Going to UK - Can I Work

Old Nov 23rd 2022, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going to UK - Can I Work

Hi everyone

Dual citizen, but I only have an Aussie passport. Can I live and work in the UK?

Thanks

Barry
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 11:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to UK - Can I Work

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
Hi everyone

Dual citizen, but I only have an Aussie passport. Can I live and work in the UK?

Thanks

Barry
Not having a UK passport doesn't stop you being a UK citizen. You have the same rights as before, and can work at whatever job you can get.
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thanks

Barry

Yes you can live and work in the UK but having a UK passport makes things a lot easier if you haven't worked here before. My daughter is going through this now having moved here a week ago and having a UK passport is extremely useful. She was born here but moved to the USA with us 35 years ago when she was only age 7.

1. On entry there was no question as to why she was entering the country. If one only has a foreign passport you will be asked the reason for your visit and when you state it is to live and work then you will need proof that you have a right to live and work here.

2. Registering with the NHS required proof she was entitled to have it free of charge so her UK passport plus a utility bill to prove residence was required. (we added her to our utility bills just before she arrived)

3. She needs a National Insurance insurance for work and has applied online which required a copy of her UK passport plus a photo of her holding her passport. When our son did this in 2017 it also required an in-person interview at a JobCentre+ with those documents in hand but we're hopeful it won't be the case this time. You don't need to have a NI number to start work here but one is needed so that payroll taxes can be paid, however the prospective employer will require proof of the right to work regardless.

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 23rd 2022 at 12:18 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You should definitely get your UK passport.
The fact YOU say you are a dual citizen will not convince the border official if you are asked at the airport "how long you are staying in the UK" and you say " I'm back to live permanently and get work "
My friend's son did that when he entered with his US passport and he got pulled over into secondary and it was not until he presented his UK passport that he was allowed to enter. Had he not had his passport I'm not sure what would have happened.
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 4:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
.... 1. On entry there was no question as to why she was entering the country. If one only has a foreign passport you will be asked the reason for your visit and when you state it is to live and work then you will need proof that you have a right to live and work here. ....
If you have a one-way ticket you will probably have difficulty even getting on the plane without a British passport (or a visa, which obviously doesn't apply if you're a British citizen).
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

... presume your British passport has expired....?
Old Nov 23rd 2022, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you will live in rented accommodation, you will need to pass a right to rent check, and a UK passport will be facilitate this.
Old Nov 27th 2022, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
... presume your British passport has expired....?
Yes mate
Old Nov 27th 2022, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for all your replies.

Would a birth certificate not be good enough to prove British citizenship?
Old Nov 28th 2022, 12:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Would a birth certificate not be good enough to prove British citizenship?
It should be, but you'll still need to check what the airline wants to see if you're on a one-way ticket.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You need a passport to travel ........
Old Nov 28th 2022, 12:38 am

You need a passport to travel ........
See post #1, he is a dual citizen with an Aussie passport, but is apparently trying to cheap-out on getting a new British passport.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
See post #1, he is a dual citizen with an Aussie passport, but is apparently trying to cheap-out on getting a new British passport.
Oh yes.... forgot that .... still does not help him much though .... depending on when he was born, having a UK birth certificate does not automatically convey British citizenship.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 1:05 am

.... having a UK birth certificate does not automatically convey British citizenship.
True!
Old Nov 30th 2022, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

A photo id is frequently required for proving identity, i.e. passport, driving licence, and the person you're dealing with won't have any discretion to accept a document not on the list of acceptable documents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.