Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving back from USA to UK - any regrets?

moving back from USA to UK - any regrets?

Old Dec 31st 2022, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back from USA to UK - any regrets?

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
“To each their own” is correct! Everyone’s story is unique to themselves. I moved to NYC when I was 30 & lived there until returning to the UK in May for 32 years. I became a US citizen but naturally I remain English/British to my core, when people ask me what I think about America I tell them it’s a GREAT country but it’s not MY country. Any US expat on here please don’t take that as a knock on your country, I had a wonderful experience living there, but the heart wants what the heart wants I guess.

Personally, coming home when I did felt right & I have no regrets. My American wife loves it here although that could be the newness of everything but she’s enjoying & experiencing our British quirks, she even drinks tea now! That’s part of my story I would love to hear of other peoples experiences.
My American wife has never liked tea, until she discovered chai tea…no thanks! Give me a cup of good old regular tea any day. I think naturalizing as a US citizen for me was because I’ve always wanted to become an American citizen as much as wanting to fully secure my status to live in the US and enjoy the benefits of citizenship, which included government employment, and ended up being in law enforcement for almost 20 years. I took everything in the Oath of Allegiance to heart when I swore in and I do consider it my country, not the UK. And if the Red Coats return, I shall bear arms on behalf of the United States 😁
Old Dec 31st 2022, 2:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrian
My American wife has never liked tea, until she discovered chai tea…no thanks! Give me a cup of good old regular tea any day.
This is my experience too. When we first lived in England together, my wife made an honest effort to like British things, including regular tea with milk. She even tried to like my parents & siblings! Now, fifty years later, she’s abandoned those efforts and freely admits she much prefers living in the US.

As for me, first world problems - I could comfortably live in either. But I’d prefer to live in England. We maintain three homes, two US one English, and I recognize that transatlantic flights are getting harder to recover from, now I’m in my seventies.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the UK in July 2022. Its now Jan 2023 and I have decided to return back to the USA. I was just not happy in the UK.

I loved being close with all my family, but sadly, everyone has busy lives and we cant get together all the time.

My biggest issues were the commute into Canary Wharf 3 days a week on the tube. Hour in the morning, hour in the evening. I have been working from home, in the USA, for the last 10+ years. So I knew this would be struggle.

The weather has been another huge factor. Coming from AZ to the UK, has been change from one extreme to another. Frankly the endless days of rain and cloudy weather are just too much to take. Plus having to deal with the cold weather again was just too much!

The other major factor in my decision was simply I did not want to start life over again. Here in the UK, I would have to take on a mortgage, maintain that level of income, and keep working. Whereas in the USA, I own my house, I have no mortgage. I make way more income, pay less taxes and simply live such a better life. A life that I don't think I could ever replicate in the UK.

Of course I will miss my family and being so close to them. But they are just a flight away!
Old Jan 10th 2023, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EliDaBulldog
I moved to the UK in July 2022. Its now Jan 2023 and I have decided to return back to the USA. I was just not happy in the UK.

I loved being close with all my family, but sadly, everyone has busy lives and we cant get together all the time.

My biggest issues were the commute into Canary Wharf 3 days a week on the tube. Hour in the morning, hour in the evening. I have been working from home, in the USA, for the last 10+ years. So I knew this would be struggle.

The weather has been another huge factor. Coming from AZ to the UK, has been change from one extreme to another. Frankly the endless days of rain and cloudy weather are just too much to take. Plus having to deal with the cold weather again was just too much!

The other major factor in my decision was simply I did not want to start life over again. Here in the UK, I would have to take on a mortgage, maintain that level of income, and keep working. Whereas in the USA, I own my house, I have no mortgage. I make way more income, pay less taxes and simply live such a better life. A life that I don't think I could ever replicate in the UK.

Of course I will miss my family and being so close to them. But they are just a flight away!

Sorry to hear that it has not worked out as you planned and hoped.

All the best for to you for your move back.
Old Jan 10th 2023, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Coffee_Cake is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed the weather seems to always be a factor for British expats.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 12:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I loved being close with all my family, but sadly, everyone has busy lives and we cant get together all the time. ....
I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out, but you're only the latest person posting on BE to report that you can't just return to the UK and pick up where you left off with your friends and relatives, as during your absence they have moved on with their own lives.

Such is the curse of the expat, or at least one of the curses.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2023 at 12:37 am.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out, but you're only the latest person posting on BE to report that you can't just return to the UK and pick up where you left off with your friends and relatives, as during your absence they have moved on with their own lives.

I can see this being the case with friends and how you lose touch, however surely family would always be there for you.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffee_Cake
I can see this being the case with friends and how you lose touch, however surely family would always be there for you.
My experience would suggest otherwise. My sister, my only sibling, has been sour ever since I left for the US, in fact since she first met my wife (a US citizen). If I were to return to the UK, she is the last person I would want to spend any time with.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 10:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some friendships can be stronger than family ties. I've learnt that just because you are related it doesn't mean you are always there for each other. Paths diverge, people follow different paths, in my case the paths came back together, but it took time. Like all family relationships, friendships operate on many different levels.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience would suggest otherwise. My sister, my only sibling, has been sour ever since I left for the US, in fact since she first met my wife (a US citizen). If I were to return to the UK, she is the last person I would want to spend any time with.
Chortle, chortle! I feel the same about my sister-in-law. Can’t imagine spending time with her. I’d rather eat my toenails.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Chortle, chortle! I feel the same about my sister-in-law. Can’t imagine spending time with her. I’d rather eat my toenails.
You can still reach your toenails with your choppers?
I am mightily impressed.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 4:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Erms. Not for everyone. Friendships can have far stronger bonds than family ties.

Old Jan 13th 2023, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS
Erms. Not for everyone. Friendships can have far stronger bonds than family ties.
Friends you have some choice over. With family you just have to play the hand life deals you.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Friends you have some choice over. With family you just have to play the hand life deals you.
Yes, I've thought about this many times. If our family/relatives were not family, but rather strangers we met organically. Would we become friends or would we not get along? It really comes down to each individuals personality and traits. So there is power in that making friends is a choice we make and in contrast, family is a gamble.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute

I want to make it clear, my family have not moved on. They all are very much part of my life. They were all excited about me coming back and they are sad I'm leaving now. It's just that they all have busy lives, with work and kids and many other social aspects. I just did not enjoy the mundane routine life of going to work and being "forced" to work. In the US, I can easily afford to sit at home and not worry about a damn thing! I do not regret making the move to the UK. I'm glad I at least tried it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.