British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Narrowboat Holiday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/narrowboat-holiday-688809/)

coastieexpat Oct 9th 2010 2:53 am

Narrowboat Holiday

2 Attachment(s)
A great way to travel through Britain. We did " The Cheshire Ring " earlier this year. Quite affordable too, we even stopped off and picked my Mum up for a days cruise.

Anyway I highly recommend it :)

Duncan Roberts Oct 9th 2010 3:04 am

Re: Narrowboat Holiday

Ditto. Great way to relax and have a nice holiday.

bevinva Oct 9th 2010 1:28 pm

I recommend them all the time.:thumbsup:

cindyabs Oct 9th 2010 1:29 pm

would love to do one. Sigh.

coastieexpat Oct 9th 2010 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8907236)
would love to do one. Sigh.

One day luv ! It took me 25 years to get it together. :fingerscrossed:

cindyabs Oct 9th 2010 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by coastieexpat (Post 8907462)
One day luv ! It took me 25 years to get it together. :fingerscrossed:

I won't be able to get into the boat by then. :lol::unsure::(

elfman Oct 9th 2010 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by coastieexpat (Post 8906488)
A great way to travel through Britain. We did " The Cheshire Ring " earlier this year. Quite affordable too, we even stopped off and picked my Mum up for a days cruise.

Anyway I highly recommend it :)

I did one of those with some mates from college in 1994 - went from Bunbury in Cheshire to Llangollen and back. Turned into a weeklong pissup.

coastieexpat Oct 9th 2010 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8907475)
I did one of those with some mates from college in 1994 - went from Bunbury in Cheshire to Llangollen and back. Turned into a weeklong pissup.

Isn't it great to just roll out of the pub, and stumble to the boat!!

I am thinking of living on one someday, all I need is money and time :unsure:

bevinva Oct 9th 2010 5:42 pm

The interiors of the boats are much improved too.

MsElui Oct 9th 2010 8:17 pm

i did a couple of hols in them when i was a teenager - had a blast. No underage drinking at all .:wub:

elfman Oct 9th 2010 11:33 pm

One of the things that amused us on the narrowboat trip we did was that screwed to one of the bulkheads in each boat was a big laminated panel with detailed instructions about what to do if you fell overboard. It was all "try to tread water, remove heavy garments and footwear, grab hold of life belts when thrown to you etc etc". But as we discovered when one of our party actually did fall in, you could have replaced the whole thing with one simple instruction, reading: "If you fall in, STAND UP - the canal's only three and a half feet deep".

coastieexpat Oct 10th 2010 2:27 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8907932)
One of the things that amused us on the narrowboat trip we did was that screwed to one of the bulkheads in each boat was a big laminated panel with detailed instructions about what to do if you fell overboard. It was all "try to tread water, remove heavy garments and footwear, grab hold of life belts when thrown to you etc etc". But as we discovered when one of our party actually did fall in, you could have replaced the whole thing with one simple instruction, reading: "If you fall in, STAND UP - the canal's only three and a half feet deep".

:thumbsup: The missus couldn't believe we used to swim in the canal when we were kids . ( the mid 70's, before they were cleaned up ).

coastieexpat Oct 10th 2010 2:30 am

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 8907531)
The interiors of the boats are much improved too.

Some of the custom ones are gorgeous, inside and out !

coastieexpat Oct 10th 2010 2:45 am

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by coastieexpat (Post 8908100)
Some of the custom ones are gorgeous, inside and out !

This one was really nice....

GeoffM Oct 10th 2010 9:23 am

No need to wait for a trip to the UK - just head up to New York State! http://www.canalcruises.com/