Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

Old Dec 1st 2004, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

ipswich-kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

I'm now starting to undertake gathering info for my move back to the UK from Atlanta Georgia. I plan to move in about a year. I was born on an RAF base to American parents & have dual citizenship with both countries. I lucked upon this website & I guess I'm just trying to find a starting point for getting this plan into motion. I need all sorts of info...

First off is this feasible? Or am I setting myself up for a let down in saome way. In other words... Does my DUAL citizenship keep from truelly entering into a new life in the UK in some way?

1. My plan is to live in either the Ipswich or London areas. I'll be moving alone (perhaps with my dog).
a. What can I expect to pay for a small apartment in these two areas. (I'm not looking for anything too fancy.)
b. What obstacles will I face if I try to bring my pet.

2. I'm currently a technical school student here in the US and by this time next year I should be atleast an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) Basic & Intermediate level; if not a full Paramedic.
a. Will my diploma/degree transfer to another school or even be valid with UK ambulance services?
b. ...if not will I need to seek further education there in the UK?

3. I've sent for information from the UKs NHS.
a. Is this the best route or are there other organizations to consider for employment as an EMT or Paramedic
b. Is there a high demand for this profession in the UK?

4. I'm not against military service (I attempted to join the army here in the US but was not considered because of ASTHMA). My father (retired US Air Force) remembered there being some form of mandatory service for youth in the UK.
a. At age 28 now & probably age 29 when I move back; will I be required to serve?
b. If so does my medical condition bar me? (I have mild asthma & have never been hsopitalized for it.)
c. If I could serve is the also a reserve option?

5. Financially I understand I'll be starting from scratch.
a. How long will it take to establish CREDIT?
b. Will my very GOOD US credit have any effect on getting UK credit?
c. How will this effect getting an apartment, phone, car, ect...?
d. Are there any restrictions to maintaining my US banking & credit accounts? (I've not yet contacted any of my US creditors yet of course)

...I'll have many more questions. These are just what have come to the forefront so far.

Thanks

excuse spelling please
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Arrow Re: Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

almost forgot...

Born 1976 at RAF Lakenheath near Ispwich...I also still have my origional British birth cirtificate.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

No military service in blighty...they stopped that years ago.

If you have a Bristish passport, your all set, as for bringing your dog, you can get a pet passport...search the forum for more info on it.

As for credit, a US history won't mean anything in the UK

Place to live, London, it's big, anything more specific? as it'll vary wildly, and London's expensive, I've a mate renting a room by Tower bridge overlooking the Thames, he's paying £310 a week for rent, but he's subletting the lounge out as the second bedroom is more of a closet

Can't help with the NHS, but put a post in the Nursing section and I'm sure someone will be able to.

Welcome to the site btw
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for banking etc, can't help, might be easier opening accounts etc if you have a job....as for mobile phone, can get a pay as you go, and they don't tend to require credit checks as much.

Oh, you'll still have to declare earnings to the IRS and pay taxes on them if over the threshold, don't have to pay double taxes, but only top up taxes if not paying much in UK etc...but still need to declare them.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ipswich-kid
I'm now starting to undertake gathering info for my move back to the UK from Atlanta Georgia. I plan to move in about a year. I was born on an RAF base to American parents & have dual citizenship with both countries. I lucked upon this website & I guess I'm just trying to find a starting point for getting this plan into motion. I need all sorts of info...

First off is this feasible? Or am I setting myself up for a let down in saome way. In other words... Does my DUAL citizenship keep from truelly entering into a new life in the UK in some way?
With a British passport you can freely enter the UK to live and work, and you'll have the same civil rights as any other Briton. The right to vote etc.

However, it doesn't *automatically* mean you'll be on a par with those already in the UK as far as recognition of US qualifications, credit history etc goes. That's something you'll just have to deal with - it would be no different if you were moving in the other direction.

Look at the 'Useful UK Links' thread at the top of this forum.

4. I'm not against military service (I attempted to join the army here in the US but was not considered because of ASTHMA). My father (retired US Air Force) remembered there being some form of mandatory service for youth in the UK.
Not since 1957.

c. If I could serve is the also a reserve option?
Territorial Army:
http://www.ta.mod.uk/

The TA says regarding eligibility:

Q. Do I have to be British to join?
A. You need to have been a citizen of the UK, a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland at all times since birth and should normally have lived in the UK for at least five years, preferably immediately prior to any application to join you make.

I think there are separate reserve sections for the Royal Navy and RAF:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk
http://www.raf.mod.uk

d. Are there any restrictions to maintaining my US banking & credit accounts? (I've not yet contacted any of my US creditors yet of course)
It probably depends on the bank. However it's usually a good idea to maintain at least some US bank and credit card accounts.

Jeremy
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

thankyou for the above answers...

I pay about $1000.00/month here in The Metro Atlanta (5min from downtown) area for a 3 bedroom rented house. My 1 bedroom apartment before this house was about $615.00 /month; this is about what I could manage there. Can't be specific about what part of London I would be moving to until I knew what hospital or ambulance/fire house I would be working out of.

What is the current exchange rate $ to Pound?

Last edited by ipswich-kid; Dec 2nd 2004 at 1:59 am. Reason: content
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

About £1=$1.89

->£310=$585

->$1000=£530
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ipswich....we are moving from Atlanta to the UK in 2005 as well.

If you are going to take your dog, start researching the Pet Passport now. From the time you start the procedure until you are able to ship the pet, it's going to take 7 months. (It's not cheap either when you consider all the tests, microchipping, shipping, etc.)

Also, you need to know that you cannot fly out of Atlanta to the UK with your pet. It is not an "approved" route. The closest airport to Atlanta that you can fly your pet out of is Orlando. I recommend Virgin Airlines (that comes from others here and elsewhere that tell me they are much better than BA). You must accompany your pet on the same flight, the flights are only on certain days of the week and they won't fly your pet in June, July, August or September due to the heat. The hold is temperature controlled, but the tarmac and holding areas for you pet may not be, thus the restrictions.

A word of advice................London is a heck of alot more expensive to live in than Atlanta is............I would not live in London ......too crowded, too busy and too expensive.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Scout
A word of advice................London is a heck of alot more expensive to live in than Atlanta is............I would not live in London ......too crowded, too busy and too expensive.
Aye, that's very true, nothing wrong with living out on the suburbs and commuting in....as I was saying how much my mates paying for his flat, and it's small, and that's weekly rent...ouch...that's almost as much for this apartment a month
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 7:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou for the above answers...

I pay about $1000.00/month here in The Metro Atlanta (5min from downtown) area for a 3 bedroom rented house. My 1 bedroom apartment before this house was about $615.00 /month; this is about what I could manage there. Can't be specific about what part of London I would be moving to until I knew what hospital or ambulance/fire house I would be working out of.

London is an expensive place to live. My US spouse and I were paying approx. $1500 a month (before utilities) for a one bedroom apt. in South Hampstead, NW6 (Zone 2) prior to moving to the US in mid-2002.

You certainly won't get the equivalent of any kind of house in London for $1000 a month in London.

London was my hometown. My parents still live in London (SW London).

However, if you live in Atlanta now, London sounds like a good place to relocate because you're accustomed to city life.

PM me if you have specific questions about living in London.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Back to the UK...dual US & UK citizen

I'll need to obtain a drivers licence in the UK to work as an ambulance driver. Though if I choose to live in London I do not plan on buying a car for awhile. From my research I've discovered I'll need what are refered to as "C1 & D1" class licences on top of the standard licence. Will I need to re-test once I'm there or will my US/Georgia licence allow me to get a British drivers licence without testing? I'm planning on learning things like street signs & such before coming over. Will any speeding violations on my Georgia licence carry over to the UK? This is a concern for me in applying to the NHS for a job.

Last edited by ipswich-kid; Dec 2nd 2004 at 8:40 pm. Reason: content
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think you can "transfer" a license to the UK one, but if you have any special requirements, you'll need to take a test...and the test will probably be a manual, well it you take a test in an automatic, you won't be allowed to drive a manual.
Sot of the test is going up to, still pretty easy...but compared to the tests in the US, a lot harder...have a theory test, a percetion/danger test and the practical....
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I think you can "transfer" a license to the UK one, but if you have any special requirements, you'll need to take a test...and the test will probably be a manual, well it you take a test in an automatic, you won't be allowed to drive a manual.
Sot of the test is going up to, still pretty easy...but compared to the tests in the US, a lot harder...have a theory test, a percetion/danger test and the practical....
You can NOT transfer a US license to a UK one. You will have to retest. They will give you a yr grace period to drive on US license, although insurance becomes much more expensive- almost double to triple what a UK license would cost. If you live in London you won't need a car, in fact it will almost be a waste of money.We had one for a while and it is much easier to use the tube/buses. Plus London has a congestion charge for cars of £5 p/day in the central zone and parking is a nightmare. Parking spaces and covered garage spaces sell for £50k ($94k) just down the road from me to give you an idea!

For your budget, you may be able to rent a room in a shared flat or house. You will definitely need to be in at least Zone 2 to afford it, possibly south of the river.We live in Hampstead (Zone 2) and studios here and in most Zone 1 locations rent for a min of £975 p/month ($1700). One beds avg. £1200 p/month ($2200). For a better idea of prices and locations look at www.findaproperty.com it's a great site and where we have found all our flats.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jess5377
You can NOT transfer a US license to a UK one. You will have to retest. ...
Fair enough, can't do it then, just thought because a mate transfered his US license, but then that was over ten years ago
Driving in central London is a waste of time and money though, more stress than it's worth.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 2:03 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I'll need to obtain a drivers licence in the UK to work as an ambulance driver. Though if I choose to live in London I do not plan on buying a car for awhile. From my research I've discovered I'll need what are refered to as "C1 & D1" class licences on top of the standard licence. Will I need to re-test once I'm there or will my US/Georgia licence allow me to get a British drivers licence without testing? I'm planning on learning things like street signs & such before coming over. Will any speeding violations on my Georgia licence carry over to the UK? This is a concern for me in applying to the NHS for a job.

Search for the UK equivalent of the DMV. It's called DVLC. I'm sure they have a website.

You'll need to study the equivalent of the Drivers Handbook too. Warning- the UK driving test is considerably more difficult than an American driving test.

I think there are only two parts: written and pratical (behind the wheel).

I can't give you that much more info 'cos as a Londoner I didn't actually ever need to learn to drive (used public transport mostly).

For the four years my USC spouse and I lived in London, we never even hired a rental car. Simply wasn't necessary (though we only ever lived in Zone 2, NW London).

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.