Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Old Jan 7th 2022, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Joanna F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Hi, I am moving back to the UK (Toronto - London) next month and completing the process of moving my two cats with me. My last step is health certificate and endorsement of the paperwork (CFIA). I was hoping someone who has had the experience traveling with pets to the UK and completing the process could share some insights. In summary, my cats are already booked at HARC. I will be dropping them off to a cargo company (IAG, operating for BA) which will transport them in pet cargo hold. I had to re micro-chip one of the cats, as his old chip was not ISO standard and was not readable. After micro-chipping, we re-vaccinated him with rabies on the same day. The other cat is up to date with her vaccines and micro-chip.

Could you recommend what documents do I need to attach to the health certificate? (Vaccination certificate?, microchip documentation?)
In my written declaration attached to the health certificate (and section II.1. on health certificate) do I declare responsibility of the cats to the cargo company or myself, the owner since I will be picking them up on the other side?

The cargo company says they are not able to answer any questions related to documentation.

Thank you all in advance.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

marigoldfairy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Hi! We are also sending our two cats to the UK in the next month or two however we are in NZ so requirements probably different.

We are using a pet transport agency who have given all the forms of what we need. Basically Rabies vaccines at least 3 weeks prior, owner and a vet declaration completed with 30 days of export (we are doing this a week before). Then we drop them off at MPI for their examination and the pet transport agency take care of the rest.

I guess I’m saying it’s worth engaging a pet transport agency to take the pain away as moving is stressful enough.
Old Jan 13th 2022, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with my 2 cats back to the UK soon - need help with paperwork

Originally Posted by Joanna F
Hi, I am moving back to the UK (Toronto - London) next month and completing the process of moving my two cats with me. My last step is health certificate and endorsement of the paperwork (CFIA). I was hoping someone who has had the experience traveling with pets to the UK and completing the process could share some insights. In summary, my cats are already booked at HARC. I will be dropping them off to a cargo company (IAG, operating for BA) which will transport them in pet cargo hold. I had to re micro-chip one of the cats, as his old chip was not ISO standard and was not readable. After micro-chipping, we re-vaccinated him with rabies on the same day. The other cat is up to date with her vaccines and micro-chip.

Could you recommend what documents do I need to attach to the health certificate? (Vaccination certificate?, microchip documentation?)
In my written declaration attached to the health certificate (and section II.1. on health certificate) do I declare responsibility of the cats to the cargo company or myself, the owner since I will be picking them up on the other side?

The cargo company says they are not able to answer any questions related to documentation.

Thank you all in advance.
Hi, sorry I can't answer document specific questions but have you considered bringing them in the cabin with you? I know Air Canada allow this and only costs roughly $100 and they 'replace' your hand luggage.

If you are travelling alone I think you are only allowed one cat per person, not 100% sure on this.

Old Jan 13th 2022, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion. One of my cats is too big to be allowed into the cabin, and besides that, I found out the UK Authorities do not allow pets to fly to the UK in the main cabin, they have to go in the pet cargo hold. Only certain airlines have pet cargo holds (pressurized, heated, most quiet place on the plane) - British Airways is one of those airlines.
I have contacted Canadian Food Inspection Agency who will be endorsing my paperwork and they were able to provide me with all the questions regarding the documents.
Old Jan 15th 2022, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am glad you have made progress with it. Out of interest, what cat do you have that won't fit in the cabin?

Perhaps you could fly to Dublin with one in the hold if required and sail across to the mainland, or get a boat from Belfast. The reason I am suggesting this is because I know how expensive it is to fly pets over.
Old May 21st 2022, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Tate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marigoldfairy
Hi! We are also sending our two cats to the UK in the next month or two however we are in NZ so requirements probably different.

We are using a pet transport agency who have given all the forms of what we need. Basically Rabies vaccines at least 3 weeks prior, owner and a vet declaration completed with 30 days of export (we are doing this a week before). Then we drop them off at MPI for their examination and the pet transport agency take care of the rest.

I guess I’m saying it’s worth engaging a pet transport agency to take the pain away as moving is stressful enough.
Hi Marigoldfairy,

Can I enquire as to how the move went for your two cats? Also, are you able to name the pet transport agency you used and an indicative cost?
We are planning our move from NZ to UK, with our (one) cat.

Cheers! Tate
Old May 21st 2022, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

marigoldfairy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tate
Hi Marigoldfairy,

Can I enquire as to how the move went for your two cats? Also, are you able to name the pet transport agency you used and an indicative cost?
We are planning our move from NZ to UK, with our (one) cat.

Cheers! Tate
Hi Tate! We used Aeropets and our contact was Brenda. She was amazing. Cost for two cats was $4.2k for flights, cages, securing bookings, overnight care in Auckland. Also you’ll have rabies vaccinations and vet bill, and we also paid for a ‘valet’ car service to drop the pampered cats out to where we are staying as it’s approx 6 hour round trip from LHR and my husband was arriving the day before. Well worth the cost - £215. There was also the UK clearance fees, from memory approx £500. So in all I’d say just under $6k NZD for two.

something to keep in mind, and not sure if it’s changed now but we were dictated by the dates the cats could travel. We either took the a February date offered or the next was maybe April due to the availability at HARC. It was a completely stressful time as I also hadn’t got my spouse visa yet so we took a punt and my husband left without me and we were midway selling the house too. To be completely honest if we hadn’t used the pet transport people it would have been a nightmare!
Old May 21st 2022, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Tate is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much marigoldfairy, great information and so helpful.

Cheers! Tate
Old May 29th 2022, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Diane Rowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I am planning to move one cat from Toronto to Manchester. I know Air Transat has direct flights. I don’t know about other airlines.
I will wait hopefully for all the craziness to settle down.
Any advice? Thanks.
Old May 29th 2022, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diane Rowe
Hello I am planning to move one cat from Toronto to Manchester. I know Air Transat has direct flights. I don’t know about other airlines.
I will wait hopefully for all the craziness to settle down.
Any advice? Thanks.

Air Transat is the only non stop airline from Toronto to Manchester.
Old May 29th 2022, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. They did say that they take pets although I think they only take so many a flight. The kindest thing to do is get a direct flight. I imagine I have to contact CIFA ? first.
Old May 29th 2022, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. They did say that they take pets although I think they only take so many a flight. The kindest thing to do is get a direct flight. I imagine I have to contact CIFA ? first.
Hi Diane, I ended up arranging the cargo company, the paperwork and contacting clearance agent in England on my own. None of the pet relocation companies got back to me, maybe it was a busy time. I got a lot of guidance from a local CFIA official vet, so it would be good to give them a call. Please bare in mind that your cat will have to travel in cargo as per regulations in England no pets are allowed in the main cabin. This is a reason why some people travel to France first and then cross to England by land.

I would recommend that you contact Air Transat and ask them about travelling with pet. I have chosen British Airways as they have pet cargo that is temperature and pressure controlled, fairly quiet and dark. To secure space in the pet cargo I had to deal with a pet cargo company in Toronto (you will find their information on BA website). Some airlines will fly pets only at certain times of the year due to outside temperatures (too cold in winters, too hot in summer).

You will also need to arrange a duty clearance agent in England. I chose JCS Livestock.

if you have any other questions, let me know.

Old May 29th 2022, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Johanna. I was worried about the transfer of flights through London.
I will try Air Transat again though it will take me many hours on hold. I will also check with BA.
If I went via France I would still have to fly her from France to Manchester I don’t drive .
Diane
Old May 29th 2022, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most, if not all, airlines will only take a certain number of animals as cargo. It has already been mention that they are not allowed to travel in the cabin to the UK, unless it is a service animal.
Old May 30th 2022, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Johanna. I was worried about the transfer of flights through London.
I will try Air Transat again though it will take me many hours on hold. I will also check with BA.
If I went via France I would still have to fly her from France to Manchester I don’t drive .
Diane
Manchester is a border entry post so like heathrow and gatwick you can fly pets direct there for clearance if the airline is flying there direct. Otherwise your pet would be need to be customs cleared at first port of entry. Remember a few days pre departure a vet has to enter in the health certificate ( this contains the same data as a pet passport would, which are used in europe) a clinical exam that the animal is fit to fly/ travel. The airline, you or pet transport company usually send a scan of the pet paperwork 2 r 3 days before, this helps with pre clearance, and any errors or omissions can be rectified before the flight

if the uk animal reception centres have long waiting lists you can fly to France or other airports in northern europe like brussels or frankfurt
if you do a search for pet transports services uk animal couriers uk you will find companies that transport pets from airports right to your home, in some cases you can travel with them and your pet in the approved van.

Usually the transport carrier for a cat inside an air craft is smaller than the one they would travel in cargo and has it has to be under seat in front that can be tight. It depends on the cat's character. This would only apply if you travelled to Europe, as Pets have to enter UK by air in cargo hold.
The cargo hold is quiet and pets are put in special area , its all pressurised and climate controlled. There are pet regulations that govern this, IATA for pets. There is also IPATA , professional pet travel members.

The approved carriers for international travel and entering the UK by air in the hold are vari kennel/ sky kennel /petmate vari kennel - same thing just branded differently. Size one is ok for any cat. they have room to stand turn around in it and has water bowl clipped inside. You can put a nappy in side.
Start feeding your cat inside the kennel so they get used to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.