Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK from South Africa

Returning to the UK from South Africa

Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:21 am
Just Joined

silver49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK from South Africa

My wife and I, both of us are over 60, are planning to move back to the UK as soon as our house is sold in Cape Town.
We both want to work either part-time or full time but want to understand what benefits we are entitled to.
I have checked on many web sites, phoned different government depts but nobody can say for certain what we would be entitled to. All I get is the run around to phone this dept. or that dept.
Can anyone help that has been in the same position as us?
Are there any companies in the UK that can assist me?
Kind regards,

Martin
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK from South Africa

Originally Posted by silver49
My wife and I, both of us are over 60, are planning to move back to the UK as soon as our house is sold in Cape Town.
We both want to work either part-time or full time but want to understand what benefits we are entitled to.
I have checked on many web sites, phoned different government depts but nobody can say for certain what we would be entitled to. All I get is the run around to phone this dept. or that dept.
Kind regards,

Martin
Welcome to the forum. Folk are going to need more information before giving you useful advice. Are you UK citizens? When did you leave the Uk? Did you work there before leaving? Have either of you been making voluntary NI contributions etc.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You need a "Benefits Check" from a competent Welfare Rights Adviser. I consult Age Concern. Try a google. It is not a "company" but an organisation that exists to help older people to help themselves.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 1:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

snapshot for the OP

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/

Last edited by not2old; Mar 31st 2016 at 1:58 pm. Reason: added a link
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

We can't tell you what you might be eligible for - maybe something, maybe nothing.

I you are destitute when arriving back in the UK (does not sound like it as you have a home to sell) you might get something.

You'll need to visit the job centres. citizens advice bureau and social services offices to find out.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
We can't tell you what you might be eligible for - maybe something, maybe nothing.

I you are destitute when arriving back in the UK (does not sound like it as you have a home to sell) you might get something.

You'll need to visit the job centres. citizens advice bureau and social services offices to find out.
Unfortunately with the exchange rate we won't have very much to take back
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Welcome to the forum. Folk are going to need more information before giving you useful advice. Are you UK citizens? When did you leave the Uk? Did you work there before leaving? Have either of you been making voluntary NI contributions etc.
I left the UK in 1970 while my wife left in 1983. We both worked there and do receive a social pension from the UK every month. Neither of us have paid voluntary contributions. We are both British citizens.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK in 1970 while my wife left in 1983. We both worked there and do receive a social pension from the UK every month. Neither of us have paid voluntary contributions. We are both British citizens.
Then, as I understand it, you'll both have NHS coverage from day one, but would not have access to any other so-called "benefits" for three months.

I hate it when people use the word entitlement in this context,
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know.
The word 'entitlement' in regard to social help and welfare has been rather high-jacked the past decade or so & it has come to mean something other than often intended . Something negative.

Welcome to BE silver49. I was born in the year of the wood horse so we're not far out in vintage.

It may help members if you would feel able to say what sort of assistance you were thinking of to help with your repatriation and getting you both on your feet with a roof over your heads and working.

Or perhaps what your concerns are for making this huge move.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Kind regards,

Martin
If you are moving back with the proceeds of a house sale and don't have dependent children with you, then I would be pretty sure you won't be eligible for any benefits. It doesn't take a lot to preclude one from benefits, maybe £16k or so? Plan to stand on your own two feet when you get back.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 4:57 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If you are already receiving the UK state pension, then I think I'm right in saying that in South Africa you do not get the annual increase. But you will in the UK, so your UK state pension will become more valuable to you.

You will be entitled to NHS care from the day you arrive, but you will have to wait for entitlement to any means tested benefits.

The most important benefit for you will be Pension Credit which currently guarantees an income of £230.85 per week for a couple. In other words, your income will be made up to this amount, if it is below that level.

You can have up to £10,000 in savings without your entitlement to Pension Credit being affected (both the £10,000 and the income from the £10,000 will be ignored). Above that level your pension credit will be reduced by £1 a week for every £500 in savings.

Pension credit is not the only means tested benefit you may be able to claim after three months. You may also be able to get housing benefit and council tax support. If you have care needs due to disability you may also qualify for attendance allowance.

Being of pension age, you will be entitled to the freedom pass, giving free bus use, and free NHS prescriptions and eye checks.

The Age UK site will be of great help to you. I also compiled a list of links for over fifties which you will find useful.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

A&E NHS emergency treatment is available on day one.

For other treatment, don't you have to register with a GP by showing proof of a UK residential address eg utility bill ?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:33 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It's up to the GP to check. Most don't seem to. Mine didn't when I registered two years ago. We had someone on the forum recently, who said he'd had difficulty, but that's the first I can remember saying that. Either way, proof of residence need not wait for a utility bill, a copy of a tenancy agreement, or proof of property ownership would suffice.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Then, as I understand it, you'll both have NHS coverage from day one, but would not have access to any other so-called "benefits" for three months.

I hate it when people use the word entitlement in this context,
If you don't like the word entitlement then please don't assist me!

Would you prefer I use the word benefits???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.