Reload this Page >

Moving Back To Uk. Where do we start

Moving Back To Uk. Where do we start

Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Brianglo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving Back To Uk. Where do we start

Hi

My girlfriend currently lives in Alberta and has now finally decided after 20 years to move back to England. She has two sons (24 and 21) and the eldest will move back with her. Both have British Passports.

We have had a brainstorm Session this evening and the following issues have come up.

1) Her eldest son has no NI number . Will he get one with no problems. He lived in England until the age of four and is a British citizen with leave to stay in Canada

2) Is there any agreement in place between Canada and the UK with regards state benefits etc.... My partner is currently out of work and receiving there equivilant of Housing Subsidy and Unemployment Benefit. She is likely to live with me , but due to ill health may not be able to work full time.

3) Are doctors in the UK obliged to take on new patients. My girlfriend has had several major surgeries and will require a doctor.

4) What do we need to do to inform the authorities once she has relocated. Is it just a case of telling the local authority that she now lives with me.

Sorry if these are obvious questions , but I wish to help her and her son as best I can.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:55 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back To Uk. Where do we start

Originally Posted by Brianglo
Hi

My girlfriend currently lives in Alberta and has now finally decided after 20 years to move back to England. She has two sons (24 and 21) and the eldest will move back with her. Both have British Passports.

We have had a brainstorm Session this evening and the following issues have come up.

1) Her eldest son has no NI number . Will he get one with no problems. He lived in England until the age of four and is a British citizen with leave to stay in Canada

2) Is there any agreement in place between Canada and the UK with regards state benefits etc.... My partner is currently out of work and receiving there equivilant of Housing Subsidy and Unemployment Benefit. She is likely to live with me , but due to ill health may not be able to work full time.

3) Are doctors in the UK obliged to take on new patients. My girlfriend has had several major surgeries and will require a doctor.

4) What do we need to do to inform the authorities once she has relocated. Is it just a case of telling the local authority that she now lives with me.

Sorry if these are obvious questions , but I wish to help her and her son as best I can.
Please clarify- esp. in regards to your question No.4! Are you living in the UK and your girlfriend and adult son plan to move in with you there? Or are you in Canada too?

Regarding your other questions:

No 1. No problem in getting a National Insurance No. (NINO). The best thing he can do is to turn up at an Employment Services Jobcentre to 'register for work'. He will be given forms to complete but as he will be able to show with his passport that he is a British citizen, they will apply for a NINO for him which he should get in the post within a couple of weeks. He has obviously never paid any National Insurance contributions so can't get Unemployment Benefit - but may be eligible for Income Support if he has a small amount only in savings (I think it has to be 3000 pounds or less before he can get IS). At the very least he should be able to get advice on job training schemes etc. (does he have any sort of trade or profession?).

IMPORTANT: Also do check on the 'search' section on this forum for "Swaddling" case....returning expats/British citizens now have to be treated as if they had never left the UK in the first place so they *are* entitled to govt. benefits.....best to print off the info found on this forum as many officers at the Jobcentres are not aware of the change in legislation.

No. 2. Sorry I don't know...I'm in the US so know nothing about reciprocity between the UK and Canada. Check the links in the 'sticky' at the top of this forum page.

3. Yes, as a British citizen a doctor should be able to take on your girlfriend (and son). Just look up the website for the NHS.....look up the useful links listed right at the top of this forum as it's listed there.

4. You need to clarify.....are you in the UK or Canada?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brianglo
Hi

Is the son aware that his permanent resident status in Canada will expire after a few years and (more importantly) that he will most likely not be able to return after that? Despite the fact he has grown up in Canada, he would have to qualify to migrate like anyone else.

Abandoning resident status in a country where he has lived virtually all his life is an incredibly serious step. He should strongly consider obtaining his Canadian citizenship before he thinks about leaving. He would not lose his British citizenship.

There's information on all of this at http://www.cic.gc.ca

Pretty much the same goes for your girlfriend if she hasn't taken Canadian citizenship, and her younger son unless he was born in Canada (in which case he's already Canadian).

And are you planning to move to the UK with her? If so, you'll need a visa if you're Canadian and don't also have British or some other EEA citizenship.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Dec 31st 2004 at 6:15 am.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Brianglo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is the son aware that his permanent resident status in Canada will expire after a few years and (more importantly) that he will most likely not be able to return after that? Despite the fact he has grown up in Canada, he would have to qualify to migrate like anyone else.

Abandoning resident status in a country where he has lived virtually all his life is an incredibly serious step. He should strongly consider obtaining his Canadian citizenship before he thinks about leaving. He would not lose his British citizenship.

There's information on all of this at http://www.cic.gc.ca

Pretty much the same goes for your girlfriend if she hasn't taken Canadian citizenship, and her younger son unless he was born in Canada (in which case he's already Canadian).

And are you planning to move to the UK with her? If so, you'll need a visa if you're Canadian and don't also have British or some other EEA citizenship.

Jeremy

Thanks Guys

I am actually alive and kicking in good old Kent so she will be moving in with me. Very intrested in the Income Support and swashbuckling thingy.