Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving back with nothing :(

moving back with nothing :(

Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

zoe and richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Question moving back with nothing :(

hi all i am looking for some advice , i am currently in the process of trying to arrange us getting back to the UK , we have two baby boys 1yr & 2yr our 1 yr old has some disabilitys due to a bleed on the brain at 2 months old , they can not treat him properly here so we have to return to the UK , he is currently under a doctor at great ormond street , we are looking at moving back to wales,Cardiff as its where my husband is from. im trying to find out what we will be entitled to when we arrive, how long we will need to wait for benifits etc, my husband will be looking for work straight away ,but i would like to know if things don't go to his plan , what we are entitled to ???
im sure this has probably been posted about before, sorry .

thanks
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving back with nothing :(

I'm really sorry to hear about your child.

I'm unsure about how the benefit system works, but here's a link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fits/index.htm
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoe and richard
hi all i am looking for some advice , i am currently in the process of trying to arrange us getting back to the UK , we have two baby boys 1yr & 2yr our 1 yr old has some disabilitys due to a bleed on the brain at 2 months old , they can not treat him properly here so we have to return to the UK , he is currently under a doctor at great ormond street , we are looking at moving back to wales,Cardiff as its where my husband is from. im trying to find out what we will be entitled to when we arrive, how long we will need to wait for benifits etc, my husband will be looking for work straight away ,but i would like to know if things don't go to his plan , what we are entitled to ???
im sure this has probably been posted about before, sorry .

thanks
Where are you currently living. In earlier post you said you were looking to move to Canada but were, then, living in Cyprus?

Are you both UK citizens? How long have you been out of the UK?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

zoe and richard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Where are you currently living. In earlier post you said you were looking to move to Canada but were, then, living in Cyprus?

Are you both UK citizens? How long have you been out of the UK?
yeh still in Cyprus unfortunately! we were looking at Canada in 2010 as my husband has family there and we only had my eldest son at that point , but after everything that has happened with my youngest the UK is where i feel is best for my family (a much protested subject with my husband )

we are both British born, with British passports , i have been out of the country since 2004 & my husband since 2007 ,however my husband only registered with immigration here last November, after securing a full time job.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You will be assessed for benefits once you are permanently resident back in the UK.

What you are eligible for will depend on your circumstances.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you''ll be entitled to child benefit:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/index.htm

There are so many types of benefit, it's difficult to know what you'll be entitled to without the advice of a professional. This link shows you the different types of benefit and how to apply etc. When you apply an advisor will contact you to discuss your situation and then you'll have a better idea of what you are entitled to.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...its/DG_4016266
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the other posters, here's a calculator where you can plug in your details and see what you might be eligible for - you could play about with the details of what your circumstances are likely to be once you move back.

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx