Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back and need shipping company advice

Moving back and need shipping company advice

Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:46 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future
Default Moving back and need shipping company advice

Hi,
I will be moving back to Essex with my kids over the Easter Holidays, while my husband stays in the US and continues to sell our stuff and look for jobs and await his sponsonship period. I'm looking to get some quotes for shipping our items back from Washington (Pacific Coast to the UK). I contacted Mayflower and they ship by weight and would build a special container for us, which I think is a bit excessive. Plus I'm packing most of the stuff myself. We are not bringing a household full of furniture back with us, in fact I found those tough boxes at Home Depot and they seem to be stronger than the rubber maid boxes. Most of the stuff is memorabilia, and a few pieces of small furniture, nothing really excessive. When we were going to move to GA the moving company were going to charge by volume, but I'm not sure if that still applies to international moving. Any recommendations would be great, we would prefer door to door only because my husband will also be dealing with shipping our two dogs - Aussie Shepherd mixes as well. Though I'll be dealing with the two kids, who are 7 and 11 (but going on 19...if you know what i mean) and looking for a short term lease, finding work and looking after my Dad who has started to show signs of early dementia. So I dont feel too guilty about leaving him with what he has to do in the US
Thanks for your help
Alexis