Narrowboat Holiday

Old Oct 10th 2010, 11:45 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Narrowboat Holiday

Originally Posted by GeoffM
No need to wait for a trip to the UK - just head up to New York State! http://www.canalcruises.com/
I've got a mule and her name is Sal, 15 years on the Erie Canal..........
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:11 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

No need to wait for a trip to the UK - just head up to New York State! http://www.canalcruises.com/
OK but do they have canalside pubs like the one in Coastieexpats photo?
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would enjoy that also.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
OK but do they have canalside pubs like the one in Coastieexpats photo?
Good point!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
A great way to travel through Britain. We did " The Cheshire Ring " earlier this year. Quite affordable too, we even stopped off and picked my Mum up for a days cruise.

Anyway I highly recommend it
Second that, went on a couple of those holidays when I was a kid, absolutely loved it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Gannett has a spectacular aura aboutGannett has a spectacular aura aboutGannett has a spectacular aura about

Love narrow-boats. I did a lovely narrow boat holiday about 10 years ago. I went with a university friend and his best mate, whose family owned an old narrowboat - diesel engine, but no electricity, just oil lamps and a big metal wood-burning stove to keep us warm.

We did a 3-day run, from Beeston in Cheshire to Ellesmere Port and back. We stocked the boat up with beer and frozen pizzas, and set off. It was great just cruising along, mooring outside pubs on the way.

One night we moored up in Chester city centre. I woke up and noticed the boat was rocking a bit more than it had been, and we found that some scallywags had undone the mooring at one end of the boat and the boat was sticking out into the middle of the canal!

It was very low-key, low-stress, great company, and plenty of beer. the locks gave us a great workout. I would really love to do it again.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

One night we moored up in Chester city centre. I woke up and noticed the boat was rocking a bit more than it had been, and we found that some scallywags had undone the mooring at one end of the boat and the boat was sticking out into the middle of the canal!
Same thing happened to our boat in Portland basin. But mostly it was just serene, and I do enjoy the canal culture.

I may have to go back to the UK for a couple of month's, I am considering trying to hire one privately rather than stay with the family, ( after 1 week , I remember why I left Bless them ! ).

There's a canal about 10 minutes walk from my mums, or I could go a couple of miles into the country where there are less people, and cycle into town.

I would love to own a narrowboat, I looked into it but it just doesn't make sense if you live over here.

If I was just renting a boat for a few days or a couple of weeks, I would go with these people. http://www.black-prince.com/
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:00 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

If I was just renting a boat for a few days or a couple of weeks, I would go with these people. http://www.black-prince.com/
+1 for Black prince.

I used to do at least a week's narrowboating a year back in the UK (when I had 32 days holiday a year!).

Marvelous way to relax. Loved the K&A from Devizes down to Bristol, especially the Caen Flight of 22 locks.

There is a pub just to the West of Devizes on the south side of the K&A called The Barge. Wonderful place.

The other place that is magnificent beyond description is the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in Llangollen.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Loved the K&A from Devizes down to Bristol, especially the Caen Flight of 22 locks.

There is a pub just to the West of Devizes on the south side of the K&A called The Barge. Wonderful place.
And if you go a few miles east of Devizes on the canal you'll get to see what aliens have done - it's crop circle land apparently.

Last edited by GeoffM; Oct 13th 2010 at 7:35 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

The other place that is magnificent beyond description is the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in Llangollen.
Built Between 1795 and 1805. by Thomas Telford....
Attached Thumbnails Narrowboat Holiday-281.jpg   Narrowboat Holiday-280.jpg   Narrowboat Holiday-274.jpg  
Old Oct 14th 2010, 4:02 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Built Between 1795 and 1805. by Thomas Telford....
My husband would be creaming his jeans.