Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back home from Canada.

Moving back home from Canada.

Old Apr 6th 2018, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Kishasmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back home from Canada.

Hi I am really thinking about moving back to the Uk as Canadian life just isn’t for me, I have been super homesick lately and just wanted to know if anyone could help me out with some info. I am 20 years old and have now been in Canada for just over 5 years. I moved over here before I received my national insurance number so was wanting to no what the process would be like on trying I get one and how I would go on about that. Because I have been outside of the UK for 5 was would this make things more difficult with moving back? Has anyone one else been in this position, and if so any feedback and information would be grately appriciated.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 12:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back home from Canada.

Are you a British citizen?
Old Apr 6th 2018, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Kishasmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you a British citizen?
Yes I was born in the Uk and am a citizen.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 12:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kishasmith
Yes I was born in the Uk and am a citizen.
In that case you’ll only need a valid British passport to move home. If your parents ever claimed child benefit for you then the chances are you do have a NINO already. You just need to look it up:

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

If you have never had a NINO then you can call them (at the website listed above which you need to check first) and make an appointment to go to a JobcentrePlus where they will issue you with one after double checking that you were never issued with one.

Our son went through this last year and needed to bring his UK passport and proof of address in the UK. He was staying with us so we signed a letter saying he was staying with us and provided a utility bill to prove where we were living. I attended the interview with our son and was asked if we had ever claimed child benefit for him. (We hadn’t)