Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Old May 31st 2022, 8:24 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Originally Posted by angie_329
Manchester is a border entry post so like heathrow and gatwick you can fly pets direct there for clearance if the airline is flying there direct. Otherwise your pet would be need to be customs cleared at first port of entry. Remember a few days pre departure a vet has to enter in the health certificate ( this contains the same data as a pet passport would, which are used in europe) a clinical exam that the animal is fit to fly/ travel. The airline, you or pet transport company usually send a scan of the pet paperwork 2 r 3 days before, this helps with pre clearance, and any errors or omissions can be rectified before the flight

if the uk animal reception centres have long waiting lists you can fly to France or other airports in northern europe like brussels or frankfurt
if you do a search for pet transports services uk animal couriers uk you will find companies that transport pets from airports right to your home, in some cases you can travel with them and your pet in the approved van.

Usually the transport carrier for a cat inside an air craft is smaller than the one they would travel in cargo and has it has to be under seat in front that can be tight. It depends on the cat's character. This would only apply if you travelled to Europe, as Pets have to enter UK by air in cargo hold.
The cargo hold is quiet and pets are put in special area , its all pressurised and climate controlled. There are pet regulations that govern this, IATA for pets. There is also IPATA , professional pet travel members.

The approved carriers for international travel and entering the UK by air in the hold are vari kennel/ sky kennel /petmate vari kennel - same thing just branded differently. Size one is ok for any cat. they have room to stand turn around in it and has water bowl clipped inside. You can put a nappy in side.
Start feeding your cat inside the kennel so they get used to it.

Watch out on kennel size for cats. Just flew my cat transatlantic with IAG (BA cargo) and they will NOT accept anything less than 200 kennel size for cats.

Heathrow Animal Reception Centre requires an agent on the UK end to clear the animal,, but it's not too pricey. I did my own on the US end. Flying in May, I had to reserve my spot at HARC eight weeks ahead of time due to them being busy. Actual flight arranged two weeks ahead.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Diane Rowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Hello Joanne, I plan to travel with my cat so I understand that I will need documentation from the vet specific to the UK and to complete the
declaration form saying that I am not planning to sell my cat. I imagine after I book with Air Transat they will tell me where to drop her off at Toronto Airport and where to pick her up in Manchester. Am I missing anything? Thanks Diane
Old Jun 9th 2022, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Joanna F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diane Rowe
Hello Joanne, I plan to travel with my cat so I understand that I will need documentation from the vet specific to the UK and to complete the
declaration form saying that I am not planning to sell my cat. I imagine after I book with Air Transat they will tell me where to drop her off at Toronto Airport and where to pick her up in Manchester. Am I missing anything? Thanks Diane
Hi Diane,

Once you confirm with AirTransat when you want to fly, they will be able to tell you where to drop of your cat. Usually airlines designate this to a cargo company. The cargo will have to book a spot for your cat in Manchester for the desired date - they need that confirmation before they can schedule a flight.

You need to take your cat to the vet no more than 10 days prior to the cat’s travel as the certificate is only valid for 10 days from issue date. I have taken my cats for their vet visit 5 days prior travel date to allow some time in case of any delays. Your vet needs to fill in the Health Certificate form (the microchip scan date has to be before or on the same day as the rabies vaccine - this is very important). You will find the certificate on the CFIA website - this is the dog, cat and ferrets to Great Britain non commercial movement, print a few copies (mistake happen) and take it to your vet. Your vet will also need to provide supporting documentation - vaccination certificate (containing the vaccine manufacturer, the name of the vaccine, lot # ,the expiry date of the lot, your cat’s chip number, date of birth - this information can be found on “bring your pet to Great Britain” UK government website. The airlines may also require “fit to fly” letter from the vet, so I would just go ahead and ask for it. Once your Health Certificate for the movement has been completed by the vet, it has to be endorsed by the official vet at CFIA - I had to make an appointment ahead.
you will also need to arrange for a custom clearance agent in the UK at the Manchester airport. You can find this info by googling.

In summary:
1. Your cat has had his/hers microchip read/inserted prior or on the same day as the rabies vaccine
2. bring Health Certificate to vet up to 10 days before travel (remember there is a time difference so your pets will be arriving a day later) and have the vet fill it in
3. ask your vet to provide supporting documentation : vaccine certificate and fit to fly
4. have the Health Certificate endorsed by CFIA (make appointment ahead)
5. Usually your clearance agent will suggest you send them the scanned paperwork ahead for a check.
6. your clearance agent will be your point of contact once you’re in the UK, and will be able to advise you when you can pick up your four legged companion. We landed 2 hours after our cats and were able to pick them up within next hour.

Let me know if you need any more information. Your best bet is to talk to airline, and CFIA (I found the official vet I dealt with very knowledgeable and helpful).

Good luck!
Joanna
Old Jun 10th 2022, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hello, After being on hold with Air Transat for 5 hours I was referred to Expair Cargo. I haven’t managed to speak to an agent today so I will try again on Monday. I will try to locate a CIFA vet. Good thing I am postponing my flight from June to Aug. In the meantime I will check my cat’s microchip and that information is up to date. Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2022, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Apparently Air Canada has flights between Toronto and Manchester. You must be a very capable person Joanne. I think I would have a nervous breakdown attempting to do this by myself on top of dealing with the UK system of home buying. I have handed job over to Paws En Route. Especially as there are so many issues flying right now.