Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Switching from US high school to UK system

Switching from US high school to UK system

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Eagleperson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Switching from US high school to UK system

We are about to move to the UK from the USA and place our 14 year old into year 10 so he can start GCSEs. Does anyone have advice on how hard this is, to make the switch? We are late making the decision and he will miss the first 7 weeks or so.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from US high school to UK system

Difficult time for a child to transition. Good luck !
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagleperson View Post
We are about to move to the UK from the USA and place our 14 year old into year 10 so he can start GCSEs. Does anyone have advice on how hard this is, to make the switch? We are late making the decision and he will miss the first 7 weeks or so.
That is tricky. Does the school you're looking at definitely start GCSE's in Year 10? It's just that a lot of schools start in Year 9, so he'd have missed over a year of the course which would be a huge amount to catch up on.

I know there have been quite a few other threads on the same subject, if you have a search I think there was one fairly recently which may have some useful info in.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Eagleperson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I’ll look for the threads again, did not see them on here with a quick search yesterday.