Moving from UAE to UK with a cat

Moving from UAE to UK with a cat

Old Feb 26th 2021, 6:12 am
HEG
Just Joined

HEG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving from UAE to UK with a cat

Hi all,
I'll start by saying that this is a great find. What a great resource to have access to. Thank you to those of you who set this up and maintain it.

My question is about moving to the UK with a cat from the UAE. Our cat has a pet passport issued in Ethiopia, chipped in Ethiopia. The cat came with us to Dubai 1.5 years ago and has all the vaccinations etc. We're moving to the UK at the end of June. I've contacted a cattery for advice on the process and costs associated with this but would welcome advice from anyone who has experience of this. What kind of timeframe/costs are we looking at?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Noonicorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UAE to UK with a cat

You need to get rabies done min. 3 weeks before you move. If you then get a second shot after the 3 weeks is up but before a month has passed your cat is covered for the year. They will also need a wellness check 5 days to 24 hours before they leave and a worm tablet. All this has to be documented in their passport. I would advise looking for a defra regd pet transporter as they can negotiate all the customs etc at both ends. In Spain I pay 12e per rabies shot then about 400e for the transport per cat overland to the UK. When I shipped my cats by air from italy to Spain the fee for transport was close to 1000e per cat. As you can see the cost varies wildly.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to a local vet. Dunno about UAE but in KSA there was graet Scottish vet based in jeddah who was very clued up about thes things. We took our dog back to Bulgaria in 2002 when we moved home.
Old May 9th 2021, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

May not be relevant but just in case:
I got a rescue cat in Qatar.
Really easy to bring back to UK.
I used a relocation agent. A bit more expensive but so worth it.
My baby loves the UK