Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK after 30 years in Australia

Moving back to the UK after 30 years in Australia

Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:29 am
Just Joined

steveandpaula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK after 30 years in Australia

Hi

Ive lived in Australia since I was 15 after emigrating with my parents. My partner and I want to return to the UK in 2011 and wonder what things we really need to know before we go. My partner is an Australian citizen. I have not taken out Australian citizenship.

We have decided on Newcastle upon Tyne/ Northumberland as the place to settle. We arent sure on how long we will stay or if we ever want to return to Australia?

We would like as much advice from members on every imaginable topic.

So please, if you think you have any advice on things you believe may be useful to us, go right ahead.

Cheers

Paula
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK after 30 years in Australia

Firstly I think you need to get your Oz citizenship.Why?Because if you don't,you will (I think)only have a residents return visa,which will restrict you if you ever want to return to Australia to live.(I've just renewed mine,easy to do but it will only give me another 5 years)Are you returning to Newcastle for any specific reason?Family?Work?I personally think its a great place but can be very cold.Do you have jobs lined up?As you might have read in some other threads,unemployment is here obviously but worse in some area's than others.I don't know anyone out of work myself but other people living in other area's would.I also spent 30 years in Australia,and been living back in the UK for just over 10 years now.I do have a fantastic life here,but it depends where you live I think.I live in a small village,in an area with very low crime,no chavs()and everyone I know is very happy.Good luck and I'm sure there will be more posters on here that will offer advice.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandpaula
My partner is an Australian citizen. I have not taken out Australian citizenship.
Get your Australian citizenship first. You get to keep your British one as well (in case you were worried about that).

You can download the forms and do a postal application or do an online application. Forms to download/do online application here: www.citizenship.gov.au

We've just done it. Took less than a week to get the appointment for the test and the test date was two weeks later .

Unemployment is very high in the Newcastle-upon-Tyne area - but it obvsiouly depends a bit on the type of jobs you are after. But the job situation is something you should investigate before deciding on an area.

And as been said above: It's bitterly cold up there.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ive lived in Australia since I was 15 after emigrating with my parents. My partner and I want to return to the UK in 2011 and wonder what things we really need to know before we go. My partner is an Australian citizen. I have not taken out Australian citizenship.

We have decided on Newcastle upon Tyne/ Northumberland as the place to settle. We arent sure on how long we will stay or if we ever want to return to Australia?

So please, if you think you have any advice on things you believe may be useful to us, go right ahead.

Cheers

Paula
Come back from an Australian winter to a UK summer, not the other way around.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

well I've come back after 21yrs in Oz, but had been back to UK on a very regular basis before that. I don't think the time you've been away makes much difference at all really. Systems have changed and there are new regulations/hoops to jump through, but then the system in Oz hasn't exactly remained stagnant either.

My wife is an Oz citizen but not from Oz or UK so my main regard is for her happiness/settling. Plenty of new faces in the UK and languages, just the same as Oz really.

Main thing IMO is get some bank accounts happening as so many things flow on from having these.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Your first priority should be to get Australian citizenship before you even think of going anywhere else.

If your partner needs a visa, look at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:34 pm

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future

Hi

Cheers

Paula
I lived in Australia for more than 30 years and came back to the UK last year.
If your partner needs a spouse visa make sure you allow plenty of time to get one as they can take up to 12 weeks to come through. Also, if you haven't got a bank account in the UK best to set one up before you go. We used HSBC and got credit and debit cards with the account.

Can't help you with Newcastle Upon Tyne, except that it's pretty cold up there. We're down in Cornwall and love it here, gorgeous scenery and mild weather.

Adelia
Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I will take out my citizenship beforehand that was always on the cards.

My partners family is originally from the UK and is entitled to work there I believe but Im not sure of all the details? If we wanted to settle permanantly would he be eligible to stay based on being my partner or spouse?

As I have never lived in the UK as an adult and have never paid taxes etc will I/we be entitled to NHS and any other type of benefits if the need arose like normal UK citizens?

Any one who has worked in Oz? What did you do in regards to your super? We are worried about it dwindling away if we no longer contribute from this end?

Job wise, where do people recommend as "high" employment areas? London isnt really where we want to be but are open to all suggestions and advice?

Ive got millions of questions so Ill be posting alot more as the queries arise.

Thanks again........
Old Feb 28th 2010, 5:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

I will take out my citizenship beforehand that was always on the cards.

My partners family is originally from the UK and is entitled to work there I believe but Im not sure of all the details? If we wanted to settle permanantly would he be eligible to stay based on being my partner or spouse?
His family is from the UK? Was his mother or father born in Britain? When was he born? Depending on the answers he may be entitled to a British passport or a Right of Abode stamp.

As I have never lived in the UK as an adult and have never paid taxes etc will I/we be entitled to NHS and any other type of benefits if the need arose like normal UK citizens?
Yes, once you establish residence in the UK. The main exception is tertiary education - you need citizenship/settlement + 3 years residence.

Any one who has worked in Oz? What did you do in regards to your super? We are worried about it dwindling away if we no longer contribute from this end?
You will have to manage this. You cannot withdraw your superannuation if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:21 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

You will have to manage this. You cannot withdraw your superannuation if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
Unless you are over 55 and "retire."
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Abigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving back to the UK after 30 years in Australia

Hi guys

My husband and I are currently living in New Zealand, but prior to this we are geordies from Newcastle upon Tyne. Just thought I would let you know its a lovely place to live, the city is beautiful and cosmopolitan with lots of interesting sites including modern and old steeped with history sites to see include the Milenium bridge, Sage, Tyne bridge, among others, visit to the Hadrians wall. It is clean, people are extremely friendly, it has many different sides to it. We have the gorgeuos Northumberland coast dotted with castles and miles of sand dunes. There is beautiful woodland, great shopping, enough sport to satisfy sport enthusiastis our football team is very popular, although don't tend to win much. Newcastle has lots of events e.g the evolution festival on the Newcastle key side. There is the metro centre Europes biggest indoor shopping mall with free parking and all the big department stores.

There are lots of beauty spots within easy reach by car or rail such as Hexham, Durham, York, Bewick, Tyne dale and wear dale and the gorgeous lake districts are all close. To be quite honest its a great place to live, and in our opinion no other place like it, but what makes it for us is the friendly attitude of the people, and there willingness to help folk.

Housing tends to be cheaper than South of England, nice areas are Whickham, Jesmond, Gosforth, Lowfell, like other areas there are places to avoid. It is cold, but thats what comes with living back in the UK after living in OZ.

My husband and I are returning to the Northeast in June, we love NZ but cant settle miss our family and friends too much, the dream for us was better than the reality.
good luck
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Abigayle

I was born in Newcastle although Ive lived all over the world. My parents had a home in Morpeth and I attended boarding school in Alnwick.

I love the area although cant say I know it too well and have never lived there as an adult. Its where I have some family and so does Steve so thats why we chose it to return.

Im very anxious about the move but excited too!!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
His family is from the UK? Was his mother or father born in Britain? When was he born? Depending on the answers he may be entitled to a British passport or a Right of Abode stamp.

Yes, once you establish residence in the UK. The main exception is tertiary education - you need citizenship/settlement + 3 years residence.

Can you not take it out of Aus if you are not a Citizen...I was told that you could (I am an Aus Citizen) and place it wherever you like in the country you are to resid in....this info by the Aus Tax Office
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Abigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really niceAbigayle is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving back to the UK after 30 years in Australia

Hi Abigayle

I was born in Newcastle although Ive lived all over the world. My parents had a home in Morpeth and I attended boarding school in Alnwick.

I love the area although cant say I know it too well and have never lived there as an adult. Its where I have some family and so does Steve so thats why we chose it to return.

Im very anxious about the move but excited too!!
Hi Paula/Steve

Morpeth and Alnwick are great places and very rural, it will be good for you to have some family close by to help you make the adjustment to a new country and new life, the best of luck to you if we can help further just let us know.

Abigayle
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Can you not take it out of Aus if you are not a Citizen...I was told that you could (I am an Aus Citizen) and place it wherever you like in the country you are to resid in....this info by the Aus Tax Office
If you're PR or Cit then you can't but those on a temp (457 I think?) can as far as I understand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.