Moving back or not?

Old Mar 4th 2019, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Moving back or not?

we moved to Canada for my job over 8 years ago and love it here but, having been laid off twice in 2 years, prospects are looking bleaker now and we’re considering a move back to the UK (or to Australia). Mini-me will be 10 in the fall so moving home now would give her a year in junior school before moving up to secondary (timing is good). Grandparents are in UK so would be great to spend more time with them and mini is definitely very conscious of not seeing them a lot and would like to spend more time with them, plus they are getting older. Work-wise there seem to be plenty of opportunities in my field. My concerns are

1) when I moved back to the UK previously (pre children and husband), I had horrible reverse culture shock and mourned my the country I had previously lived in for many years.I’m worried I’ll get this again nd regret returning rather than moving on.
2) Brexit. I’ve spoken with a good number of senior management in my field so feel that I have a reasonable handle on the realities of Brexit from a business perspective but my impression (from afar) is that the country is depressed
3) rose tinted glasses. I know nothing will be the same as it was before but, it’s familiar all the same

not sure if my ramblings make sense to anyone but I’d welcome your thoughts. Thank you
Old Mar 4th 2019, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back or not?

Hi,

I'm not sure what field you work in and I'm in London thinking about Canada so take this with a pinch of salt, but my job is specifically to do with Brexit and it is a cause for concern. I think it's probably a bit of a stretch to say the country is depressed at this stage but the Brexit advent calendar is rapidly shortening, clearly we still don't have a deal, and extending the transition (vote next week) is unlikely to help and may in fact push us closer to No dDal. Whatever your politics No Deal will be an unmitigated disaster, and I generally think things will be rocky for a good couple of years. I would say it's probably not the best time to be making a transatlantic move. Do you have citizenship? At least by September for schools etc we might have a bit more of an idea about what lies ahead but then again we've been saying that for 2 years and here we are. This all being said if you were to do it, it probably would all work out fine, but things are looking increasingly wobbly over here.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you love your life in Canada don't move, there is a heck of a lot to be said about living somewhere you love. If work is a problem then move somewhere where you know work will be better. They're really are no certainties whichever country you may choose that you will have a job for life, I think those days may have gone. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

You're settled here (Canada) and IMHO just consider Canada as your permanent home and don't think too much on the UK. Regular visits to the parents will be a good thing but moving back permanently IMHO you'll lose a lot and gain little.

IMHO
Old Mar 4th 2019, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies. I would love to stay here but have to go where the work isn’t it’s not looking as though the opportunities are here for me in Canada at this time (and yes, we are looking at opportunities across Canada, not just where I live now). I am a British (and Canadian) citizen so no worries about that side of things.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's a bummer with the work side of things. As a citizen you can get jobs in the USA with a NAFTA visa - I dunno if you've thought about that side - maybe you have.

And now with Brexit who knows what Brits need to work in the EU now - it might cut off a huge easy jobs market for Brits.

Wish you all the best.

I also am having to return myself and I am going to lose out a lot and gain little. We love it here - wide open, good services and minimal racism - going to miss all this.
Old Mar 5th 2019, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks rawsalad . I knew about the USA but not looking to move south of the border. Good luck with your move, bitterweet as it may be.