Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving money back to the UK

Moving money back to the UK

Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money back to the UK

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Many thanks.

Can I ask what type of US HSBC account you have? From what I've read and understand you need a premium account, which has a minimum deposit of $100k or a S200 fee to open the account. I could, not for the first time, be reading it all wrong.
What we did was sell the house and using the money opened a Premier Account. Once the accounts are established, big money transferred, new house purchased then the accounts can eventually be downgraded to Advance Checking. As it happened with us the exchange rate was so good in 2016 that we had lots of money left over so we have funded cash ISAs to the tune of £50,000 and have retained Premier status for now, treating that £50k as our emergency fund.

Our son did exactly the same thing last year although I don’t know if he is still Premier status.

Last edited by durham_lad; Feb 11th 2018 at 6:43 am.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
What we did was sell the house and using the money opened a Premier Account. Once the accounts are established, big money transferred, new house purchased then the accounts can eventually be downgraded to Advance Checking. As it happened with us the exchange rate was so good in 2016 that we had lots of money left over so we have funded cash ISAs to the tune of £50,000 and have retained Premier status for now, treating that £50k as our emergency fund.

Our son did exactly the same thing last year although I don’t know if he is still Premier status.
Thanks again. That was really helpful.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Just thought I would revisit this thread as we are closing in on our return to the uk - we used TORFX to move money from our house sale in New Zealand. I have to report they were excellent throughout the process and made sure we got a great rate (and the money appeared at the other end). Its a pretty stressful experience handing over all your money to someone on a phone so I thought some of you following this will find comfort in our experience.

b