Moving back to the UK??

Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

lily74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK??

I think I already know the answer to this, but just wanted to check with you knowledgeable people...
I just received my CPR card last month. But now the job situation is not turning out so well for my husband, and we are thinking he may have more oppurtunities if we were to move to London.
My question is...would my residency here be 'cancelled' in effect if I left the country? Or is there any way to keep this for a year or 2 and then return here?

Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK??

Originally Posted by lily74
I think I already know the answer to this, but just wanted to check with you knowledgeable people...
I just received my CPR card last month. But now the job situation is not turning out so well for my husband, and we are thinking he may have more oppurtunities if we were to move to London.
My question is...would my residency here be 'cancelled' in effect if I left the country? Or is there any way to keep this for a year or 2 and then return here?

Thanks
If it's just for a year or two, you can file for a re-entry permit - form I-131
Old Jan 21st 2007, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK??

Also, if its just for a year or two, provided you come back to the US for regular visits (within 6 months of each other), you will most likely get away with it, without re-entry permit. You might not, and they could potentially take it off you, but to my knowledge you won't be penalised, you'll just have to apply for a new card when you decide to return, as you would if you turned in the GC. So its worth a try.

However, being as you have a conditional card, if you are not back in the country proper by the time you file for your I-751, you will likely end up losing it then, as you will obviously have no proof that you have been living in the US for that period.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 21st 2007 at 1:31 am.