Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with children born abroad

Moving back to UK with children born abroad

Old Apr 9th 2016, 10:41 am
Just Joined

LisaJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK with children born abroad

We are thinking of moving back to the UK with 2 children who were born in the UAE. Does anyone know how/when I get them 'registered' in the UK? They have British passports but have never lived in the UK and therefore there is no record of either of them anywhere. I have no idea how to get them on to school lists, registered with doctors etc. Can anyone advise please?
Old Apr 9th 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK with children born abroad

For doctors - find one that will accept you first as many are full up! They will arrange an NHS number for each of you - unless you have one from a previous UK residence, in which case they will be able to find it.
Schools - once you have an address visit the local schools , they will help you to find a place. How old are the children?
NI number - once you are registered etc I think they get allocated an NI number once they hit, I think 16.
It's not really any different than if you just moved locations in the UK as they are British citizens.
i'm sure others will be along soon with more detailed and up to date info.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

LisaJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah thanks, that makes sense.... I assumed they'd need to be registered somewhere first and then thought the rest would default. They'll be 6 and 4 so youngest would be starting school for first time and eldest would start year 2. This has been a big help, thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 2:22 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back last year and nothing was a problem since she was a UK citizen.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 10:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can register their births with the FCO which would give them British consular birth certificates which might make life easier for you when registering them for schools and the like but there's no requirement to do so.