Coming home to the UK

Old Aug 24th 2012, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

lilbrit34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming home to the UK

Hi,
I am coming back to the NE of England next week and I have a quick question about Credit Reports.
My credit rating is not good and I'm worried that if I apply for a credit card once back in the UK, the credit report will show my poor credit history here. (I'm in Canada). I know that the UK uses Equifax for it's credit reports, the same company that Canada uses.
What I would like to know is if a credit check is run on me in the UK, will it show my credit history in Canada?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

PegsC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming home to the UK

Don't think the credit history is worldwide. You can order your own credit through Equifax in the UK so you will be able to see if it shows the credit history in Canada
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we found even with excellent credit rating overseas and a previous excellent position in UK, when we came back getting a credit card was harder than scaling Mount Everest.

Applications ask for your last 5 years of addresses, so you need to enter your overseas address AND you have to be on the electoral roll before you will be accepted.

We could only get a card after about 4 months- once we had a place and registered to vote.

Credit ratings don't cross borders but I guess they check something when asking for an overseas address.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Credit ratings are by country. I would recommend maybe getting a copy of your credit report before you leave for the UK to take it with you. However credit companies may not even want to look at it and you will have to build your credit back up in the UK.
Whereabouts in the NorthEast are you going to?? I may be moving back to West Yorkshire later this year.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

lilbrit34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Credit ratings are by country. I would recommend maybe getting a copy of your credit report before you leave for the UK to take it with you. However credit companies may not even want to look at it and you will have to build your credit back up in the UK.
Whereabouts in the NorthEast are you going to?? I may be moving back to West Yorkshire later this year.
lgabriel73:I'm heading back to the Newcastle area.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:07 am
Banned

eveleene is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest you take a copy of your credit report with you before leaving to the UK. I believe that your credit history will be shown in either of the countries. You have the option of issuing a new credit card, as there are numerous lenders offering you good credit despite your poor credit history. However, you need to ensure that you are able to rebuild a healthy credit history and pay less interest in future.