Moving back to the UK

Old Sep 30th 2020, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

steveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nice
Default Moving back to the UK

Hi everyone,
Im just starting the process of moving back home to the UK after 20 years. I was wondering if it was worth getting professional help with the administrative, money/ pension side of things and if so Any recommendations? Its almost overwhelming the amount of 'experts" out there.
Thanks for your time
Steve
Old Sep 30th 2020, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK

So you are looking to move pensions, money, investments to the UK? Need an accountant/tax expert?
Perhaps a bit more info could give folks an idea of who/what to recommend.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 12:47 am
Just Joined

steveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nicesteveb64 is just really nice

Hi
I suppose all of the above. I'm mainly struggling with the pensions and tax rules My wife is a US citizen but it seems the visa process is actually not horribly complicated
I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations
Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:02 am
Just Joined

AngloFox is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, thing is most of these "experts" want to sell you something, which is not necessarily what you are looking for. The advice they might give comes secondary to the selling.

I think you can probably find much of the advice you need online for free and it would be the same if not better than that which you would get from people trying to sell you something. Unfortunately even people like accountants and lawyers are also in the selling business, so their usefulness is limited.

Going the other way, ie emigrating, I've found their advice is also not even reliable and they've told me things which were not correct or were just their own opinions. I can often do better sourcing the info for free myself. One advantage you also have is that it's all in your native language and for your native country.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveb64
Hi
I suppose all of the above. I'm mainly struggling with the pensions and tax rules My wife is a US citizen but it seems the visa process is actually not horribly complicated
I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations
Thanks
It need not be too difficult and you may not need a tax advisor at all. We have 2 private US pensions, 2 UK pensions, each have an IRA will soon both be getting OAP and SS. The US pensions are paid into our US bank which we kept on after we moved to England, and the IRA account management has also been easy to manage from England. Just need some pre-planning well before you move to be sure the institutions you have your money in support overseas customers.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feed back so far