Ellisland Farm, Dumfries

Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ellisland Farm, Dumfries

I am just back from a visit to a place I have learned to know since I retired to my native Scotland. The Farm in Ellisland where Robert Burns was the tenant from 1788 to 1791. Every time I go I learn some more about our National Bard. This time -

On an April morning in 1789 Robert Burns witnessed an event at Ellisland whilst he was sowing grass seed, he wrote "I heard a shot, and presently a a poor little hare limped by me, apparently very much hurt. You will easily guess, this set my humanity in tears and my indignation in arms".

The following was the result-

Inhuman man! curse on thy barb'rous art,
And blasted be thy murder-aiming eye;
May never pity soothe thee with a sigh,
Nor ever pleasure glad thy cruel heart!

Go live, poor wand'rer of the wood and field!
The bitter little that of life remains:
No more the thickening brakes and verdant plains
To thee a home, or food, or pastime yield.

Seek, mangled wretch, some place of wonted rest,
No more of rest, but now thy dying bed!
The sheltering rushes whistling o'er thy head,
The cold earth with thy bloody bosom prest.

Perhaps a mother's anguish adds its woe;
The playful pair crowd fondly by thy side;
Ah! helpless nurslings, who will now provide
That life a mother only can bestow!

Oft as by winding Nith I, musing, wait
The sober eve, or hail the cheerful dawn,
I'll miss thee sporting o'er the dewy lawn,
And curse the ruffian's aim, and mourn thy hapless fate.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 10:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ellisland Farm, Dumfries

Beautifully written and very sad
Old Feb 6th 2018, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

With some corrected spelling and careful editing you could make a half-decent poem out of that.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that we welcome comments from cashiered Confederate officers.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

scot47 - thank you for sharing. Despite growing up in Troon I never did visit Robert Burns’ cottage in Alloway. Definitely on my to-do list when we return to Scotland this summer.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

That is so beautiful but oh, so sad!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is Alloway, which is Nationa Trust for Scotland. There is also Ellisland outside the village of Auldgirth. I prefer the latter. I am making arrangements to bring Pulaski to Scotland and show him around. A visit to Ellisland is de rigeur.

https://www.ellislandfarm.co.uk/

Last edited by scot47; Feb 6th 2018 at 9:07 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
scot47 - thank you for sharing. Despite growing up in Troon I never did visit Robert Burns’ cottage in Alloway. Definitely on my to-do list when we return to Scotland this summer.
They now have a really good visitor centre and café just across from the old Alloway kirk which is just down the road from Burns cottage.
Worth a visit - with or without correct spelling.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alloway is too big for my taste I like Ellisland - and the site where Burns saw the wounded hare that touched his heart and moved his pen.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Alloway is too big for my taste I like Ellisland - and the site where Burns saw the wounded hare that touched his heart and moved his pen.
I assume that you started this thread to encourage any expats returning - even for a visit - to explore Burns country.
I added the visitor centre as an additional point of interest not instead of your suggestion.
HTH
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks I am sure you know that we Scots are a disputatious folk who love a good discussion ! Any who doubt that should make a short study of the History of the Scottish Church !

You are right about my intentions, They were to interest folk in Burns and his real heritage to all of us. And an awareness of the wonders of Ayr and Dumfries.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://johnfinnie.scot/2018/04/06/n...eless-animals/

A thoroughly modern sentiment by Burns, echoed here by John Finnie, MSP.