British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Moving back to uk - move pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/moving-back-uk-move-pension-934893/)

Jac2020 Sep 18th 2020 5:49 am

Moving back to uk - move pension

Hello

My husband and I had never worked in the UK and after 20+ years of working, we have pensions here.

There are some capital gain but I am not sure how much. We think of selling all and transfer the money back to UK to reinvest in mutual fund, if that is easier.

Is this the right approach?

I note there is a ISA and SIPP where investment is tax free? Given there is a yearly limit on those, we won't be able to put everything in. What's the best way for the rest? Should we setup with a brokerage or a bank ?

Jac

cator Sep 18th 2020 6:15 am

Re: Moving back to uk - move pension

I would have thought you'd be better off keeping your money in Euro at least at the start. After filling out your ISA entitlements you can leave your investments in France and pay any capital gains in the UK. You seem to be comfortable with french investments so why change them? You will be considered as a non resident in France so no social charges, and your french bank will continue sending you the relevant documents for your UK tax returns on capital gains.

christmasoompa Sep 18th 2020 6:22 am

Originally Posted by cator (Post 12911491)
I would have thought you'd be better off keeping your money in Euro at least at the start. After filling out your ISA entitlements you can leave your investments in France and pay any capital gains in the UK. You seem to be comfortable with french investments so why change them? You will be considered as a non resident in France so no social charges, and your french bank will continue sending you the relevant documents for your UK tax returns on capital gains.

Have I missed something, why do you think the OP is in France? I can’t see where they’ve mentioned the country they’re in but on their profile it says they’re in Hong Kong?

TopNik Sep 21st 2020 9:40 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12911493)
Have I missed something, why do you think the OP is in France? I can’t see where they’ve mentioned the country they’re in but on their profile it says they’re in Hong Kong?

I was also wondering the same thing :unsure:

cator Sep 21st 2020 11:32 am

Sorry! Thought I was on the France forum.

Jac2020 Sep 21st 2020 11:43 am

no worry, I am in Hong Kong , Asia, if that matters

ianandhelena Sep 22nd 2020 8:11 am

I sent you a PM.