Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back during recession????

Wikiposts

Moving back during recession????

Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving back during recession????

Originally Posted by crystal23
The jobs I thought of are female-oriented. Sorry. I'll pm them to you if you like but I honestly don't think you would be interested.

If you haven't already, have you thought about looking at jobs at places directly such as local councils, NHS trusts, schools, colleges etc etc. From your posts you seem to be relying on agencies to put your cv out for you.

To get into the job market what about considering working as a traffic warden (no piss taking please), a hospital porter, warehouse picking, courier driving, delivering Tesco direct orders, airport security (you'd need a 5 year checkable work history for that and security clearance).

I'm sure none of those jobs would be what you want long term but they would give you an income to start with, UK experience and a reference for when you move on.

The other thing is that companies are starting to hire extra staff for Xmas (although they may be cutting the numbers taken on because of the credit crunch - I don't know). What about checking that out?

If I think of anything else I'll post it.
I look awful with a wig, so thanks for the heads up.
I am looking at everything, at the moment, not just cv warehouses and head hunters.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
I look awful with a wig, so thanks for the heads up.
I am looking at everything, at the moment, not just cv warehouses and head hunters.

I heard it was the stillies and suspenders that didn't suit you

Just thought of another possibilty. Royal Mail usually take on extra staff for the Xmas period so might be worth googling them to see when they are recruiting.

I imagine the jobs I mentioned are below your capabilities and skills but I personally think it's best to keep all your options open especially as you are moving to the UK with a very limited amount of money and want your wife and child with you asap.

Just remember that once you've got a foot in the door other opportunities could open up for you.

Good luck
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Definately depends on what type of work you are looking for and the area. We moved back in 07, found there were waiting lists for warehouse work, due to so many Eastern Europeans finding work in that area. My husband and I have seen alot of redundancies at our places of work (I work in accounts, and hubby is in retail), its definately a worry for my hubby and I that we could be next and there isn't as many jobs as there use to in the paper. Some employers have hiring freezes, retail are cutting hours, I know some legal firms/estate agents have been laying off people. My brother is an architect and is about bankcrupt, unable to find much work and trying to sell a house he had developed. There are jobs out there, I saw quite a few in nursing homes etc. in the paper. I would personally just make sure you have enough funds in case it takes a while to get work. Hope for the best prepare for the worst! Good Luck..
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Midaho will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
This is a subject you can't ignore if your going back to the Uk, but I think the panic or negativity that you hear is just part of general UK complaining - we do it so well!
I was back there in March and April this year and I was shocked at how CHEAP food and clothing was. There's so much competition there that they've no option but to sell cheaper than their competitors. Asda have been doing clothes for ages now, but I found their clothes even cheaper than before AND better quality than any Oz stuff I have to buy here.
We are going back with the same house deposit we came out here with. We are both in jobs which we "should" find easily enough when we get back or hopefully before we get back ( nursing and insurance ) Already had interest there so not as concerned about that one.
We plan to rent for 3 months when we get back and househunt inbetween. My aim is to offer well below the asking price.We can offer a quick settlement as we'll be renting which may suit some sellers out there. I'm just trying to get us settled quickly with a great house,affordable mortgage for once and the type of jobs we had before we left there. I can't forsee us being in trouble financially if we're on the same wages as before we left and have the same mortgage.( actually we'll be asking to borrow LOWER than we've ever had )

Maybe that's just naievety, but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. People would be leaving in droves if it was. We know the press and the British LOVE to complain. Mind you - having lived in Oz for long enough - I think the ozzies are catching up!
Onepearlyb

can i ask why you are going back now you are here. I am newly here and will be working on PR once my course is over.

Am I chasing something that isnt there?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

guyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to all

We're selling up and are about to move to the states and to be honest, I feel like Leo Di Caprio at the start of Titanic, just leaping on board before they close the door behind me.

Britain is about to be hit by an economic storm and people are just about waking up to how bad its going to be.

Read Alistair Darlings interview in the guardian yesterday. He admits its going to be the worst period we've had for 60 years - and he's the chancellor!

Nowhere is immune but Britain is particularly badly placed because everybody (myself included) is up to their eyeballs in debt.

An example - we put our house up for sale in NOrth Oxfordshire, lovely residential area, near a school, 2 bed semi, great condition etc for £182k. Six months later, we've taken £160k for it, and that was the first offer we've had.

ALso read Jeff Randall in the Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai.../ccjeff127.xml

"In case you missed Monday's news - you probably had better things to do on a bank holiday than trawl through the business press - allow me to pass on a report in The Financial Times: employment lawyers and legal helplines are experiencing a sharp rise in businesses seeking advice on how to sack staff. Ding dong! This is your wake-up call. The final piece in the jigsaw of gloom is about to drop into place."

oh and btw - the country IS going to the dogs too.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scbrit
Definately depends on what type of work you are looking for and the area. We moved back in 07, found there were waiting lists for warehouse work, due to so many Eastern Europeans finding work in that area. My husband and I have seen alot of redundancies at our places of work (I work in accounts, and hubby is in retail), its definately a worry for my hubby and I that we could be next and there isn't as many jobs as there use to in the paper. Some employers have hiring freezes, retail are cutting hours, I know some legal firms/estate agents have been laying off people. My brother is an architect and is about bankcrupt, unable to find much work and trying to sell a house he had developed. There are jobs out there, I saw quite a few in nursing homes etc. in the paper. I would personally just make sure you have enough funds in case it takes a while to get work. Hope for the best prepare for the worst! Good Luck..
Hi scbrit, just wondered where abouts in Northants are you and where are you heading to? Just out of interest like (proper nosey, me!) we're from Northampton, Great Billing in fact.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:05 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

There are loads of lay offs up North at the moment. Northern Rock just shed 1300 and Landrover has gone on a 4 day week. A few jobs i applied for turned up nill. Pubs are quiet too at the weekend. Getting scary really, just like the 80's all over.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Hi scbrit, just wondered where abouts in Northants are you and where are you heading to? Just out of interest like (proper nosey, me!) we're from Northampton, Great Billing in fact.
We're in a village near Daventry at the moment, and we are heading back to South Carolina in January (via Disney for the kids!)
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with guyb about the country going to the dogs. UK is a great place to live and has lots to offer, it just doesn't have what we want as a family right now.

To the OP, I think that you are right to be cautious about job prospects & finances, things are changing rapidly in the UK at the moment. Costs in the supermarket for example are rising on an almost weekly basis. Those who visited earlier in the year would notice a significant difference now. Fuel prices, (gas, elec) have already seen significant above inflation rises & this is forecast to get worse. There are many businesses really starting to struggle, particularly anything related to building industry.
However, is your decision to return based on economics or something deeper, in which case, does it really matter?

Good luck with your decision btw!

Last edited by Sally Simpson; Aug 31st 2008 at 4:31 am.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
My life suddenly had more meaning as I had a plan to get back home. I'd researched, plotted but am now panicking as with the recession (and we know few countries will be immune) getting jobs when nearly 50 yrs old, & being paid anything close to what we're paid here is going to be a nightmare. Add to that returning with older children and I'm wondering how possible it'll be at all.

We don't have supportive families, have been away for 22 years and are wondering what others think about our prospects. Stories we're hearing now aren't just the 'country's gone to the dogs' type, they're about how difficult it is to just make ends meet each month - and this is from people who are on reasonable wages.

Has it affected anyone elses decisions?

I think this is a very interesting subject - I'm having the same kind of worries as yourself.

I would really like to go back to the UK, and, like yourself, I really got excited about it. But, again like yourself, I am having doubts as I think if you do decide to go home at this present time it would be wise to have plenty of cash to fall back on.
I do think though that it is hard to make ends meet at the moment - my sister and her husband are the perfect example. Without going too much into it, they were the last people in my family who I thought would have a hard time during a reccession.....
Personnally I don't have a house to sell, but then again I don't have any debts either, but does that mean I'm in a good position??

As for finding a job I'm not too sure either. At the moment I'm a self employed plumber/heating engineer in France and when I look on the UK job center website I don't see that many jobs on offer.....

So I think to come back would be great, but probably not now. Not for me anyway. I will wait at least another year I think when house prices will be nearly at rock bottom in around 2010. Its the same for rents too - people wont be able to sell their houses so they will try renting them. This will in turn increase the number of properties available, which in turn, (logically), will make the rents (which at present I find very expensive), come down.

So, depending on your personal circumstances, it may be wise to wait a little before hand, especially if you have no supportive familly/friends around to help out. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.........!!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, those moving to the USA to escape a recession are in for a huge shock when they get here.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
Gosh, those moving to the USA to escape a recession are in for a huge shock when they get here.
You are are assuming that people don't have jobs lined up and they haven't researched anything?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
Hey Yorkshirelass I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

You are are assuming that people don't have jobs lined up and they haven't researched anything?
No, I'm actually assuming that you have a job lined up -- I mean you'd have to to be moving here, wouldn't you? It is just a lot more expensive/harder here than people realise.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't move to the US unless I had a good job to go to, which in my case would be in academia. Although the US has better job opportunities for me, I would rather not live there on a permanent basis though. I certainly wouldn't go there to escape a global recession..........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.