian in the UK.
I think you have hit the nail on the head with this comment, The first year back you tend to make many comparisons between the two countries (in my case it was the US) and it is painful. Material goods often cost more here, and are not always the same - and the UK is Metric whereas the US is Imperial in sizes of items. Not always possible to compare 'apples with apples'. But once you get past the first year or so, and start getting money in GBP and not having to continuously convert US dollars, life gets better. Coming from Canada it should not be such a culture shock, and you will be accustomed to Nationalised medicine. Whereas coming from the US with no national health care system, being accustomed to either paying for all your care or having none at all in many situations (mine included) the fact that you have access to medical personnel and facilities without having to provide an insurance card and co-payments is a wonderful relief. Swings and roundabouts.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never done a night flight (altho' I did get on an overnight coach from Newcastle to London once which was horrendous - no sleep at all) - but even with day flights I find it takes me at least a week to feel like I can function - I travel really really badly and it throws out my sleep something rotten. At least doing a return ticket on a day flight will work out cheaper than one way.
I accept the night flight / day flight issue but Dashie has said that Air Transat happens to be the cheapest from Toronto and I concur as we were on this case somewhere else this week. Perhaps Dashie should have added that they sell one way tickets as a 'speciality' meaning that they are NOT more expensive than round-trip, more like Half a round-trip ticket.

Therefore you don't have to worry about the possibility of recovering some of the costs associated with the unused portion of your overall ticket to make financial sense of it all.

There are times of year and specific dates when Icelandair are a bit cheaper but I think the layover in Reykjavik would do you in if you suffer from exaggerated jet-lag conditions.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe Dashie thought she could look that up herself? All I know is that they're cheaper, not what each airline specialises in.

IcelandAir is a longer trip, but might be worth looking into due to the doubled baggage allowance and possibility for daytime travel. Again, I haven't looked at that element of it myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.