London!!!

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:35 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up London!!!

Hello alll!

Face here......... decided to explore the site a bit and found this section.

Just wanted to say that I have recently moved over to London from Dubai. Will be here for a while b4 I go back.

Tis a fantastic city. On the complete other end of the scale in terms of physical looks when compared to Dubai. Surprisingly, there are things here that are actually cheaper than in Dubai, but there are things that are much more expensive aswell. Fair balance I suppose.

Looking for that much talked about rain......... all I have got so far is that annoying mizzle...... hasnt rained properly even once in the past 5 weeks! Wots up with that? No snow either?

Thats my 2 pence. Peace.

Who else here is in London or is coming back to the Capital?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London!!!

http://www.londontown.com/

Handy site for you then
Gotta love the perpetual warmth that comes from the domed fog of pollution
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:57 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.londontown.com/

Handy site for you then
Gotta love the perpetual warmth that comes from the domed fog of pollution
lol...... thanks for that! U get around a bit aswell, dont u?

I have been running around the site and saw some interestin stuff in the take it outside section.... how come no1 pointed that out to me? anywho....... i think i have put an end to that shite that was being talked about on there. Hope so anyway!

pollution indeed!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:38 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take this the wrong way - are you two trying to get into the Guinness Book of Records? I mean, almost 15,000 posts between you in less than a year between the two of you.

- It took me nearly 2 and a half years just to get to 1,000!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
naaaa...i'm just a saddo with no job
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:09 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't take this the wrong way - are you two trying to get into the Guinness Book of Records? I mean, almost 15,000 posts between you in less than a year between the two of you.

hahahahahahaha. hello to u aswell!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: London!!!

London is where I was born and raised except I've been living in the US for nearly three years now.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying life in London.

Where are you living and working? The last place I lived before heading for the other side of the pond was South Hampstead, just off Finchley Road, close to London's biggest Sainsbury's (and an excellent Waitrose).

Are you using the Tube on a daily basis? Does Dubai have public transport that you can compare to the Tube?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

He's living in campus digs...imperial or kings weren't it? can't remember...
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:03 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
London is where I was born and raised except I've been living in the US for nearly three years now.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying life in London.

Where are you living and working? The last place I lived before heading for the other side of the pond was South Hampstead, just off Finchley Road, close to London's biggest Sainsbury's (and an excellent Waitrose).

Are you using the Tube on a daily basis? Does Dubai have public transport that you can compare to the Tube?

NC Penguin
Hello NC Penguin. Nice to meet u. Didnt know they had penguins in NC? heh heh

My geography skills when it comes to the UK are errrrrrrrrrr......... bad! lol
All I know is that I am in Londons SE ........ sandwiched between New Eltham and Eltham...... I study at the Uni of Greenwich and live on campus here. The nearest train station is at New Eltham.... a 15 minute walk and its about an 18 minute ride into London Bridge and add on another 10 mins for Charing Cross (but u already know that)

As for work, as this MSc program involves only 3 days of classes, I am looking for some part-time work........ have happily deposited my CV at my local Sainsburys and M&S. I have aleady been asked to do a phone interview with Sainsburys whenever I am ready, but I am holding out for Sainsburys. Will give them a few more days and then I will do the M&S interview.

I have used the tube, but obviously not on a daily basis. I think it is a fascinating mode of transport and is a real experience in itself. Made the mistake of taking the stairs to get to the tube platform at Covent Garden the other day. Both my m8 and myself were literally spinning after taking that 3000 step spiral staircase down to the platfrom! LOL

Dubai has nothing like the tube at the mo...... trains are expected to begin operations in 2009....... doubt it will be anything like the tube though. That is something else. All we have in Dubai are thousands of taxis, buses and "Abras" or water taxis which take u from one side of Dubai Creek to the other........ thats quite popular with ppl that have to cross over frequently...... I prefer my car though!

This is wot the Abras look like:

Guess u have trains in NC, eh?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Hello NC Penguin. Nice to meet u. Didnt know they had penguins in NC? heh heh

My geography skills when it comes to the UK are errrrrrrrrrr......... bad! lol
All I know is that I am in Londons SE ........ sandwiched between New Eltham and Eltham...... I study at the Uni of Greenwich and live on campus here. The nearest train station is at New Eltham.... a 15 minute walk and its about an 18 minute ride into London Bridge and add on another 10 mins for Charing Cross (but u already know that)
Lots of interesting places in Greenwich like the market (Saturdays only I think). Ate a very nice pub in Greenwich once.

As for work, as this MSc program involves only 3 days of classes, I am looking for some part-time work........ have happily deposited my CV at my local Sainsburys and M&S. I have aleady been asked to do a phone interview with Sainsburys whenever I am ready, but I am holding out for Sainsburys. Will give them a few more days and then I will do the M&S interview.
Not sure of the kind of employers in Greenwich. Somewhere close, preferably walking distance, would be ideal. I hope you get something at either Sainsburys or M&S.

I have used the tube, but obviously not on a daily basis. I think it is a fascinating mode of transport and is a real experience in itself. Made the mistake of taking the stairs to get to the tube platform at Covent Garden the other day. Both my m8 and myself were literally spinning after taking that 3000 step spiral staircase down to the platfrom! LOL
Hahaha. You've taken the stairs between street level and the platforms. If you want a long walk, try the escalators at Angel station in Islington or the ones at Surrey Quays (I think. It's one of the newer stations in Docklands)! If you want to see some strange platforms, check out the Jubilee line platforms at Westminster. They have "anti-suicide" platforms.

Dubai has nothing like the tube at the mo...... trains are expected to begin operations in 2009....... doubt it will be anything like the tube though. That is something else. All we have in Dubai are thousands of taxis, buses and "Abras" or water taxis which take u from one side of Dubai Creek to the other........ thats quite popular with ppl that have to cross over frequently...... I prefer my car though!
You don't want to be driving anywhere near central London (zones 1 & 2). It's madness and parking will be attrocious and expensive plus you'd probably have to pay the Congestion charge. It's more fun using public transport.

<<snip>>

Guess u have trains in NC, eh?
Only trains in NC are the Amtrak trains (long distance, like the mainline trains in the UK). Not ridden them yet. Have used local buses in my area though.

If you've got any specific questions about London, feel free to PM me.

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 3rd 2005 at 2:34 pm.