Reload this Page >

Moving back to Uk with dog. Need transport advice please

Moving back to Uk with dog. Need transport advice please

Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

gdowle is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moving back to Uk with dog. Need transport advice please

Hello,

My wife and i are wanting to move back to the UK after neary 5 years in Canada. We have a British Bulldog and they are in the high risk catagory for flying. So we found a cruise line from New york to Southampton that accepts dogs on the DEFRA scheme but they are full till next year and after that they are no longer taking animals.

Does any one know of an alternative cruise or similar so we can avoid flying our dog? Anywhere on the east cost to anywhere in the UK will do. All i can find is the same cruise (Cunard QM2).
Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving back to Uk with dog. Need transport advise please

I did get a quote from a Toronto based pet carrier. They would take him but said its a risk. We don't want to fly him though if he might not make it. Cruising off would be a good finish to our stay too.

My wife is going to try and put us on a waiting list tomorrow for Mays departure. Ill keep you posted.

Old Aug 26th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Uk with dog. Need transport advise please

I hope it works out for you. I believe air france does take them as long as your vet approves it, but I understand not wanting to take the risk of flying.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Uk with dog. Need transport advice please

Originally Posted by gdowle
Hello,

My wife and i are wanting to move back to the UK after neary 5 years in Canada. We have a British Bulldog and they are in the high risk catagory for flying. So we found a cruise line from New york to Southampton that accepts dogs on the DEFRA scheme but they are full till next year and after that they are no longer taking animals.

Does any one know of an alternative cruise or similar so we can avoid flying our dog? Anywhere on the east cost to anywhere in the UK will do. All i can find is the same cruise (Cunard QM2).
Not ideal, but have you got anyone that could look after your dog for you until a space becomes available? I know some members have managed to get their dogs on the QM2 at short notice due to a cancellation.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I was terrified to fly our weim back to the UK from Canada,as she had been abused in a crate at a young age,and went crazy when she was put in it. (i know this is a different situation) . I really got myself worked up about this and felt sick every time i thought about it. However we did get over the issues and we ran her miles before boarding,she was so tired i think she just slept all the way home.She came running out wagging her tail at the other end........what a relief i felt !!!!
I had a friend who had an old boxer,who was high risk too. She travelled good . But they were so worried about her too............they did the same and just excersised her until she just wanted to sleep........right up until the last minute.I hope you get a cancellation
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your positive replies. We have booked ourselves on the reserve list for May. We are in 10th place so dont seem that likely. Im not sure if all those people on the waiting list can just drop everything like we can last minute, so fingers crossed.