Reload this Page >

Moving back to uk - move pension

Moving back to uk - move pension

Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Jac2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to uk - move pension

Hello

My husband and I had never worked in the UK and after 20+ years of working, we have pensions here.

There are some capital gain but I am not sure how much. We think of selling all and transfer the money back to UK to reinvest in mutual fund, if that is easier.

Is this the right approach?

I note there is a ISA and SIPP where investment is tax free? Given there is a yearly limit on those, we won't be able to put everything in. What's the best way for the rest? Should we setup with a brokerage or a bank ?

Jac
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

cator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving back to uk - move pension

I would have thought you'd be better off keeping your money in Euro at least at the start. After filling out your ISA entitlements you can leave your investments in France and pay any capital gains in the UK. You seem to be comfortable with french investments so why change them? You will be considered as a non resident in France so no social charges, and your french bank will continue sending you the relevant documents for your UK tax returns on capital gains.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 6:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to uk - move pension

Originally Posted by cator
I would have thought you'd be better off keeping your money in Euro at least at the start. After filling out your ISA entitlements you can leave your investments in France and pay any capital gains in the UK. You seem to be comfortable with french investments so why change them? You will be considered as a non resident in France so no social charges, and your french bank will continue sending you the relevant documents for your UK tax returns on capital gains.
Have I missed something, why do you think the OP is in France? I can’t see where they’ve mentioned the country they’re in but on their profile it says they’re in Hong Kong?
Old Sep 21st 2020, 9:40 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have I missed something, why do you think the OP is in France? I can’t see where they’ve mentioned the country they’re in but on their profile it says they’re in Hong Kong?
I was also wondering the same thing
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

cator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry! Thought I was on the France forum.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Jac2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

no worry, I am in Hong Kong , Asia, if that matters
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a PM.