Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back during recession????

Wikiposts

Moving back during recession????

Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving back during recession????

Personally I'm a dual citizen, I think most people realise the credit crunch is global, but obviously some people will be better off in the US, some may be better off in the UK, all depends on personal circumstances Most people have numerous reasons for moving, I can't see people moving only because of the UK economy.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scbrit
Personally I'm a dual citizen, I think most people realise the credit crunch is global, but obviously some people will be better off in the US, some may be better off in the UK, all depends on personal circumstances Most people have numerous reasons for moving, I can't see people moving only because of the UK economy.
I'm a dual citizen too considering a move back to the UK to escape the recession here. Maybe we should do a house swap!? LOL
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:49 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midaho
Onepearlyb

can i ask why you are going back now you are here. I am newly here and will be working on PR once my course is over.

Am I chasing something that isnt there?
HA!! OOOOOOhhhh - What a can of worms this question is!
Look, everyone's circumstances are so different in relation to why they choose to stay or go back.
For us - it just hasn't worked out and the place just isn't for us for so many reasons. We weren't able to afford to buy here when we thought we could originally. I wasn't able to find a job I wanted to do. Hubbie hates his bosses and job. I've been here twice before - and now just feel it's not where I want to be. These, amongst other personal reasons are why we have chosen to return.
You'll decide for yourself whether it's where you can see yourself settling or not.
All the best and remember - nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Crystal...yes, I'm not sure I'd want to be a teacher in the UK. My kids spent a day in a UK high school last July and told me the teachers had to blow a whistle to get any sort of momentary attention. It's not so much getting a job now that worries me, but in around 12 months time when we'd go back - and the recession had really bitten deep.

Originally Posted by crystal23
If you are going back to the Midlands I can think of 3 jobs right away you could apply for. Not in your field (as you are a teacher I believe) but just to get in the job market to begin with. Almost 50 isn't old and I think you'll find these days companies in the UK tend to prefer 'mature' workers who are reliable.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Ta John, I shall have a bit of a browse to see what's going. We've been quite amazed at the UK job market so far. Hubby has a job that pays reasonably well here but he's found there seems to be a 45-50 thousand quid cap on jobs there (apart from finance jobs in London)...this is another big worry for us. Are we looking in the wrong places or is this really the most he could earn in the UK?
Originally Posted by johnh009
Hi there, at least, as a start, try this site:

www.jobsite.co.uk
Old Sep 1st 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

We don't have a choice...if we don't go now with our 15 yr old son, we'd miss being able to put him through university in the UK (don't get me started on the stupid rules there). Hence, it's now or never!
Originally Posted by le plumber
So I think to come back would be great, but probably not now. ..!!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 11:58 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezzie
Ta John, I shall have a bit of a browse to see what's going. We've been quite amazed at the UK job market so far. Hubby has a job that pays reasonably well here but he's found there seems to be a 45-50 thousand quid cap on jobs there (apart from finance jobs in London)...this is another big worry for us. Are we looking in the wrong places or is this really the most he could earn in the UK?

What does your hubby do and where are you looking?

I've said in a couple of posts to keep all options open when looking for work. ie. don't just rely on agencies but look up companies and apply directly to them. You may be doing that already, I don't know, but alot of people stick to recruitment agencies when there are other ways of getting jobs
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

GIS & delivery management (don't ask me what all that means!!!!)
It's a small industry so hard looking without it getting back to employers here.

Originally Posted by crystal23
What does your hubby do and where are you looking?

I've said in a couple of posts to keep all options open when looking for work. ie. don't just rely on agencies but look up companies and apply directly to them. You may be doing that already, I don't know, but alot of people stick to recruitment agencies when there are other ways of getting jobs
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

This is a terribly interesting thread I don't think there is a person on the planet that wants to move home more than me, but I have been thinking some of the things echoed on here. I don't for a minute think it is/will be any better in Oz than in the UK when the bad times kick in. I think the question is, will it be a good time to move anywhere, because no matter how much you get sorted beforehand (jobs etc). Unless you're luck and score a relocation pkg there is always a cost to moving.

I thought my wife's degree ended at the end of next year but it turns out it's early 2010, which ma not be a bad thing in terms of seeing which way the financial wind is blowing. I'll probably go on ahead Oct/Nov 09 and set some things up, house etc My skills are usually in demand, especially as my job is to save money for my company But I'll not leave without a written offer, but relocation agencies have already shown a strong interest in me so I'm fairly confident.

Looking at some house prices etc, I'd be interested in your thoughts on our situation. I'm 43 and m wife is 36, we have no kids and aren't having any, (my prev marriage child support payments will be more or less over by then). In the UK, outside of London (obviously more in London) we would earn GBP 75-80k plus bonus etc as a minimum between us (and a fiar bit more when my wife becomes a CPA), and will be taking about GBP130k in cash (no house here). No other debts of any kind, degree is paid for in advance.

In the climate ahead, are we in a good position?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
This is a terribly interesting thread I don't think there is a person on the planet that wants to move home more than me, but I have been thinking some of the things echoed on here. I don't for a minute think it is/will be any better in Oz than in the UK when the bad times kick in. I think the question is, will it be a good time to move anywhere, because no matter how much you get sorted beforehand (jobs etc). Unless you're luck and score a relocation pkg there is always a cost to moving.

I thought my wife's degree ended at the end of next year but it turns out it's early 2010, which ma not be a bad thing in terms of seeing which way the financial wind is blowing. I'll probably go on ahead Oct/Nov 09 and set some things up, house etc My skills are usually in demand, especially as my job is to save money for my company But I'll not leave without a written offer, but relocation agencies have already shown a strong interest in me so I'm fairly confident.

Looking at some house prices etc, I'd be interested in your thoughts on our situation. I'm 43 and m wife is 36, we have no kids and aren't having any, (my prev marriage child support payments will be more or less over by then). In the UK, outside of London (obviously more in London) we would earn GBP 75-80k plus bonus etc as a minimum between us (and a fiar bit more when my wife becomes a CPA), and will be taking about GBP130k in cash (no house here). No other debts of any kind, degree is paid for in advance.

In the climate ahead, are we in a good position?
In my opinion, never a better time to go back. The pound is relatively low, house prices have a downword pressure, interest rates on your investments are good, and the job market is active. But, hold off on the house purchase. I suspect they are in a boom/bust cycle and pentup demand may increase after year or so.

Don't forget, the UK has the 2012 summmer olympics and this will create a lot of work.

Last edited by johnh009; Sep 2nd 2008 at 4:25 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
In my opinion, never a better time to go back. The pound is relatively low, house prices have a downword pressure, interest rates on your investments are good, and the job market is active. But, hold off on the house purchase. I suspect they are in a boom/bust cycle and pentup demand may increase after year or so.

Don't forget, the UK has the 2012 summmer olympics and this will create a lot of work.
Thanks John,

Totally agree about the Olympics. BTW we were in Paris the day they announced London had won. Boy that was pretty sweet
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you are moving back after 22 years have you thought about pension entitlements and I know there have been threads around that say Aus does not pay any funds to the UK. If you have super I guess you transfer it or take it with you but you will be short of 22 years of paying into the UK system.

In my opinion I think things will get tough we have been building on sand since the Regan Thatcher years and of course everyone knows what happens building on sand.

All the creative accounting that has gone on in the end its widgets and China has them all.

I have lived in Aus for a long long time now and am always pleased to get back here. Know people who have gone back to the UK then come back again etc.

Just too many people everywhere in Europe for me. Like the idea of being out of the way. Like On the Beach.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own I s'pose!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you have super I guess you transfer it or take it with you but you will be short of 22 years of paying into the UK system.
You guess wrong.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ezzie
My life suddenly had more meaning as I had a plan to get back home. I'd researched, plotted but am now panicking as with the recession (and we know few countries will be immune) getting jobs when nearly 50 yrs old, & being paid anything close to what we're paid here is going to be a nightmare. Add to that returning with older children and I'm wondering how possible it'll be at all.

We don't have supportive families, have been away for 22 years and are wondering what others think about our prospects. Stories we're hearing now aren't just the 'country's gone to the dogs' type, they're about how difficult it is to just make ends meet each month - and this is from people who are on reasonable wages.

Has it affected anyone elses decisions?
Are you sure you've give it long enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.