Moving Back to Scotland

Old Dec 20th 2021, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Juniper68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Back to Scotland

Hi Everyone

After umming and ahhing for a very long time thought I'd put this out there for anyone else feeling the same and see what happens.

Been living in Perth Western Australia for 25 years, originally from Lanarkshire, I have no family here they are all. Married an Aussie and have 2 kids - daughter 17 and son 13, both kids have British and Australian passports. My kids have both been to the UK several times on longish holidays and know my family and old friends reasonably well. Since I got divorced around 6 years ago the pull of home has got so much stronger and the time is coming that I need to get on with it or shut up talking about it and stay here.

I have sole custody of my kids, daughter is going into year 12 in Feb next year and after a few tough years at high school will be doing a bridging course to allow her to get into uni here, she wants to do nursing, She has never been keen on going to live in Scotland anytime we've talked about it but did mention that she would consider going there for uni. So I called Napier uni but was told as the Nursing course is funded by the NHS you have to be a resident for 3 years to apply, this is same for that course for all of UK. She does not know what else she wants to do or really even how the bridging course would work once its finished to transfer to a UK uni. My son is 13 and no issues at all in going back there and if we went back he would have 3 - 4 years at school there so if he decided to go to a Scottish uni the fees would be covered..

My turmoil is, do I let her finish year 12 here then after she starts uni in 2023 leave her here by herself while my son and I go back to Scotland? I feel so torn by this as I've has my kids fulltime with sole custody since I got divorced, we have no family here so she would literally be by herself. She had a tough time last couple of years with some mental health issue (way better now) and had to change school at start of year 10. I feel awful thinking of leaving her here but I also feel that if I dont go in the next 12 - 18 months I may never go and I will feel resentful for the rest of my days.

My family and friends in Scotland and friends here in Oz think I'm nuts to even consider this. However, we may have a great lifestyle here but I miss my family and old friends, my parents are aging and the feeling of wanting to go home just isn't going away.

I would appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and give me their 5 cents worth.
Old Dec 21st 2021, 1:27 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to Scotland

I can’t offer you any advice. Similar boat with my eldest and for similar reasons feel like it’s next year or stay forever….

I still haven’t decided what to do, and we do have to decide soon. I’m so worried about doing the wrong thing for them.
Old Dec 21st 2021, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to Scotland

Originally Posted by Juniper68
Hi Everyone

After umming and ahhing for a very long time thought I'd put this out there for anyone else feeling the same and see what happens.

Been living in Perth Western Australia for 25 years, originally from Lanarkshire, I have no family here they are all. Married an Aussie and have 2 kids - daughter 17 and son 13, both kids have British and Australian passports. My kids have both been to the UK several times on longish holidays and know my family and old friends reasonably well. Since I got divorced around 6 years ago the pull of home has got so much stronger and the time is coming that I need to get on with it or shut up talking about it and stay here.

I have sole custody of my kids, daughter is going into year 12 in Feb next year and after a few tough years at high school will be doing a bridging course to allow her to get into uni here, she wants to do nursing, She has never been keen on going to live in Scotland anytime we've talked about it but did mention that she would consider going there for uni. So I called Napier uni but was told as the Nursing course is funded by the NHS you have to be a resident for 3 years to apply, this is same for that course for all of UK. She does not know what else she wants to do or really even how the bridging course would work once its finished to transfer to a UK uni. My son is 13 and no issues at all in going back there and if we went back he would have 3 - 4 years at school there so if he decided to go to a Scottish uni the fees would be covered..

My turmoil is, do I let her finish year 12 here then after she starts uni in 2023 leave her here by herself while my son and I go back to Scotland? I feel so torn by this as I've has my kids fulltime with sole custody since I got divorced, we have no family here so she would literally be by herself. She had a tough time last couple of years with some mental health issue (way better now) and had to change school at start of year 10. I feel awful thinking of leaving her here but I also feel that if I dont go in the next 12 - 18 months I may never go and I will feel resentful for the rest of my days.

My family and friends in Scotland and friends here in Oz think I'm nuts to even consider this. However, we may have a great lifestyle here but I miss my family and old friends, my parents are aging and the feeling of wanting to go home just isn't going away.

I would appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and give me their 5 cents worth.
We had similar worries as you and the same from family and friends back home in England, our eldest had just finished year 12 with 5 Tee’s and was attending college for another 2 Tee’s one in sport and I forget the others (old age lol) he worked two jobs….one dreamy doughnuts (I know lol) and the other lates at farmer jacks he was that determined to return to the UK and go to uni and pay for his fee’s the other son was finishing year 11 and was going to take Tee’s in year 12 but he wanted to return to start 6th form in England I was really really worried about this as leaving then would of meant he did not have anything to show for being in some top grades after all those years in education but he wanted to return rather than wait and go straight to uni so we sent our eldest sons quals off to UCAS and they said he had 8 Higher Scottish grades (a bit higher than A levels) we applied from Perth WA for uni in England and he was accepted for the following year on “home status” We returned home our youngest chose a sixth form (we took all his year 10 & 11 school work) he studied for two years got his grades for Uni and is now a sports and geography teacher our eldest is a surveyor, they love being here and I am glad we did return as although we do not have a swimming pool, a huge a home , 5 bedrooms and another used as a study 3.5 bathrooms (rooms we did not even use except for visitor’s lol) in a lovely area we did not really feel at home and boy oh boy have we had some fab experiences whilst we have been back home. One thing I might ask… do you think you might feel different if you would have someone special in your life?….sorry if you already do but I know from experience how life seems that bit lonelier when you are on your own. All the best for Christmas and new year