Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK. What so I need to consider?

Moving back to UK. What so I need to consider?

Old Jul 24th 2018, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Ragdogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK. What so I need to consider?

Hi I am looking into moving back to UK after living in Canada for 35+ years. I came over with my parents when I was 12 and I have always wanted to move back. I have a large family that live in UK and none in Canada so my plan was to retire back home after my parents were gone. My parents shocked me by stating they want to move back also.

What do i need to be aware of re legally if I were to move back home ? I plan on selling my house and buying a home in UK and I could get a job in the UK for the few years prior to retiring. My parents would live with me more than likely. This is my initial research into it. I would assume I would sell my home here and rent there for first little while until I found an area close to where I would be working and where I am originally from (Edinburgh). What are some things that I need to know?

Thanks,
Old Jul 24th 2018, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK. What so I need to consider?

To move back all you would need is a valid British passport. If you haven't become a Canadian citizen yet then that would be highly advisable to do so in order to leave that door open should you have a change of heart or circumstances.

Given the age at which you emigrated you may or may not have a National Insurance number (NINO). You will need one if you plan to work in the UK. Once you have moved back one of your first priorities would be to establish if you have one and, if not, apply for one.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

Another top priority will be to open a bank account. This can be difficult without a UK address and renting property can be difficult without a bank account. You may need to shop around for an arrangement that will initially allow you to do one without the other. Staying with family may be one way; another is a short term let or becoming a lodger.

If you have a Canadian driving licence then you can drive on that for up to a year before you need to exchange it for a British licence. You can do a straight swap however unless you can provide evidence that you passed your Canadian test in a car with a manual gearbox then you will be restricted to automatics. That may or may not be a concern for you. Manuals are far more common than automatics in the UK but it's not that difficult to buy a car, new or second hand, with an automatic gearbox. If you do want to drive manuals but you passed your test in an automatic then you should consider applying to take your UK driving test. I wouldn't recommend leaving this to the last minute - the UK test is markedly more difficult than any North American test. You will likely require several driving lessons to familiarise yourself with UK roads, driving on the left and the Highway Code and you should also factor in that you may not pass first time. Therefore starting on this sooner rather than later would be prudent.

Apart from those considerations there's nothing else that you would need to do differently compared to moving to another part of the country e.g. find accommodation, register on the electoral roll, register for council tax and sign up for utilities. It's also a good idea to register with your local GP. As a British citizen ordinarily resident in the UK you will have full access to NHS care free of charge from day one. Some GP surgeries will ask for proof of address to ensure you are in their catchment area, some take a more laissez faire approach. Either way it's relatively easy thing to tick off your checklist early.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Godzuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an side. If you have an HSBC Premier account you can open a UK account in Canada as I did....
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

HSBC want $100,000 to open the account, Premier that is.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
HSBC want $100,000 to open the account, Premier that is.
It is often possible, as we did and later our son did, to sell your house, open an HSBC Premier account with the proceeds, then open a UK HSBC account from abroad, and move and transfer your money to buy a house in the UK. You will eventually lose your Premier status once the balance in the UK HSBC account drops below £50,000 for an extended period, but you don't lose your bank accounts.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

People usually go wher there is work for them. Look at the best areas for work in your field and head there !
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats true I believe HSBC vary the conditions from country to country so the $100,000 is in CDN dollars.
They have a lower level account, forget the name which has a $20 a month fee and acts in the same way in that they will open a UK HSBC account in the town you request. They say it takes 3 weeks to set everything up.
They charge a lot on foreign exchange rates so best to use Transferwise and move the money accross when they open the account in the UK, it will save a lot in the rates and fees.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
Thats true I believe HSBC vary the conditions from country to country so the $100,000 is in CDN dollars.
They have a lower level account, forget the name which has a $20 a month fee and acts in the same way in that they will open a UK HSBC account in the town you request. They say it takes 3 weeks to set everything up.
They charge a lot on foreign exchange rates so best to use Transferwise and move the money accross when they open the account in the UK, it will save a lot in the rates and fees.
I agree.

Even though I have an HSBC account in both the US and the U.K. I use Transferwise to move money from my US HSBC to my UK HSBC account.