Moving costs back to UK

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving costs back to UK

Originally Posted by PhillyD
I have been investigating this option too, from Vancouver to London. All of the moving companies I have spoken to have told me that they do not advise me to do it because apparently this makes the whole customs thing a nightmare, they say anything packed by yourself creates huge suspicion in the light of current world events, security etc. Also say it takes a lot longer to process ship and increases the cost. I think they are spinning me a yarn. Anyone out there actually done this recently and would like to share there success in "pack it yourself into a container, and ship it" experience.
Isn't the insurance situation also different if you pack yourself?

I know my shippers (in 2000, US to UK) told me that anything I packed wouldn't be covered by insurance (at least for breakage caused by bad packing), but anything they packed would be covered.

I was going to do some of the easy packing myself, just to expedite things (I would have to pay the same either way), so it was a no-brainer - I just put my feet up and told them to get on with it.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lived in Vancouver BC, now back in England, and loving being back.
PhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dunroving
Isn't the insurance situation also different if you pack yourself?

I know my shippers (in 2000, US to UK) told me that anything I packed wouldn't be covered by insurance (at least for breakage caused by bad packing), but anything they packed would be covered.

I was going to do some of the easy packing myself, just to expedite things (I would have to pay the same either way), so it was a no-brainer - I just put my feet up and told them to get on with it.
Yes you are right they have also said that to me. So now I have six quotes ranging from C$7000 - C$9000 plus insurance. I will have to try and play them off against each other and hope to reduce the cost. I must admit I like the sound of sitting back and letting them do it for me. I am beginning to feel like selling the lot and coming back with just my suitcases.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

..... I must admit I like the sound of sitting back and letting them do it for me.
God, yes. I was raised to be thrifty (no not miserly, thrifty - don't waste money), so it was pretty hard for me to shell out the extra for them to pack everything. But in the end, the money I paid to have others pack for me was well worth it for the peace of mind that it was done right, and because what would have been long evenings of work for me was done in the space of a few hours. I guess as I get older, I just don't have the energy for that kind of thing (plus my bad back and all..)

..... I am beginning to feel like selling the lot and coming back with just my suitcases.
Well, if you only have a couple of suitcases-worth of stuff you really care about, this may be worth it. Why pay $9,000 to ship $4,000-worth of stuff? For me though, I just have too much stuff I can't part with (my books, professional papers I've collected over the years, my classic Italian road bike, etc.) - and shipping the 15% of my belongings that are irreplaceable would probably cost 70% what it would cost to ship the whole lot via a complete container.

Every situation is different, but first thing I'd do is look at the cost of selling and replacing, compared to shipping.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lived in Vancouver BC, now back in England, and loving being back.
PhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant futurePhillyD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dunroving
God, yes. I was raised to be thrifty (no not miserly, thrifty - don't waste money), so it was pretty hard for me to shell out the extra for them to pack everything. But in the end, the money I paid to have others pack for me was well worth it for the peace of mind that it was done right, and because what would have been long evenings of work for me was done in the space of a few hours. I guess as I get older, I just don't have the energy for that kind of thing (plus my bad back and all..)

Well, if you only have a couple of suitcases-worth of stuff you really care about, this may be worth it. Why pay $9,000 to ship $4,000-worth of stuff? For me though, I just have too much stuff I can't part with (my books, professional papers I've collected over the years, my classic Italian road bike, etc.) - and shipping the 15% of my belongings that are irreplaceable would probably cost 70% what it would cost to ship the whole lot via a complete container.

Every situation is different, but first thing I'd do is look at the cost of selling and replacing, compared to shipping.

No you are right, I love my books too and all the artwork we have collected a lot of it came over from blighty in the first place, and my bike, although not a classic Italian one, it has served me faithfully. Thanks for the sharp kick to my common sense. I am not trying to be mean just had a bad day with all the movers, and am never sure if I am being taken for a ride. Still at the end of the day I want my things with me. Thanks, and I am so glad I found this site.