Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from USA

Moving back to UK from USA

Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Dan Duce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from USA

Me and My wife want to move to Brighton in a years time after spending 5 years in the US.

My Questions to any one who can help are:

1. What's the best way to transfer savings from the US to the UK?
will we get taxed? Is there a limit ? should we do it in instalments, say five grand a time?

2. We have alot of stuff to ship back, any advise?

3. Any advise on taking our Cat's with us?

4. How much should we have in savings to buy our first home (a two Bedroom flat) in Brighton?

5. After being away from the UK for 5 years, we have no credit history in the UK. Any advice on preparing ourselves finacialy.

6. I am a freelance artist. Will I have trouble getting a mortgage?
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:26 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from USA

Originally Posted by Dan Duce
Me and My wife want to move to Brighton in a years time after spending 5 years in the US.

will we get taxed? Is there a limit ? should we do it in instalments, say five grand a time?

4. How much should we have in savings to buy our first home (a two Bedroom flat) in Brighton?

5. After being away from the UK for 5 years, we have no credit history in the UK. Any advice on preparing ourselves finacialy.

Hi Dan.
I cant help you much on the financial questions as I am trying to find all that out as well.
But on bringing your cats, you need to get them stared on the pet passport program. Takes about 7 months total. they need to be microchipped, then rabies jab, then blood tested to get started. It's well worth it so they wont have to go into quarantine. You can put in a search for Defra to get all the details. Also a search in Quaff will be helpful.
There have been a few threads on shipping, and you only need to put shipping in the search on this site to get loads of advice.
Good luck to you.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Check with your Bank but I believe you get a better exchane rate if you transfer more than $25,000
Old Nov 28th 2004, 8:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Can't give you much advice I'm afraid, except to say that Brighton is now one if the most expensive places to live in the UK. I left last year to live in Oz, and I do miss some parts of Brightion, though I have to say if it was Brighton you left 5 years ago you will find a lot of change.
AS for house prices.....a rough guide ...... I lived in a one-bed flat in a converted house in the Ditchling Road area (30 mins walk from the sea)........when I left it was worth £150,000. (wish I'd owned it!!!) Prices have gone up horrendously over the last few years, and first time buyers are now vitrtually out of the market.

http://fish4.co.uk/tag/ro256/the_arg...sale/index.jsp

Good luck, hope your plans go OK!
Old Nov 28th 2004, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Dan Duce is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx very much for the info! Better get started with the Cats.

Regards,
Dan.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Dan, If you have a bank account in the UK you can just get a transfer between your US and UK banks. I don't believe your US savings will be taxed in the UK. However the killer will be the current exchange rate which will give you a very poor return for your dollars...
Good luck with your move.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 7:48 am
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dan Duce

Hi Dan,
As far as having no credit history, we were in the same position after coming back to the UK after having lived abroad for 10 yrs. Basically if you have been away for more than 3 yrs you no longer are on the credit data bases and no details are available. We were not able to get credit of any kind for nearly 3 yrs. Only after we were on the electoral role for this amount of time and we had permanent jobs for this time and had a stable address again for this period of time were we able to apply for a mortgage. I believe it is a bit easier now, but it was very frustrating for us and the small amount of money we brought back was soon used up as we had to buy everything for cash.
However as soon as we got a mortgage we could have had what we wanted, old story takes credit to get credit. Mind you it wasn't just the big things we couldn't even get a rental agreement for a phone! They use all the same credit referees.
Not sure about the other issues although the cats will have to go through 6 months quarantine, so remember to budget for that.
Hope you make the right decisions, as we are now in the process of packing up and leaving the UK once again!
Good luck.
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a lot of talk in previous threads about this.... We did a bank transfer in the end, but a lot of people use other means. Here's one link others have used on here.
https://www.xe.com/fx/
As far as tax... No I don't think so. We transfered our money and did not have to pay any tax..

Choose about 3 shipping agents and get quotes from them all.. Play one off against the other to get a better deal. We had quotes from LA (USA) to UK from $4500 to $10,000!!! I think a lot of people chose ABCWheaton or worldwide movers...

You need this site for all the details. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Can't help you with this one, but bearing in mind you may not get a mortgage, it could mean you have to pay up front. There may be others here that have good advise or experience on this one.

5. After being away from the UK for 5 years, we have no credit history in the UK. Any advice on preparing ourselves financialy.

Just make sure you have enough money to live on for a while. Credit will be very difficult to get... If you want to rent for a while it is possible to get an international credit rating done but they will still require evidence of employment in the UK for onging bills, etc. We paid 6mth rent in advance and are only now having our credit checked so we can pay monthly on an new lease... Basically it's going to be cash or go without. OR>>> OMG what interest rate???!!!!^^&***!!!

Bottom line... YES!.... You have to prove you can afford it...Nuff said.

Oh this may help with other queries you may have also...It's a link to links with info about moving back to UK... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267933
Good Luck and happy reading...

Last edited by honeymommy; Dec 1st 2004 at 9:55 am. Reason: screwed up the bold bits.. LOL
Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:45 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

(Not sure about the other issues although the cats will have to go through 6 months quarantine, so remember to budget for that.)

No quarantine with the pet passport program.
On average you will spend about 50 dollars on the microchip, 25 on a rabies jab, 150 for the blood test, then 24 to48 hours before the flight you need to get your cat treated for parasites, maybe another 20 dollars or so. After that you just need to fly on approved route with approved airline. Virgin is one, there are a few others. Your cat will fly on cargo rate direct to UK, or you could fly into France where your cat can fly on excess baggage rate. That is cheaper, but then you do have to transport cat to UK.
This is the information and the fees that I am experiencing anyway. But it is a far better deal than quarantine.