Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about returning -- Essex or Gloucestershire?

Thinking about returning -- Essex or Gloucestershire?

Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Emma1420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about returning -- Essex or Gloucestershire?

So I'm considering returnin to the UK after living in the US for 20 years (I moved as a teenager, so while I have a NIN, for example, I have no work experience in the UK, no driving license, etc.). The majority of my family is spread out around the south of England. My parents and grandmother live in Gloucestershire, I have a couple step-siblings who live in London, and then my brother and hiw wife lives in Essex.

In the past anytime I've even considered going back I always assumed I would go back to Gloucestershire as that is where my parents were and that is where I grew up for the most part. However, now I'm thinking that perhaps Essex might have more decent job opportunities?

Does anyone have any advice? I've visited both places, and I know that Essex has more expensive housing in general, but I don't know much about the job opportunities, and my family isn't much help.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about returning -- Essex or Gloucestershire?

What type of work will you be looking for? What work experience have you had in the US?

Unemployment in the UK is pretty high at the moment, so most people are finding that it is taking some time to find work.

You have to be prepared to put in a lot of effort to find a job and therefore need some savings to tied you over for accommodation etc in the beginning.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

SanDiegoGirl...great questions. And it's difficult to explain what I do now (as it's doesn't fit into a neat category), but I'm a project manager/product developer for a healthcare group. I have about 5 years of experience in that specific area. Although I also have another 10 years experience in other administrative and education roles. I know I may be taking a pretty significant step down professionally as well as a sizable paycut.

I can stay with family in either Essex or Gloucestershire while I get myself set-up and sorted. So I'm not so worried about accomodations at least initially. I also have some savings (enough that I could rent a place for six months or so without a job if I had to, although I'd rather not if I don't have to).
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Thinking about returning -- Essex or Gloucestershire?

Which part of Essex are they in? It's quite a large county.

For example, are they near the Colchester area (NE Essex, near the coast and approx 80 miles from London) or are they in the part of Essex situated on the outskirts of London and near good commuter links to the capital?

There are overground trains from say, Brentwood, Chelmsford or Harlow (and many more). Alternatively in the Epping Forest area there is the overground section of the London Underground - Central Line, coloured in red - which terminates at Epping station, or the District Line (green) which terminates at Upminster.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...t-tube-map.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf (commuter overground and Underground trains to central London)

Many people living in Essex work in the Canary Wharf financial district in East London for instance.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in a very specialized field then wherever you start out, you are probably going to need to move for the job. As Englishmum points out, parts of Essex are very convenient for commuting to London.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emma1420
So I'm considering returnin to the UK after living in the US for 20 years (I moved as a teenager, so while I have a NIN, for example, I have no work experience in the UK, no driving license, etc.). The majority of my family is spread out around the south of England. My parents and grandmother live in Gloucestershire, I have a couple step-siblings who live in London, and then my brother and hiw wife lives in Essex.

In the past anytime I've even considered going back I always assumed I would go back to Gloucestershire as that is where my parents were and that is where I grew up for the most part. However, now I'm thinking that perhaps Essex might have more decent job opportunities?

Does anyone have any advice? I've visited both places, and I know that Essex has more expensive housing in general, but I don't know much about the job opportunities, and my family isn't much help.
The unemployment being what it is in Britain, I would think applying for jobs in both and letting any success you have with that guide you and leave it to fate!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

My brother lives in Billericay so I would be hoping to be close to him.

And I agree about applying for jobs in both areas, but I probably have to start off in one, and I'd prefer to go where I have the most chances for finding a job.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:24 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

I am planning on moving back in March during the Easter holidays with my 11 and 7 year old. My family lives in Hadleigh Essex, and I am looking for places either in Southend or Wickford. The one thing you need to remember and I didnt find this out till last year that rent over there doesn't included council tax and the tenant is responsible to pay it. So you need to find out how much the council tax will be for the area. Wickford is a bit more expensive but less crime than Southend. If you dont mind doing a short term house share for a while, that maybe the way to go. However, I cant do that with two kids as it's a bit dodgy! My husband will remain in the US until I've got things sorted out over there, both my kids and myself have DC and I'll be sponsoring my husband who is a developer. Most of the jobs he has been looking at are in the London area if that helps. If you are on your own and can stay with your brother I would try that route...I wish I could but my brother and his wife have a one bed apt. so we cant do that. I'm now in the process of looking for a shipping company, plus I'm bringing both my dogs. You'll be fine if you don't mind a bit of inconvenience for a while.
Best of Luck
Alexis
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in Gloucestershire are your family; north, south etc?

If it's the south area, then you've got fairly easy commutes for jobs in Bristol/Bath etc.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Whereabouts in Gloucestershire are your family; north, south etc?

If it's the south area, then you've got fairly easy commutes for jobs in Bristol/Bath etc.
It's primarily the north of the county. Bristol/Bath typically take between 45 minutes to an hour from most of my relatives homes. Which I suspect would be a commutable distance for awhile, but it's not something I'd want to do long-term. And while I'd like to be close to family I don't need to be in the same town just within pretty easy driving distance.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma1420
It's primarily the north of the county. Bristol/Bath typically take between 45 minutes to an hour from most of my relatives homes. Which I suspect would be a commutable distance for awhile, but it's not something I'd want to do long-term. And while I'd like to be close to family I don't need to be in the same town just within pretty easy driving distance.
I agree, it's an ok commute if you are south, not so much if you're north