moving Back to UK

Old Nov 28th 2022, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

La Crosse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving Back to UK

Hi, I have been on this site for a long time reading about moving back.I have lived in USA for many years too long really I have one son that lives in US that will stay here and a lot of family that live in England.I stress out just reading all the hoops people jump through to return, I have a house to sell a small Dog that I cannot leave behind,looking at flats to rent, a Bank account to open,prices to rent is a bit over whelming I am thinking August or September 2023 looking for help to calm me down on this move.I am retired and will change my S.S. to UK pension has anyone cancelled medicare how does that work.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving Back to UK

Although it seems very complicated it isn't too bad. We did it in 2016, our son did it in 2017, and our daughter did it last week, so is still in the process of buying and selling a house etc, but banks accounts, phones etc have all been sorted already.

You can't switch your SS for your UK pension (OAP) but are entitled to receive both if you have enough NI contributions for your OAP. We receive both, although I haven't started my SS just yet. My wife has her SS paid directly into our bank in England and the exchange rate can't be beaten. The money pops into our account like clockwork every month.

Feel free to ask questions and spend some time getting ready for the move.

Are you a US or UK citizen or both?
Old Nov 28th 2022, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Although it seems very complicated it isn't too bad. We did it in 2016, our son did it in 2017, and our daughter did it last week, so is still in the process of buying and selling a house etc, but banks accounts, phones etc have all been sorted already.

You can't switch your SS for your UK pension (OAP) but are entitled to receive both if you have enough NI contributions for your OAP. We receive both, although I haven't started my SS just yet. My wife has her SS paid directly into our bank in England and the exchange rate can't be beaten. The money pops into our account like clockwork every month.

Feel free to ask questions and spend some time getting ready for the move.

Are you a US or UK citizen or both?
Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am both US and UK Citizen,I get S.S. and a very small UK pension every month, what about Medicare can you cancel that as they take money every month out of S.S.I was going call Uk pension and ask them that question
Old Nov 28th 2022, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Crosse
Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I am both US and UK Citizen,I get S.S. and a very small UK pension every month, what about Medicare can you cancel that as they take money every month out of S.S.I was going call Uk pension and ask them that question
Yes you can cancel Medicare..... call the Medicare 1-800 number.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

The hardest step if the first one, making the decision to move; after this, it's a series of actions. These can seem overwhelming, but break it down into individual steps, write these down with approximate timing, and research how to accomplish each one if necessary. It won't feel so daunting then, and most steps will be fairly straight forward, e.g. a pet relocation company will relocate the dog for you (there are probably recommended companies on this forum a search will locate, otherwise you can ask for recommendations; same for the other steps). Listen to durham lad's advice on the US social security and moving your US house sale proceeds to the UK, as he has "been there, done that".
Old Nov 28th 2022, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

great thanks
Old Nov 28th 2022, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tdrinker
The hardest step if the first one, making the decision to move; after this, it's a series of actions. These can seem overwhelming, but break it down into individual steps, write these down with approximate timing, and research how to accomplish each one if necessary. It won't feel so daunting then, and most steps will be fairly straight forward, e.g. a pet relocation company will relocate the dog for you (there are probably recommended companies on this forum a search will locate, otherwise you can ask for recommendations; same for the other steps). Listen to durham lad's advice on the US social security and moving your US house sale proceeds to the UK, as he has "been there, done that".
Have you moved back from US to Uk yourself
Old Nov 29th 2022, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Not from US, hence other posters are better placed to advise on US social security, etc.

As a US/UK citizen, you will need to file annual US tax returns (unless you give up US citizenship, which is not something to do lightly, if at all), but again others are more knowledgeable on the mechanics of doing this.

You mention rental prices in the UK being high. There is a shortage of rental properties vs. demand, and prices are continuing to increase. You may need to book temporary accommodation (Airbnb or similar) initially on your return to give you a base to find a longer term rental, and be prepared for this step to be more difficult than you may expect. But don't let that deter you if you're set on returning.
Old Nov 29th 2022, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I will ask my account that one,I have sisters and brother so will stay with one of them for a month ,so I can look around for a flat to rent,its a huge thing to sell everything let go and start again. I have been back many times so I know what is going on with housing prices,and lack of rental.